18 inch arms but still look anorexic

I have 18 inch arms, I know I'm not ripped but I'm trying to bulk. However, my arms look super skinny and thin. From the front they disappear and my triceps look retarded too.... Even my triceps disappear from the back too... It appears I have genetically crappy arms.

Can someone critique and indicate why my arms look like girl's arms even though they are 18 inches?

View attachment 546718
View attachment 546732

Last edited:
i had the same deal. my arms were relatively big, but compared to the size of my torso they looked really skinny. what helped me add a bit of mass on them was concentrating on heavy compound lifts like deadlifts, heavy incline dumbell presses for chest, really heavy farmers walk with straps to go heavier than my grip allowed me to go, power cleans and presses and heavy ass squats and leg presses. all that with a traditional arm day thrown in helped my arms grow. but also as war machine said , you do have some body fat on your biceps. if you shred up you will look way bigger.

<---hmmm i dont.. know much about arms.. as u can tell in my avatar.. 22 inch.. i curl 90lb dumbbells for reps of 8 each.. but anyhow everybody has body parts that easly grow than others.. i must say.. ur arms look terrible and need work on them. On gear i went 4 st8 weeks working out my arms everyday along with other body parts with just sunday rest.. took a 4 week rest and did arms 2x a week n normal work outs than went another4 weeks flat everyday.. the thing is now i do arms 3x a week.. always go heavy with some things light with other so i can get full reps.. like ill curl the 40 lb dummbells for reps of 50 on each arm.. than right after jump to the 90@ for 8 reps.. then jump to the50 lb for 20 reps.. and than jump to.the 80s for 6.. than 60s for 15.. and the 75 for 6.. thats wont tecnique i utilize.. another is i work he whole rack from 90lb dumbbells to the 15lbs non stop no rest.. reach weight group i do.till failure.. and obviously i accompany each workout with other bicep training methods and numerous tricep concepts and techniques i personally designed for myself

Diet down to about 10-12%bf and you will see a BIG DIFFERENCE you arms will look alot bigger because the definition will make them stand out more, you have a HIGH bf% that is why your arms dont look all that great,but they will once you diet down.

Diet down to about 10-12%bf and you will see a BIG DIFFERENCE you arms will look alot bigger because the definition will make them stand out more, you have a HIGH bf% that is why your arms dont look all that great,but they will once you diet down.

this^ once your lean, bulk to where you're happy. Just a heads up though you will never be happy, and always striving for a bit bigger.

I'm tall at 6'4, I have been bulking all year and wanted to bulk for another year. I'm not so fussed about looking muscular, just wanted to look BIG. But even at high BF, I still look skinny like a girl. Once I reached 300lbs, I wanted to get super shredded. I didn't think it was appropriate to cut now while my overall size isn't there yet. To go from 260->240, and back up would make me end up the same since I need to bulk to gain the size anyway.

Is it just me or does this pic make your head look super huge?
I do have a overly large head :( but it looks much bigger because of the angle of the phone. My body probably would look bigger if I kept the angle directly straight.

Nonetheless.... do I look like shit? SKINNY-FAT??? I am following one of 3J's diets - Lots of meat, eggs, carbs, fat ... lots of everything.

Is this 20% BF? I'm a complete hard gainer and ectomorph. Muscle comes very hard to me.... took a lot of training, drugs and food to get to where I am and still look like shit!!

Last edited:
Let's all be frank and direct.... Look at my body.... am I really that fat as people point out? I would hate to be classified as SKINNY-FAT. Half the people in the gym call me skinny and the other half call me fat....do I really look so crap???????

View attachment 546731
you dont look fat really, but you look bloated to me. Really smooth. which takes away from definition

Far from fat, you're just smoothed over. It wouldn't take long at all to lean out though, and I guarantee you'll look much better.

your not fat mate..for someone who is 260lbs you are in pretty decent shape. the height is the problem..i am the same height..but my arms are at 19.5" cold(i am 240lbs)..but thankfully i've never had to concentrate too much on them for size..someone already mentioned going heavy on all compound pushing/pulling movements..i think anyone would get the greatest benefit from overall arm development doing this. hit your arms direct once a week...keep it basic and use exercises that allow you to go up in weight easily. for eg: curls,preacher curls, hammer curls etc...leave out movements like cables and concentration curls for now. same for triceps.. cgbp, french press, dips etc...leave out cable and other isolation movements for the moment.

actually in your pic..your arms dont look that small. they could use some more size and refinement though. dont neglect tri's..they make up 65% of your arm mass. good luck

Back