Wrist/Forearm Pain

PeterPaul

Anyone know the cause of this or if it's anything serious? It hurts the most when doing biceps workout. It started about a month ago as a slight twinge. It's to the point where I cant even go really heavy anymore on any bar related curls, standing or preacher. I also feel pain when doing bench presses using a bar. I tried to take pictures, but it was impossible for me to take pics of the outside of my arms. It's the outside of my wrists, where the pinky is, on both arms. Imagine drawing a line from the middle of your arm, starting at the wrist, and the pain radiates for about 5 inches past that.

If it's on both arms in the same spot, and it hurts during bi's; I'd say one of your lifts is messing w/ it. Does it hurt the entire workout, or more predominately during one exercise?

let me start out by saying this only happens with the bar not with DBs. it hurts the most during preacher curls. on either curl (standing or preacher) or bench, the pain is present when im bringing the weight up, i guess because my wrists bend back. i cant explain it, i feel like the thumb side of my hands are being rotated outward a little, and in turn i feel it on the otherside of the wrists. when i use lighter weight, it doesnt hurt. im assuming because my wrists dont back as much?

PeterPaul said:
let me start out by saying this only happens with the bar not with DBs. it hurts the most during preacher curls. on either curl (standing or preacher) or bench, the pain is present when im bringing the weight up, i guess because my wrists bend back. i cant explain it, i feel like the thumb side of my hands are being rotated outward a little, and in turn i feel it on the otherside of the wrists. when i use lighter weight, it doesnt hurt. im assuming because my wrists dont back as much?

Preacher curls and weighted dips make my tendinitis flare up a lot in both forearms, so much that it hurts to hold heavier weight on bench at times. I found that staying away from preacher curls helped it die down a little but I've never really been able to get rid of it, only minimize how often it occurs.

i'm too lazy to go to a doctor, i know i'll get the standard advice. about 6 months ago, i started losing feeling in my left pinky and left ring finger anytime i put weight on my left elbow or after heavy lifting. went to the doc told me i had an ulnar nerve entrapment, said dont lift for a few months and it will get better. that's always their advice.

PeterPaul said:
i'm too lazy to go to a doctor, i know i'll get the standard advice. about 6 months ago, i started losing feeling in my left pinky and left ring finger anytime i put weight on my left elbow or after heavy lifting. went to the doc told me i had an ulnar nerve entrapment, said dont lift for a few months and it will get better. that's always their advice.

lol I love when they give that kind of advice. Of course its gonna get better if you stop whats directly causing it.

Preacher curls always make it flare up for me, sometimes I can get lucky and go lighter and I'll be fine. I imagine you can pop some Motrin IB and lessen it but for the amount of time its a pain in the ass in the gym it isn't so bad. Try ditching them for a few weeks, heavy dips for a week or so if you do them, and see if it gets better. I also found that if I alternate week to week with those 2 exercises will reduce it as well. Not much more to say other than it sucks and is probably as annoying as a heat rash in a dance contest.

Also when jerking off try dropping a finger and that should take a bit of tension of the tendons, or use wrist wraps and chalk to take the slack out of the ROM....

Button Buck said:
welcome to the "i have tendinitis and it fucking kills all the time" club :)

lol, this about hits it on the head. I have had that pain from barbell curls on and off since i was 15.

PeterPaul said:

Do you use a straight bar or the EZ bar?? If you aren't using the EZ bar, switch to that...it rotates the position of the wrist and a lot of people claim it helps...

I had the same problem 3 years ago my friend, its started as a minor pain in my left forearm, ofcourse i ignored it and thought its gonna go with time, but it didnt, it kept going worse and worse. your words match exactly my case, straight bar used to flame it, preacher curl used to flame it even more. dumbbells were my only bi's workout for around 6 months, i couldnt do heavy weights so i focused on low slow moving weights, use the EZ bar wide grip instead of the straight bar, go in a very slow focused movement as that will cease the pain instead of fast shocking moves that will put more pressure on ur forearm. if it gets real worse, it will affect ur tri's and pull down exercises too. also dont use your thumb to wrap the bar for a better hold, instead place it beside the rest of ur fingers so that the pressure is distributed on all parts of the forearm.

Forgot to mention that the reason of having this injury is that i used to ignore training my forearms back when i was 16 ( which was the age i had this problem too ).. like most gym newbies i used to think training my bis only will make them grow faster...

does it also hurt when training ur forearms ? if not, then the injury is probably in its early phase, good for you then, focus more on your forearms and train your bis wisely, its not worth getting worse. Good luck.

l started to get tendinitis because l never stretched or warmed up enough, l took a whole week off lifting then when i got back into it l made sure l done my stretchs and plenty of warm up before going heavy and lve neva gotten it agian

i dont do forearm work. i rely on exercies that need a grip.. deads, pull ups, pull downs etc .. i also dont stretch or warm up. i usually jump right into my routine. although i do ramp weight upwards.. ill take all this advice into account thanks.

Don't do movements that bother it, easy enough. I don't do much barbell curl work anymore myself.

Back