Trap training advice...

Knucklesamich

Caucasion Style Dance Ins
Dont feel like my traps are growing at the same rate as everything else. Any tips on some excerises or techincs. thanks

What im doing:
Deadlifts - 4x3-5 @ 225, 315, 335, 365

Barbell shrugs - 3x10 @ 225, 315, 315

Seems like your using too much weight compared to deads. There is no way your traps are that strong if your using the right technique and your doing deads at 365 lbs.

Here`s what i`d do:

1: Use dumbbells instead of a barbell.

2: Use less weight.

3: Less reps (4-6) or (3-5)

4: focus on using full range of motion. Right technique has top priority in every exercise.

A lot of guys at my gym tries to use to much weight and ends up just moving the db`s or bb a couple of centimetres and nothing ever happens to their trap development.

Last edited:
Barbell shrugs really only hit the upper traps, and overworking them can create rotator cuff problems so don't overdo it.

That said I prefer higher reps, 15-20.

Heavy shrugs with low reps and lighter shrugs with higher reps. Changing things around will help them grow.

Im fat, but my traps are one thing that I enjoy.

Bent over t-bar rows are great (Make sure you pause and squeeze at the top)

Shrugs are good, but if you go too heavy you'll just be wasting your time and looking like an idiot.

i for one believe shrugs to be a waste of time considering the outcome.

Deadlift heavy and you'll have traps
Add some upright rows if you want to BB-style work them a little more.

farmers walk

I like these as well and seem less boring than plain old shrugs. However I still like shrugs. I use moderate weight with high reps. Other days I'll use heavy weight with lower reps but at the ends of either I'll just hold the weight until I lose my grip and drop the weight into the rake. If my grip gives out before I've finished I'll cheat and grab some straps.

Barbell shrugs really only hit the upper traps, and overworking them can create rotator cuff problems so don't overdo it.

That said I prefer higher reps, 15-20.

Funny you say that...

A few weeks ago during a set of DB shoulder press(85lbs) I felt heat and a feeling that something was out of place in my left shoulder. Finished the set and my arm felt kinda numb and hurt just to move it. Went to the doc and he said I may have strained a muscle in my rotator cuff. Took a week off, came back light and it was just a little sore since then. 2 nights ago I felt the same pain just 10x worse while doing a set of flat BB bench. Shoulder is wrecked now. Cant even sleep on that side. Could this be due to over doing the shrugs?? I did hit them pretty hard that training day before. Cant get back into the doctor for another 2 weeks:worried:

A side note also: I broke my left collar bone a few years ago too... left shoulder has never felt the same since.

I also do Upright rows when training shoulders, and Bend over BB rows on back day... never heard of the farmers walk??

Flat BB bench and upright rows are two exercises that have been shown to lead to injuries. Doggcrapp does not use these in his training for a reason. I don't follow DC training but i respect everything that man has to say because it is well thought out.

Flat BB bench and upright rows are two exercises that have been shown to lead to injuries. Doggcrapp does not use these in his training for a reason. I don't follow DC training but i respect everything that man has to say because it is well thought out.

because of improper technique.

I also do Upright rows when training shoulders, and Bend over BB rows on back day... never heard of the farmers walk??
Brad_Cardoza_farmers_walk.jpg

pick up and walk

easily done with dumbbells

Upright rows I cannot even do anymore unless they are light enough for a toddler. My shrug work is half the weight I used to use and never barbell (weight is forward), I only use the machine now and again has to be very light so its never to failure. In other words shrugging motions messed up my shoulder/neck area pretty badly after at one point working with as much as 600 on the barbell for my reps.

I do heavy shrugs...I start at 135-25 then 225-25 then 315 for 10 (correctly) then i go up in weight and do a 5 by 8 heavy...barbell shrugs...

if you are lucky enough to have a gym with a seated shrug machine, that you can load plates on, use that because you can not really cheat by using your whole body to bring the weights up, but you still have to use good form...

i agree with farmers walk and deads..but even though your loading weight on for deads, you generally dont do enough reps when doing deads to effectively hit the traps good enough in my opinion...if your going to do deads, why not throw in some trap work after your done with your deads providing your not blown up from the dead workout...

i find dumbell presses are ok, but i see to many guys in the gym trying to use to much weight when doing them and they dont get the effectiveness of the exercise...not to mention most guys look as if they are doing uncline presses as they do them anyhow..

my .02

e

i guess i should add rack deads...that's alot of weight for reps. do them every week and get back to me in a month and tell me your traps aren't bigger.

Back