18 yr old - Low Testosterone

legitsrs

As the title says, I just turned 18 years old and have low testosterone. I don't know what to do. My female endocrinologist says I'm fine, and in the normal range.

My question is this; How do I crash my levels LOW enough to WAKE my doctors up and actually do something?

Here is my blood work; (I'm on 25 mcg synthroid now, but I'm unsure that my thyroid is even an issue, as my TSH tested at 2.8 the day BEFORE I took synthroid)

Any advice is appreciated, I don't want to keep living my life in a fog.

Here is an image of the blood work;
View attachment 555847

Last edited:
Have you taken anything like steroids or prohormones before?

You are in hypogonadal range with your TT and Free T. I would correct your thyroid issues before doing anythng about your Low T. They are connected so addressing your thyroid may improve your TT. You don't want to go on TRT if you can avoid it.

If getting your hypothyroidism corrected doesn't fix your Low T then you should talk to a good endo about trying a "restart" to see if you can kick start your pituitary.

I would also recommend checking your prolactin levels and perhaps getting an MRI to make sure your pituitary is ok.

Check out the sticky I wrote in this TRT forum called Basic TRT Overview. That will give you more info on the subject.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Have you taken anything like steroids or prohormones before?

You are in hypogonadal range with your TT and Free T. I would correct your thyroid issues before doing anythng about your Low T. They are connected so addressing your thyroid may improve your TT. You don't want to go on TRT if you can avoid it.

If getting your hypothyroidism corrected doesn't fix your Low T then you should talk to a good endo about trying a "restart" to see if you can kick start your pituitary.

I would also recommend checking your prolactin levels and perhaps getting an MRI to make sure your pituitary is ok.

Check out the sticky I wrote in this TRT forum called Basic TRT Overview. That will give you more info on the subject.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Thank you for this response, I will read that sticky right now.

I have never touched any pro-hormone or any form of steroids in my life as well, and will definitely mention prolactin and an MRI of my pituitary to my NEW endocrinologist that I will be seeing next Tuesday. Hopefully he is open to what I feel, unlike my last endo.

Will definitely keep you posted, I really need to get my life back on track, so sick of feeling like death with feelings of inferiority on a daily basis.

A big disadvantage of TRT is that once you start you have to do it for the rest of your life. If you start and then quit, you are likely to be worse off than when you started. Your body will not just bounce back to what it was before.

That said, I have been on TRT for 6 months and I love it. But I am 71 so the rest of my life doen't look like such a long time.

A big disadvantage of TRT is that once you start you have to do it for the rest of your life. If you start and then quit, you are likely to be worse off than when you started. Your body will not just bounce back to what it was before.

That said, I have been on TRT for 6 months and I love it. But I am 71 so the rest of my life doen't look like such a long time.
No big deal to me, the benefits far outweigh an injection once or twice a week. No different than taking a vitamin, or even eating in my opinion.

I constantly get hot-red face and just realized my testosterone could be causing it? It seems like every problem I have with my life, testosterone turns out to be the culprit.

That being said, I really cannot wait until something is done.

No big deal to me, the benefits far outweigh an injection once or twice a week. No different than taking a vitamin, or even eating in my opinion.

I constantly get hot-red face and just realized my testosterone could be causing it? It seems like every problem I have with my life, testosterone turns out to be the culprit.

That being said, I really cannot wait until something is done.

I too found out I had low T at a young age (19 but didn't start trt till 21). I felt the same way in that my life improved in so many ways. You're right, suffering from the effects of low testosterone is much worse than pinning twice a week and feeling great/healthy.

I too found out I had low T at a young age (19 but didn't start trt till 21). I felt the same way in that my life improved in so many ways. You're right, suffering from the effects of low testosterone is much worse than pinning twice a week and feeling great/healthy.
Oh wow, I have a question for you.

What were your levels?

Would you go back to age 19 and start TRT earlier?

Why or why not?

Oh wow, I have a question for you.

What were your levels?

Would you go back to age 19 and start TRT earlier?

Why or why not?

My story is a little more complicated than a simple answer would explain, but in short:

When I first got tested at 19 my TT came in at 250. My primary doc assured me that my levels were fine as I was in the "reference range" (fucking joke). Decided to get a second opinion from an endo who retested; levels were around 400 and trusted the doc when he said I have nothing to worry about.

Fast forward a year later: noticed I hadn't had any sort of erection or even life in that region for well over a month. Contacted and endo, test came back at 300. Started on injections @100mg every two weeks. Started feeling even worse symptom wise than prior to treatment shortly after beginning this regimen. Tried to contact doc, found out she was on medical leave, but her associate increased me to 200mg/week. Felt great aside from the hot flashes, but I had this constant dull pain in my testicles as they continued to atrophy. Knew I needed HCG; couldn't get it prescribed.

Sought out another endo; they "never had heard of" HCG being implemented in a trt protocol, nor of anybody having testicular pain associated with the inevitable testicular atrophy. I then met with a urologist, extremely desperate due to this literally debilitating testicular pain. He advised me to try clomid (already knew I was secondary hypo). Took clomid @ 50mg/day for nearly 3 months. Felt like complete shit the whole time (testicular pain went away as I resumed producing my own test). Had absolutely no energy, no libido; literally felt the same as before I first began any sort of trt.

I then got tested after having been on clomid for 3 months, was astonished to find out my test level was close to 800. Came off clomid to see if my natty levels improved (I know now that the 3 months was far longer than needed for a HPTA restart attempt). Natty TT level was then in the low 300s. Resumed testosterone injections, but my doc would only prescribe 100mg every TWO weeks even though my levels were previously tested at 100mg every week and was 174. Not to mention the doc refused to prescribe any HCG unless it was monotherapy. Thought I'd by myself some time from such a terrible protocol by getting the test script and then "changing my mind" and "reverting to" the HCG monotherapy. Began 125mg test/week w/ 500 iu HCG/week (both split in two doses).

Back to doctor shopping. After two months of self administering this trt protocol I got in to see another endo (which I'm currently seeing). Was the only doc I've seen since I began this journey that had a semi open mind and was willing to listen/work with me. Being well versed in proper trt protocols, I presented my case in short (yes, shorter than what I've typed here lol) and told him I'd like to start a protocol of ~125mg test/week with 250 iu HCG twice/week. He actually listened to what I said and my reasoning, and admitted to not having read up on the most recent protocols/research. Sent him a study about HCG administered alongside test to preserve fertility, which he said he'd read.

Currently waiting to start any sort of trt regimen with this doc. Not very confident that the initial protocol he proposes will be suitable, but I'm willing to bear with him in the meantime until my bloodwork persuades him to alter my protocol to something I can maintain long term.

So to answer your question: knowing what I know now, yes, I do wish I could go back to age 19 and start TRT. It sure has been a (unpleasant) roller coaster, but I did learn a lot over the course of the last year and a half. The main thing I hope you get from my story is that you should exclude all other options before starting trt, because it's difficult going back and trying other stuff after you start (especially psychologically since you'll feel much, much better on trt).

Good luck bro. You really do have to learn your shit, because if you blindly follow the advice of an ignorant/uneducated endo (the first three I saw) you could easily be in a worse position than when you started.

Im suprised your dr. Has not done an mri of your pit. Gland. It was one of the first things my endo did a few years back when I had low T Levels and Im 41 Yrs old. It would be worth looking into. Crashing your T level further is NOT the way to go. Unfortunately even though your second test levels are very low they are in range and alot of dr. Wont treat it at any age. And with you being 18 the last thing they are going to do is put you on test therapy for life without i assume further test to see what is causing your low levels. I feel for you..often dr dont take into consideration how people feel and their quality of life but rather wont treat it as long as they are in range even if just barely. Hang in there and maybe seek a second opinion. Let us know how it goes and good luck to you...

My story is a little more complicated than a simple answer would explain, but in short:

When I first got tested at 19 my TT came in at 250. My primary doc assured me that my levels were fine as I was in the "reference range" (fucking joke). Decided to get a second opinion from an endo who retested; levels were around 400 and trusted the doc when he said I have nothing to worry about.

Fast forward a year later: noticed I hadn't had any sort of erection or even life in that region for well over a month. Contacted and endo, test came back at 300. Started on injections @100mg every two weeks. Started feeling even worse symptom wise than prior to treatment shortly after beginning this regimen. Tried to contact doc, found out she was on medical leave, but her associate increased me to 200mg/week. Felt great aside from the hot flashes, but I had this constant dull pain in my testicles as they continued to atrophy. Knew I needed HCG; couldn't get it prescribed.

Sought out another endo; they "never had heard of" HCG being implemented in a trt protocol, nor of anybody having testicular pain associated with the inevitable testicular atrophy. I then met with a urologist, extremely desperate due to this literally debilitating testicular pain. He advised me to try clomid (already knew I was secondary hypo). Took clomid @ 50mg/day for nearly 3 months. Felt like complete shit the whole time (testicular pain went away as I resumed producing my own test). Had absolutely no energy, no libido; literally felt the same as before I first began any sort of trt.

I then got tested after having been on clomid for 3 months, was astonished to find out my test level was close to 800. Came off clomid to see if my natty levels improved (I know now that the 3 months was far longer than needed for a HPTA restart attempt). Natty TT level was then in the low 300s. Resumed testosterone injections, but my doc would only prescribe 100mg every TWO weeks even though my levels were previously tested at 100mg every week and was 174. Not to mention the doc refused to prescribe any HCG unless it was monotherapy. Thought I'd by myself some time from such a terrible protocol by getting the test script and then "changing my mind" and "reverting to" the HCG monotherapy. Began 125mg test/week w/ 500 iu HCG/week (both split in two doses).

Back to doctor shopping. After two months of self administering this trt protocol I got in to see another endo (which I'm currently seeing). Was the only doc I've seen since I began this journey that had a semi open mind and was willing to listen/work with me. Being well versed in proper trt protocols, I presented my case in short (yes, shorter than what I've typed here lol) and told him I'd like to start a protocol of ~125mg test/week with 250 iu HCG twice/week. He actually listened to what I said and my reasoning, and admitted to not having read up on the most recent protocols/research. Sent him a study about HCG administered alongside test to preserve fertility, which he said he'd read.

Currently waiting to start any sort of trt regimen with this doc. Not very confident that the initial protocol he proposes will be suitable, but I'm willing to bear with him in the meantime until my bloodwork persuades him to alter my protocol to something I can maintain long term.

So to answer your question: knowing what I know now, yes, I do wish I could go back to age 19 and start TRT. It sure has been a (unpleasant) roller coaster, but I did learn a lot over the course of the last year and a half. The main thing I hope you get from my story is that you should exclude all other options before starting trt, because it's difficult going back and trying other stuff after you start (especially psychologically since you'll feel much, much better on trt).

Good luck bro. You really do have to learn your shit, because if you blindly follow the advice of an ignorant/uneducated endo (the first three I saw) you could easily be in a worse position than when you started.
Really appreciate this, solid advice that I was looking for!

Im suprised your dr. Has not done an mri of your pit. Gland. It was one of the first things my endo did a few years back when I had low T Levels and Im 41 Yrs old. It would be worth looking into. Crashing your T level further is NOT the way to go. Unfortunately even though your second test levels are very low they are in range and alot of dr. Wont treat it at any age. And with you being 18 the last thing they are going to do is put you on test therapy for life without i assume further test to see what is causing your low levels. I feel for you..often dr dont take into consideration how people feel and their quality of life but rather wont treat it as long as they are in range even if just barely. Hang in there and maybe seek a second opinion. Let us know how it goes and good luck to you...
Will do, an MRI can without a doubt tell if there is a problem?

Also, just a random question; what are the side effects of TRT for an 18 year old? Just premature growth plate closings?

Will do, an MRI can without a doubt tell if there is a problem?
?

An MRI of your brain would be to see if there is any physical evidence of pituitary damage/tumor. Mine checked out "clean", but I did have a couple fairly severe head/neck traumas when I was younger which I can't rule out as a potential cause.

An MRI of your brain would be to see if there is any physical evidence of pituitary damage/tumor. Mine checked out "clean", but I did have a couple fairly severe head/neck traumas when I was younger which I can't rule out as a potential cause.
I'll bet my comes out clean, and they end up doing nothing - until I find an endo who knows/cares about how much it affects me.

It's just odd, if my pituitary comes out fine it must be my thyroid causing the problem? What if it isn't my thyroid?

The website? They really would help?

Absolutely. Can't even begin to tell you how many guys here are being treated by them. Nary a bad word about them. I don't use them personally, but I would if I didn't have a good thing going with my doctors that I have been seeing for years.

I am 19 and suffered from low test from age of 17 onwards, my levels were in the 300~ range. TRT deffintly made me feel a lot better, it's really not a burden at all IMHO... pinning myself E5D is a breeze, it could be worse. I have nothing to complain about being able to live a quality life now.

I am 19 and suffered from low test from age of 17 onwards, my levels were in the 300~ range. TRT deffintly made me feel a lot better, it's really not a burden at all IMHO... pinning myself E5D is a breeze, it could be worse. I have nothing to complain about being able to live a quality life now.
Agreed, and very good to hear. I wouldn't mind at all, no different than taking thyroid medication (even easier IMO as you can actually eat afterwards).

Not sure if they treat 18 year olds but worth a shot!
This is what I'm afraid of, I have an odd feeling I'll end up pinning myself within the next year. That is, if there is nothing wrong with my pituitary gland, and if getting my thyroid regulated does not fix the problem.

It's just odd, you'd think that an M.D. would have a curious mind and would take an interest in their patient (I find it interesting as hell, hearing symptoms/seeing blood work and trying to pinpoint the issue). I just don't understand how they can't give a flying fuck about you or your symptoms as it's been for me thus far.

Back