Workout Gloves that Stabilizing the Wrist - know of any good brands?

As a newbie to the free weights area of the gym, I have noticed some difficulty in controlling my movements during curls, etc. Since my wrist muscles and lower forearm muscles are (admittedly) weak, I am experiencing some slight pain. The pain is temporary and goes away when I come home and apply an ice pack, but it limits the amount of time that I can use the free weights.

Does anyone know of a good set of wrist-stabilizing workout gloves?

don't use anything to stabilize your wrists, otherwise your forearms, biceps and triceps will continue to get stronger but your wrists will stay at the same strength level as now which will be even worse for you in the future. never use straps, never use wraps. i do however use knee wraps on squat day because i have bad knees.

As a newbie to the free weights area of the gym, I have noticed some difficulty in controlling my movements during curls, etc. Since my wrist muscles and lower forearm muscles are (admittedly) weak, I am experiencing some slight pain. The pain is temporary and goes away when I come home and apply an ice pack, but it limits the amount of time that I can use the free weights.

Does anyone know of a good set of wrist-stabilizing workout gloves?
If it's general joint pain you should buy some cod liver oil if you haven't already. Keep the hinges oiled so to speak...

i take osteobiflex triple strength since i have bad knees and it seems to help, also an omega 3,6,9 fatty acid mix. the pain in the wrist is most likely weak ligaments. if the pain goes away after lifting and doesn't bother you during day to day normal activities, it's fine. they'll get stronger and more flexible as your progress and will go away. when i first started doing front squats my wrists freakin killed me (only while lifting like you though). i just fought through it and now i hardly have any wrist pain even when going heavy nowadays. try some stretches as well man. if you're sitting around watching tv stretch those wrists back and forth for 10 minutes a day. hope this helps.

don't use anything to stabilize your wrists, otherwise your forearms, biceps and triceps will continue to get stronger but your wrists will stay at the same strength level as now which will be even worse for you in the future. never use straps, never use wraps. i do however use knee wraps on squat day because i have bad knees.

I use knee wraps too, works way better with them!

Using wraps and/or straps every once in a while isn't bad. But seeing as you're a "newbie" to lifting, I'd advise you lower the weight and increase the reps as needed...slowly working your way up. Target your forearms as well on your Biceps days. I only use wraps if it's an injury related soreness/pain or I'm lifting heavy weight, and I sometimes use straps for my last few sets of shrugs to really target the traps when going heavy. The thing to avoid is having to rely on them, so watch not to overuse them.

Last edited:
i have to agree...i fucking hate straps

i'll say this....overhead press got my wrist sore because i was having trouble holding the weight with out my wrist wanting to bend back....the only time the soreness would really bother me was when i was doing barbell curls (w/ and w/o EZ bar) and when i was doing overhead press....the pain really wouldn't bother when i'd bench or deadlit or virturally anything else i can think of off the top of my head

it went away in about a weeks time

if you completely quit using straps, one day you will never need them. and that is when you know your grip strength is superhuman. i'm so glad i quit using straps, i will never look back. i was doing deads two days ago, maxing out on deficits. my posterior chain was giving out long before my grip. i could've loaded on 50 more pounds and done reps if my back would've let me, my grip was no where near toasted. i'm telling you guys, farmers walks. once a week. if i still did shrugs i could easily hold a 150lb dumbbell in each hand all day, my traps would give out before my grip would. screw straps and wraps.

i if you're sitting around watching tv stretch those wrists back and forth for 10 minutes a day. hope this helps.

This is a great observation. I do a bit of stretching my chest and arm muscles before I workout, but I never even considered stretching my wrists.

Earlier, when you suggested me not to stabilize my wrists during workouts, I was like "damn." The pain actually gets bad quickly... in like the 2nd or 3rd set, so I can't do a 4th or 5th. It's not simply, 'it's uncomfortable to do a 4th or 5th' but it's to the point where if I even try once more, my muscle will pull / tear.

So... I'm wondering:

Maybe I can just get some very light weights (10 lb) to do some wrist exercises.

Also here is a great link for wrist exercises without weights... Hand and Wrist Exercises

This is a great observation. I do a bit of stretching my chest and arm muscles before I workout, but I never even considered stretching my wrists.

Earlier, when you suggested me not to stabilize my wrists during workouts, I was like "damn." The pain actually gets bad quickly... in like the 2nd or 3rd set, so I can't do a 4th or 5th. It's not simply, 'it's uncomfortable to do a 4th or 5th' but it's to the point where if I even try once more, my muscle will pull / tear.

So... I'm wondering:

Maybe I can just get some very light weights (10 lb) to do some wrist exercises.

Also here is a great link for wrist exercises without weights... Hand and Wrist Exercises

that doesn't sound good at all. are you warming up properly? warming up not only primes the muscles for the working sets but will help with tendons and ligaments as well. also i wouldn't stretch before lifting, stretch after. before you lift you want to warm up. let's say your flat bench is 120lbs for 3 sets of 5. start out with just the bar for 10 reps. take 30-45 seconds and then add 10s to each side. do 8 reps. repeat with another 10 on each side and do 6 reps. now throw on your working weight and do your sets. now you're saying your wrists are hurting when curling? stop curling bro. no offense intended but you are small and weak, less is more at this point and you need to be focusing on your compound lifts. doing pullups and some type of horizontal row will hit your biceps, focus your energy on these and not curls because these compound lifts are also hitting different muscles in your back and working on grip as well has biceps. 3 months from now you will be twice as strong in these lifts and probably about 15 pounds heavier, go curl then and see how much mroe you can do and how your wrist pain has virtually disappeared.

stop curling bro. no offense intended but you are small and weak, less is more at this point and you need to be focusing on your compound lifts. doing pullups and some type of horizontal row will hit your biceps, focus your energy on these and not curls because these compound lifts are also hitting different muscles in your back and working on grip as well has biceps. 3 months from now you will be twice as strong in these lifts and probably about 15 pounds heavier, go curl then and see how much mroe you can do and how your wrist pain has virtually disappeared.

I love how curls make my arms pump up and make my shirt tighten around my biceps!!! But, I don't want to tear anything, so I'll be responsible.

Maybe I'll reduce the weights and go lighter, like you suggested. In the gym, I'm always going for the heaviest weights possible b/c I'm trying to be 'mister not so weak.' I go for 17.5 instead of 15, etc.

I've decided that when I return home, then I'll get a bench, an Olympic bar (44 lb) and a couple of 5 lb weights. I'll grab a couple of dumb bells, too 15, 17.5, 20.

All of this will cost me only about $200 . My gym membership is about $100/mo. So, I think this will be good for me. No confidence issues. No wasted dues. No time issues (squeezing my workout into a 30 min - 1 hr block).

When I grow into the need for heavier weights, then I can join again.

sounds good to me. work on hangcleans with the bar and get your form down. now when you can properly catch the bar, start adding weight and front squating. don't neglect your legs, front squats for quads, sldl for hams.

oh and once you got hangcleans down, do hangcleans. and a lot of them. you wanna talk about back and trap development and that athletic look huh? hangcleans

Straps and wrist wraps, etc have they're place. I never use straps on deadlifts and can pull a good amount of weight with just using chalk. However, sometimes I will use them when doing DB rows or shrugs because my grip may give out before the muscle I'm trying to target. I wear wrist wraps now because I have weak wrists and had a wrist injury about a year ago. Some people just have smaller, less stable wrists and when your pushing as much weight as some of us do it can really strain them a lot.

GODDAMN

WHERE DO YOU WORKOUT?.....i switched to a new gym two weeks ago because of where i go to school at....i pay 40 bucks and thought i was getting hosed....GOOD GOD

I live in NYC. All the gyms here, except Planet Fitness where all the fat people and penniless people go, cost between $89-300/mo. I'd say the average gym membership up here is like $140-$170ish / month. Remember, here in NYC, the average rent for a 1 bedroom apartment is around $3,500, so this isn't out of the norm.

I am a member of New York Sports Club.

Last edited:
... except Planet Fitness where all the fat people and penniless people go, cost between $89-300/mo...

I couldn't rest knowing that I just said this... There's nothing wrong w/ an overweight crowd of people, except that it's so hard to get excited / serious about working out when everyone (or 80 percent of guys and gals there) looks like skin-wrapped buckets of lard. And the fact that they have Pizza night .............. makes me like "WTF".

I also wrote "penniless" but I'm just describing the members as folks from the 'hood' who cannot afford a regular gym. They come with a bunch of additional mental / psychological baggage.

I was a member there until last month, but in 8 months of membership, I only went 4 times. I just couldn't handle that place!

Straps and wrist wraps, etc have they're place. I never use straps on deadlifts and can pull a good amount of weight with just using chalk. However, sometimes I will use them when doing DB rows or shrugs because my grip may give out before the muscle I'm trying to target. I wear wrist wraps now because I have weak wrists and had a wrist injury about a year ago. Some people just have smaller, less stable wrists and when your pushing as much weight as some of us do it can really strain them a lot.

i agree about the wrist wraps if you are pushing some heavy ass weight, but let's face it, this guy isn't. and if he uses wrist straps now his wrists will never catch up to what his major muscles will eventually be able to do and that's when injury is going to occur. as far as wrist straps go, i completely disagree with you. when i quit using straps all together, my grip constantly gave out before my working muscles would. now i'm to the point my muscles are giving out before my grip does, by a long shot. quit using straps an eventually your traps will give out 20 minutes before your grip would when doing heavy ass shrugs. also i do agree on using what you need to use if you've had prior injuries, but like i said if he uses that shit now, eventually he is going to get an injury because his wrist and grip strength will be about the same it is now but he will be pushing and pulling 2, 3, or even 4 times the weight he is now in no time.

Back