When *YOU* deadlift...

What stance width do you use for DeadLifts???

• Shoulder Width or narrower

Votes: 170 86.3%
  • Sumo Stance.. Im talkin about W-I-D-E!!!

Votes: 27 13.7%

• Total voters
I'm 6'2" and I use a shoulder width stance. I'm not against doing sumo once in a while to change it up.

I pull conventional but have working to bring my sumo pull up a bit. I hope to go back and set a PR on conventional in the next 5 weeks.

Ohh...I'm 6'2".

B True

it was metioned earlier, adjust your grip to what you are concentrating on, i.e. sumo hits the legs harder, a shoulder width stance puts more on teh back and shoulders.

ive tried sumo but dont like the way it feels in my hips . no pain but it feels odd so im not usually doing them but the very rare accasion to shock my lift after regular deads .

5FT10 striaght up deadlifts like the pic up top but not 5 plates yet , but closing in . back to the old grindstone .

Shoulder width. 5'8"
Clubfoot - I know exactly what you are talking about. down to the flat feet. If you are left handed too then its getting weird.

For some reason I cannot get any power in the sumo position. I have to use shoulder width stance because their is about a 300lb difference between them for me.

I have just started using sumos now, trying to increase strenght in my hams and glutes.

I prefer sumo personally... a wide stance with my arms coming down to shoulder width. That way I can do squats for quads and a little of the lower back, and deads for the lower back and a little of the quads... works out nicely

I always use the conventional stance, catalyst has an interesting point, I might try that the next deadlift day

Big Ditto to Club Foot.

Sumo is a much more natural stance for me, and the commentary on his bone structure is similar to mine. I have shorter legs, long ish arms, short rib cage, but long abdomen.

I can go heavier with sumo, and it feels more natural, whereas shoulder width feels a lil disjointed, and I feel myself really concsious of my form

I have virtually the same structure as well, plus like Club Foot, the flat feet as well and I too find Sumo feels more natural.

BuddyBoy said:
Big Ditto to Club Foot.

Sumo is a much more natural stance for me, and the commentary on his bone structure is similar to mine. I have shorter legs, long ish arms, short rib cage, but long abdomen.

I can go heavier with sumo, and it feels more natural, whereas shoulder width feels a lil disjointed, and I feel myself really concsious of my form

Big ditto.

Personally, sumo style, over-under grip is the way I was taught, and the way that feels more natural to me. Besides, I do deads to work my legs more than my back, so sumo works well for me.

Back