After any injection what do you do with YOUR syringe/needle?

Fullgoldcrown

I personally break/ crimp the needle and store it in the syringe. It then gets stored in a Ziploc bag and is put it a sharps container at my work asap. However, I've had a bbuddy who told me to just throw it in a dumpster (needle and all) when I first started. And this is clearly the worst choice. So what do you guys do?

Buy a sharps container and put it in there. They are cheap and can be found at any pharmacy, Target, Walmart, etc. Or online.

I personally break/ crimp the needle and store it in the syringe. It then gets stored in a Ziploc bag and is put it a sharps container at my work asap. However, I've had a bbuddy who told me to just throw it in a dumpster (needle and all) when I first started. And this is clearly the worst choice. So what do you guys do?

a large coke or Pepsi empty bottle with a cap works as well. cap it and then put it in the neighbors trash bin. :)

keep in mind also that if you do the gas station garbage can or other public disposal there are quite often cameras in the area and can bring unwanted heat if they get your plate number.

I use an old laundry detergent container. Once it's full I tape the lid shut with duct tape real good then throw away in dumpster.

Disposing of medical waste improperly can get you in a lot of trouble and could lead to a possible search of your house if they found a way to trace it back to you. I personally would make sure wherever you put them it is somewhere nobody is going to be able to trace back to you and of course is somewhere safe that people aren't going to come in contact with them.

resource.aspx

They're 5 bucks, and depending on your local regulations may be disposed of in the trash with other refuse. I do take the syringe/needle apart when I toss them in there to save space though.

What's wrong with an old plastic tub of used protein container? Shit, u can screw the lid on for Petes sake if u feel u really need to

I recap all the needles, put them in a soda bottle and write "AIDS JUICE" on it with a sharpie. The syringe goes straight to the garbage can. I toss the bottle in the trash when it starts getting full. No one will ever open it, and it goes straight to the landfill.

I just keep the used syringe and needle uncapped and bury them in the local children's playground sandbox.....

Oh wait there are people on here stupid enough to think I'm serious. I either use a sharps container or a plastic container that I then tape heavily and write in magic marker a biohazard symbol and warning infectious material inside.

In Pennsylvania, we do not have a needle exchange program AND hospitals, etc., are NOT required to take your used needles. You are also NOT allowed to throw a sharps container in the garbage. This means that I cannot use a sharps container, since if I do there is no way I can ever get rid of it.

The actual official state recommendation is to put the needles into a sealable container, such as a coffee can. When the can is full, tape it completely shut and write "Do Not Recycle" on it and throw it in the trash. Do NOT mark it as medical waste or you CANNOT ever dispose of it. Seriously.

Pennsylvania Household Sharps Disposal

You can help prevent injury, illness and pollution by following some simple steps when disposing of sharps in your household trash.

1. Place all sharps in a puncture-resistant, hard plastic or metal container. An empty detergent bottle with a screw-on cap or an empty coffee can will do.

RECOMMENDED TREATMENT: Prior to disposal, disinfect your sharps with a solution of 1 teaspoon of bleach in 1/2 gallon of water.

2. Close the container with its original lid and secure with heavy duty tape.
3. Place the tightly sealed container in a paper bag and discard it with your household trash. DO NOT PLACE IT WITH YOUR RECYCLABLES.

DO:
Place sharps in an opaque, puncture-resistant container.
Seal lids on containers of sharps with heavy-duty tape.
Seal trash bags with tape or wire/plastic ties.
Label plastic jug or metal can "DO NOT RECYCLE.***8221;
Keep waste containers out of reach of children and animals.

DON'T:
Place loose sharps in the trash or toilet.
Label the containers as medical waste.
Clip needles with a pair of scissors.
Place sealed containers in with recyclables.
Pennsylvania Sharps Disposal Guidelines

Very stupid...the can is going to get smashed - maybe even in the garbage truck itself, and then needles will be loose and all over the place...but it is the law, no choice in it.

EDIT: BD is a great place to go to look up sharps laws. Here is a link to a US States Map so you can look up your own state laws.

http://bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=62758

Last edited:
Back