1980 Mr. Olympia

I keep hearing out Mike should have won this event.. But after looking at the pics Arnold looks much bigger and seperated.

NS I have no idea how they are marking the amature shows ,now adays these guys would not have made the grade.I like like the old school bb days Arnold ,Serge ,Mentzer....Zane etc.
You could have looked fuller .....how did your carb loading go?
You had first in my books ...bro

I love arnold but maybe its only because he is so popular because a lot of those other guys look very close to him!!

It should have been Mentzer or Zane...

Funny though, you always read that Schwarzenegger is 6'2, but he is maybe a half an inch taller than Mentzer and Mentzer is 5'8.

Arnlod is a little guy.

Last edited:
Arnold was off. He knows it too, he said he came in at around 70%.

Mike Mentzer should have won.

Ol' Olympia

Be Honest,
I love Ahnold!! but Mentzer could have been given what he deserved!! By the way, Dennis looks better than both of them and unfortunately is an unsung bodybuilding legend!!! He is a tall individual with remarkable symetry but is never mentionned in the realm of old school bodybuilding... Major oversight, I'd like it if a reporter followed up with him if he's still around. I'm sure he could add spice to the lifestyle that we learned from and are eternally gratefull for!! These guys forged the way and were GODS in their day.... They should always be remembered and respected!!!!!!!

Zane's physique looks like a classic Greek sculpture. It's just awesome, and that it was all bodybuilders should aim to look like. Symmetry will be back in style one day.

bob marley said:
Zane's physique looks like a classic Greek sculpture. It's just awesome, and that it was all bodybuilders should aim to look like. Symmetry will be back in style one day.

Your full of shit. Zane was in no better conditioning than mentzer. You cant tell everything by looking at still black and while photos in a "simi contracted" stance. Zane was just not big enough. Period. Look at some pics of mentzer posing in the show. He was the man! The real problem with the 1980 contest however, is that mentzer was "punished" for being to only real good bodybuilder with a very high intelectual capacity. Thats what it boils down to. Wieder just felt threatened by a man who actually used his mind to improve his body.

Heavy Duty: HIT is THE ONLY WAY TO GET A HIGH INTENSITY MUSCULAR CONTRACTION, WHICH IS WHAT STIMULATES MUSCULAR GROWTH. PERIOD!

I think Miles is onto something. Frank Zane really does look small. Miles, how was Mentzer's used of his mind to improve his body different than Arnold's? I would think that, in order to build their bodies to Olympia levels, all of the competitors were using their minds.

Back