who here takes glutamine?

snake

I almost never pay attention to what supp store have to offer. ie GNC, for the most part I think most off there products are junk, in terms of body building supps that is. I came to this conclusion by the hundreds and hundres of hard earned dollars that I spent there when I was in high school. I don't even think creatine works that well. Any ways my point being I still here alot about glutamine. Who around here takes it and what have you experienced? what is it used for and? Does it help prevent muscle loss after a cycle? if so how?

thanks for any info

I think glutamine is one of the most over-hyped, yet useless products out there. Maybe others have had different results, but I've used it as part of diet stack, mass stacks, etc, and never noticed anything. Now the only supps I buy are protein, joint stuff, and creatine sometimes when bridging

I take it......... but I can't honestly say it does anything for me. It's probably more of a mental thing than anything for me, plus it certainly won't hurt you.....except maybe your wallet.....LOL !!

I take glutimine when I diet because it kills the desire for carbs and helps the immune system. I fully agree nothing magical about it.

glutamine= worthless IMO.

best thng glutamine ever did for me was help me get better a littl faster when i got sick. It is overyped and damn near worthless.

Im taking 6 supps right now and getting great results and glutamine is one of them, so I dont know if its good or not.

L-Glutamine is an amino acid that is quite prevalent in the body naturally. Sir Hans Krebs, a pioneer in glutamine research, stated once that "most amino acids have multiple functions, but glutamine appears to be the most versatile." Let's look at what L-Glutamine is, and what it does with regard to the body.

"L-Glutamine is an amino acid, and amino acids are small molecules used by the human body to construct proteins. L-Glutamine is part of many of the proteins our bodies produce, including proteins in muscles, immune cells and the protective lining of the intestines.

Under normal circumstances, the body is capable of manufacturing all the L-Glutamine it needs to create these proteins. When the body is under stress from illness or even vigorous exercise, muscle tissue releases L-Glutamine to meet immediate demands in other parts of the body.

Some nutritionists believe that the body's demand for glutamine may exceed its ability to produce it when the body is under stress for a long period of time, as in HIV infection. One study presented at the 1989 world AIDS conference suggested that the glutamine levels in people with AIDS are 30 per cent lower than they are in both HIV-negative people and those who are newly infected."1

Under these circumstances (stress or exercise), supplementing L-Glutamine would therefore be recommended. Stress can also come in many forms. In one of my recent natural health classes, my instructor, Dr. Dennis Frerking said, "There are three forms of stress: structural, emotional or spiritual." Any of these types of stress can deplete the body's nutrients and lead to disease (dis - ease), that is, a lack of "ease" in the body. That can be one definition of disease. And, in fact, many recent studies indicate the importance of stress with relation to disease. Supplementing L-Glutamine can benefit immune response.

"Glutamine is an important component of many of the proteins in human white cells. Ensuring the body has adequate levels of glutamine at its disposal may also help it to maintain its levels of immune cells. One small study of patients who had undergone bone marrow transplants and were being fed intravenously showed higher levels of CD4+ and CD8+ cells during recovery in those given glutamine. Several studies have shown that people recovering from serious illnesses and operations have fewer infections when they're given supplements of glutamine. It is not clear what sort of effect glutamine would have on the immune system of an HIV-positive person."2

This is not to suggest that L-Glutamine is a "cure" for HIV infection. Simply that L-Glutamine helps support the immune system. Therefore, it is beneficial in maintaining good health.

One of the main reasons to consider L-Glutamine supplementation, however, is "closer to the heart" of the low carb dieter! That is, it's ability to relieve symptoms of craving. L-Glutamine appears to act on the brain directly to naturally suppress and relieve cravings.

"Glutamic acid, with the help of vitamin B6 and manganese, is also a precursor of gaba (gamma-aminobutyric acid), an important neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. Glutamic acid helps transport potassium into the spinal fluid and is itself an excitatory neurotransmitter. (gaba, however, is inhibitory.) Glutamic acid thus has been used in the treatment of fatigue, parkinsonism, schizophrenia, mental retardation, muscular dystrophy, and alcoholism. Supplemented as L-Glutamine, it penetrates the blood-brain barrier and can be used as a brain fuel. Research has shown that L-Glutamine, in a dose of 500 mg. four times daily, decreases the craving for alcohol. This amino acid is now commonly used in alcoholism clinics. L-Glutamine also seems to reduce the craving for sugar and carbohydrates and so may be helpful for some people in dealing with obesity or sugar abuse. It may also help in the healing of ulcers."3

So we see that L-Glutamine is extremely useful in fighting cravings, especially those related to carbohydrate and sugar! This is a major reason to consider L-Glutamine if you are burdened with uncontrollable desire for carbohydrates. In one study, on a college campus, two groups of students were allowed free access to vending machines with high sugar foods. One group was given L-Glutamine while the other was given a placebo. The placebo group consumed four times as much sweets as the L-Glutamine group.

L-Glutamine has been used, with great success in fighting other types of cravings and addictions. In a controlled study a group of Alcoholics were supplemented with L-Glutamine without their knowledge (L-Glutamine is odorless.) A reduction in alcohol consumption was seen in 77% of the cases.

"The amino acid (protein building block) glutamine appears to blunt the craving for alcohol in human research studies. Take 200 mg glutamine in tablet or capsule form 5 times daily for 6 weeks. If effective, your response should be improvement of sleep, lessened anxiety, and a reduced desire to drink."4

Supplementation with L-Glutamine is recommended to suppress cravings while dieting, or while fighting any uncontrolled urge. L-Glutamine is the "craving fighter!"

1 and 2 "L-Glutamine" Michael Smith, associate dean of research, The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine, January 2000

3 "Staying Healthy with Nutrition, The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine", Elson M. Haas, M.D., Celestial Arts.

4 "The Doctor's Complete Guide to Vitamins and Minerals," Mary Dan Eades, M.D., Dell Publishing Group, May 1994.

Who knows, I take so much shit it would be hard to singal out one particular thing.
1) 1000 MGS ESTER VITAMIN C 4X DAILY

2) 1000 MCGS INJECTABLE B-12 1X DAILY

3) 50 MGS B COMPLEX 4X DAILY

4) 1000 MGS (PANTOTHENIC ACID) 4X DAILY

5) 400 IU’S VITAMIN E 2X DAILY

6) 10,000 IU’S VITAMIN A 1X DAILY

7) 3 MGS MELATONIN 1X DAILY

8) MULTIVITAMIN 2X DAILY

9) 1000 MGS CLA 2X DAILY

10) 14 GRAMS FlAX SEED OIL 2X DAILY

11) 20 GRAMS WHEY PROTEIN 6X DAILY

12) 5000 MGS GLUTAMINE 6X DAILY

13) 1000 MGS CHROMIUM 2X DAILY
PICOLINATE

14) 400 MGS SELENIUM 2X DAILY

15) 2 TABS Liv - 52 2X DAILY

16) 1.5 GAL H2O DAILY

17) 1000 MGS TAURINE 2X DAILY

18) 2000 MGS ARGININE 3X DAILY

18) 5 GRAMS EFFERVESCENT 30 MIN PRIOR TO WORKOUT
CREATINE
19) 40 GRAMS PM PROTEIN BEFORE BED
10 GRAMS GLUTAMINE BEFORE BED
2 GRAMS ARGININE BEFORE BED
But, this is what all this stuff did for me in this time frame. Check out this link.

http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=61054

Is it the supps,diet,dedication, or training. I don't know. I do know that something is working, so I hate to stop taking any of it. If you know what I mean.

I think in terms of building mass and strength. IT IS WORTHLESS. However I take it daily. Glutamine Peptides 40g. My immune system has been shot for a long time and i personally feel this is one of the main reasons i don't get sick more often. Even though I do get sick a lot.

from my expiriance I've only used it during my cutting phase. Don't see any reason why to take it while bulking....

liftsiron said:
I take glutimine when I diet because it kills the desire for carbs and helps the immune system. I fully agree nothing magical about it.

liftsiron, man I didn't know it would help with killing carb cravings. S**t that is the tuffest thing for me to do while dieting giving up those tasty carbs. How much do you take ed?

By the way nice post above!:yesway:

WannaImpress said:
liftsiron, man I didn't know it would help with killing carb cravings. S**t that is the tuffest thing for me to do while dieting giving up those tasty carbs. How much do you take ed?

By the way nice post above!:yesway:

I take five grams 3 to 4 times a day, it is especially helpful while I'm at work during the day. I found a fair amount of research in a googal search on l-glutamine being used for carb cravings and with alcoholics to curb alcohol carvings.

5-10 grams a day and you wont feel a damn thing but see I have to work AND study so im on the move quite a bit... point is if youve got a busy life style and you cant move your legs the mornin after leg day it will do wonders for you... then again you need 20-35 grams for it to work but trust a brotha on this.. it will work WONDERS when you feel like you tore your sciaptic nerve!

tyevho said:
Who knows, I take so much shit it would be hard to singal out one particular thing.
1) 1000 MGS ESTER VITAMIN C 4X DAILY

2) 1000 MCGS INJECTABLE B-12 1X DAILY

3) 50 MGS B COMPLEX 4X DAILY

4) 1000 MGS (PANTOTHENIC ACID) 4X DAILY

5) 400 IU’S VITAMIN E 2X DAILY

6) 10,000 IU’S VITAMIN A 1X DAILY

7) 3 MGS MELATONIN 1X DAILY

8) MULTIVITAMIN 2X DAILY

9) 1000 MGS CLA 2X DAILY

10) 14 GRAMS FlAX SEED OIL 2X DAILY

11) 20 GRAMS WHEY PROTEIN 6X DAILY

12) 5000 MGS GLUTAMINE 6X DAILY

13) 1000 MGS CHROMIUM 2X DAILY
PICOLINATE

14) 400 MGS SELENIUM 2X DAILY

15) 2 TABS Liv - 52 2X DAILY

16) 1.5 GAL H2O DAILY

17) 1000 MGS TAURINE 2X DAILY

18) 2000 MGS ARGININE 3X DAILY

18) 5 GRAMS EFFERVESCENT 30 MIN PRIOR TO WORKOUT
CREATINE
19) 40 GRAMS PM PROTEIN BEFORE BED
10 GRAMS GLUTAMINE BEFORE BED
2 GRAMS ARGININE BEFORE BED
But, this is what all this stuff did for me in this time frame. Check out this link.

http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=61054

DAMN NATION!!!!! I bet your medicine cabinate is the size of my fridge!!

Back