When *YOU* deadlift...

What stance width do you use for DeadLifts???

• Shoulder Width or narrower

Votes: 170 86.3%
  • Sumo Stance.. Im talkin about W-I-D-E!!!

Votes: 27 13.7%

• Total voters
I prefer shoulder width stance myself, although once in a while I will do sumo. I also primarily stick to stiff legged deads as well.

I go sumo, since I had an L1-L3 fusion/reconstruction surgery a few years ago, and I want to take the strain off the lower back. Never deadlifted before the surgery, but I suspect I would have gone shoulder width if I had.

5'10" with long levers. I do them Snatch-grip shoulder-width stance usually off of a box primarily for overall back development, overall practical strength improvement for real-world lifting, injury prevention, and increased vertical jump.

tad69 said:
5'11" I do sumo with a dual overhand grip.

Damn, you must masturbate alot to get forearms like that LOL I use an alternating grip (switch it up set to set), shoulder width stance - 6'2", tried sumo and its near impossible, just feels awkward.

5' 10"/alternate grip/sumo because:

i do deads to train my legs primarily.

much much much less pressure on my back.

feels more natural.

don't wanna sound stupid.. but can someone tell me or show pictures or what the difference of sumo and shoulder is.
i don't knwo what sumo stance is :(

Basically, if your hands are outside your legs, it's conventional. And if your hands are inside your legs, it's sumo. Literally think of a sumo wrestler, with that real wide stance. As opposed to conventional, which for me is about shoulder width. With sumo, you have less distance to pull, but it's more stress on your ass and hamstrings. Or so I've heard, lol.

I do mine shoulder width and i'm only 5'4" though right now but i'm only 15, but I can still deadlift a lot.

i do mine a little less than shoulder width

why? my posterior chain is by far and away the strongest part of my body....wide stance completely takes that out of the deadlift which for me is no good

Well hamstrings are part of the posterior chain and wide stance will hit those more directly than conventional. But whatever works.

And there's no way to take the posterior chain out of a deadlift no matter what your stance is. Low back, hip flexors, ass, hamstrings. They're still doing the work.

I have seen EMG graphs of the spinal erectors during both roman/standard/shoulder width deads and sumo style deads and there is literally no difference in levels. If i can dig it (its a bit old) up i will.

Back