Umbilical Hernia surgery. Anyone with experience??

BeastMaster

I'm sure there are quite a few but I was wondering if any of you had umbilical hernia surgery and what was the post surgery recover like. I'm going in for the surgery this upcoming Tuesday. Doc said it is very small and doesn't need any mesh lining, said a few stitches will do the trick. This injury was work related and the only reason I am getting it taken care of. He told me it's a 6 week recovery to begin training again. He also told me after a few weeks I I wants to do isolation movements without contracting or straining the abdomen I should be fine. If anyone has felt with this what was your recovery like? I can see myself trying to train a week post surgery lol. Any who your input is appreciated.

I had an emergency gall bladder surgery two yrs ago. The general surgeon removed the gall bladder bringing it out through my umbilical. I can't opine on the hernia aspect, but for me, the surgery was a snap. I wasn't sore at all after two days. In fact, day one wasn't bad at all. It sounds painful, I know, but it isn't, and I'm sure you'll recover quickly. Btw, I was 39 when I had the surgery. Best wishes bro!

Btw, with your case being hernia, I'd say your doc is exactly right to stay away from contracting the abdomen very hard. I can't see six weeks, but in today's lawsuit world, your doc is being conservative, and covering his tail. On a happier note, I took off at least two weeks from the gym, and did cardio only on my Exercycle. When I went back to the gym, boom, I made new gains, and had wicked pumps. Moral of the story, the time off did my muscles well.

I have had surgery for an umbilical hernia, I actually have to go get a ventral hernia fixed now too, lol, bullshit. Anyways, the recovers isn't that bad at all. Youre going to experience discomfort and bloat for the first week or two, that will die down though, then its just a matter of the wound healing. 6 weeks you should be back at 100%, you can start lifting before that, but be very careful to not lift heavy and to breath properly, and leave out certain excersises. Yours doenst sound to bad if its only matter of a few stiches fixin er up, so you might recover even faster than that, Im just going off when I had mine done.

The reason hes telling you to do a full 6 weeks is because if you break your abdomen wall again in that same area it is going to be much worse than the first time and harder to fix, and in turn a longer recovery. you don't want to be doing that. also if it breaks though again and for some reason constricts you have a major fucking issue on your hands. Of course that's worst case scenario but its best to be cautious.

Last edited:
Had mine done last summer, had aabout a ping pong ball sized lump just top right of belly button. Doc made tiny incision in belly button "hole" and pushed my guts back through where they needed to be, and stitched in the Teflon mesh. I asked him about lifting and he told me with that patch there is nothing I could possibly do to ruin what he just performed, so pain will be my only handicap. I got home, outpatient thing, about 2 hrs after surgery, I was literally working on my race car the rest of the afternoon, as I was the rest of the week....doc made it mandatory I take a week off, but I literally should've and could've been back to work that same day of surgery and there after....but got drag car sorted out that week and boom, paid time off LOL.

Now after the fact, I've been getting heavier and harder with squats/dL's, and to be honest, there are times I feel the tiny suctures inside my gut...it's kind of hard to explain but it's like you ccan feel the knots or something rubbing inside me. It doesn't hurt, but it feels...strange, and because it feels strange it kinda makes me feel whoozy for a split second cuz I know what it is and it's just weird LOL.

Piece of cake, glad I had it done, recovery was a snap in my case thank god...not so much when I had my sinoplasty-that was hell for months.

Good luck

thanks for all the replies guys, is pretty relieving hearing your feedback on the recovery! Heading off to the office now! Lets do this..

I had a strangulated hernia around 8 years ago. That's when I started out weight training which made it pop. That was a bitch to recover from. The doc said no lifting for 3 months, although two days after that I was doing some bench pressing with my brother in law in his home gym. Haha.

Good luck brother, hope surgery goes well and you have as speedy of a recovery as I did!! Have to post back when you get your wits about ya and let us know how your feelin...or post back when you get up in the recovery room and all jacked up LOL

Listen to your doc. I had a full sternotomy for OHS, my doc said no driving for 6 weeks, no working out for 12 weeks. My strength had went down to less than half and muscles were soft.

It was almost 6 weeks before my sternum felt solid enough to turn a steering wheel. I started benching again at 10 weeks, until a nightmare about my sternum ripping in half.

Bottom line is a few weeks is nothing- piece of mind is everything

Going to rehash your post with something that has been getting worse with me and now I have an appointment tomorrow to get a referral to get with a surgeon and fix my latest happening. About 4 months ago I started to notice when I stretched out (arms over head and leaning backwards) there was a thing under my skin just above my belly button area that looked like the scene from Aliens when it popped out of the chicks stomach...same thing here. Started as a little lump and has been progressively getting larger and is now to the point after my heavy days with squats/deadlifts that bump pushes itself out without me leaning back, and that area is red and very sensitive...the other day I started googling different types of hernias men get and Ventral Hernia is what I have, best I can tell....hernia developed due to past surgical procedure. If you have any experience welding, the best way to describe it is it's just like making a weld repair on rusting metal. Sure you fix the initial problem but melting the metal to make the repair takes away metal from an area next to repair, weakening it even more....so then another hernia forms through this weakened area. From what I've watched they will now installa much larger mesh patch inside my gut to reinforce everything.

So we'll see what happens in the near future. So tonight I had to modify my workout so as not to aggrevate it any worse than it already is and am going back to daily body part workout vs the madcow routine.

Anybody else finding this, ask your doctor about this being a possible side effect and if there is a way to prevent it, because now I will have to have another surgery and take another lull from hard workouts while my body heals itself.

Back