20 reps??

adidamps2

just sitting here thinking...can this same pricible be applied to other exercises such as flat bench or DL..i'm sure it can i dont see why not but just for conversation or others thought. i'd like to see some thoughts on this?

From my experience incorporating some really high reps every once in a while helps to shock any body part. I think it works best with legs though. I did a 20 rep squat with 295 yesterday, whew did that one hurt.

Different bodyparts have different fiber makeups, and different people have different fiber percentage distributions.

20 rep squats are based on rest pause theory, which people are using on other bodyparts and they claim success. It is not 20 consecutive reps.

Mudge said:
Different bodyparts have different fiber makeups, and different people have different fiber percentage distributions.

^^^^this part i get

20 rep squats are based on rest pause theory, which people are using on other bodyparts and they claim success. It is not 20 consecutive reps.

this now has me confused....i thought the idea behind the 20 rep squat was to do 1 set of 20 reps for squats after a thorough warm up. :scratchhe and by time you get to the 20th rep you should be almost unable to complete it.

adidamps2 said:
this now has me confused....i thought the idea behind the 20 rep squat was to do 1 set of 20 reps for squats after a thorough warm up. :scratchhe and by time you get to the 20th rep you should be almost unable to complete it.

You are correct not confused. One set of squats 20 reps with the heaviest weight you can do for 10 with perfect form. The 20th rep should be impossible without a spotter.

so husky what is your take on doing a "20 rep squat style" approach with say bench? or deads? would these have the same effect as 20 rep squats? i just want to see some insight on this approach. can it be just as effective for other exercises?

Ive never had a Leg W/O like I have when I do a set of 20 rep squat. Follow up the 20 repper with a set of DB pullovers talk about out of breath I felt like I was gonna puke. I have never seen growth in my thighs until I incorporatesd 20 rep squat set. Now if I can just get my fat ass back in the gym in 06 Ill be alright. Leg's can grow shock them. I even tried doing walking DB lunges after a my squats and then polish it off with the hyper-extensions that worked great for me!

errr...i dont think ppl are reading into the post. i'm unconcerned with 20 rep squats i want opions/thoughts on 20 rep bench/DL's...

yeah my guess is a 20 rep DL would probably lead to you in a wheel chair, I couldn't fathom the thought of that. And a 20 rep bench ouch shoulders.

20 rep squats are special because squats are a total body exercise. I do not think that the same value could be had from 20 rep bench. Deadlifts on the other hand are also a total body exercise so maybe they could be just as beneficial --try it.

ty you guys that is more of the idea i had in mind...20 rep deads huh..i might do that next hvy dead day...any more opinions here? anyone?

I want to add that 20 rep deads could be too much for your lower back to handle---I still believe that 20 rep squats are best.

adidamps2 said:
errr...i dont think ppl are reading into the post. i'm unconcerned with 20 rep squats i want opions/thoughts on 20 rep bench/DL's...

You get to about 10 reps, then you are forced to pause before your next couple reps, and so on. Its not a straight set of 20 reps.

Mudge said:
You get to about 10 reps, then you are forced to pause before your next couple reps, and so on. Its not a straight set of 20 reps.

I have to disagree the reason why most people do not do 20 rep squats is that 20 continuous reps for squats will definitely make you puke. 20 straight reps no rest just slow and steady cranking out 1 set of 20 reps. I have only done this with squats, I am not sure that other exercises would give the same benefit.

Here is an example of one competitors program, with rest/pause between multiple reps and a total set time of 3 minutes. Thats not a straight set.

You can do them how you want, a straight set would not be terrible in that the fiber types respond well to it, as do calves, abs, traps, neck and forearms also respond well to high reps.

But for any other body type, doing a straight set of 20 reps is Jane Fonda thinking.

Each workout you will start with full squats. Do 2-3 easy warm up sets to get the blood flowing and to warm up your joints. Then take a moderate weight and do 1 set of 20 reps. For each rep take a couple big mouthfuls of air, hold your breath, squat down and up, and repeat. As you progress through the reps you will need to take more breaths in between reps. During reps 15-20 you may need to take 5 or more big mouthfuls of air in between reps. It takes me 3 minutes to complete 1 set all out set of 20 rep squats.

Quote:
Each workout you will start with full squats. Do 2-3 easy warm up sets to get the blood flowing and to warm up your joints. Then take a moderate weight and do 1 set of 20 reps. For each rep take a couple big mouthfuls of air, hold your breath, squat down and up, and repeat. As you progress through the reps you will need to take more breaths in between reps. During reps 15-20 you may need to take 5 or more big mouthfuls of air in between reps. It takes me 3 minutes to complete 1 set all out set of 20 rep squats.

This is prettymuch how I do it. First 10 reps are prettymuch normal then stop and take big breaths, then some more around 15, and the last 5 are prettymuch murder.

Back