Are any of you girls going through this ? (Possible low progesterone level)

Mrs P

Female Moderator
Hi,
I am 33, for the last few months I have been spotting before my period, I've done a little research and one of the causes might be a Hormonal Imbalance,
other than those caused by pregnancy or birth control.
The main cause could be my body is producing too much estrogen or not enough progesterone, possibly due to a thyroid problem or from taking certain medications. (Iam not on any meds)

I know there could be other not likely serious causes too, like uterine fibroids or polyps, ovarian cysts or cervical or uterine cancer.

I am going to schedulle an apointment with my doctor next week... But was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.
I know there are kits you can buy at the drugstore that you can do at home & test your progesterone level... Has anyone done this before ?

i cant say for sure. but i want to try and get some attention put on this thread.
My ex wife had done this for some time. she started running and putting a stress on her body. this was very new to her and her periods became spotty 2-3 day before she got any heavy flow.
the doc told her its the stress she has put on the body and it would take care of it self when the body learned to relax.
i'm not saying this is what you are having. at first we had been worried just as you are i bet.
hopfully peeps see some action on this topic and jump in. (she was not medicated )
oh and the cycle only lasted 4 days and she was done.

Hi,
I am 33, for the last few months I have been spotting before my period, I've done a little research and one of the causes might be a Hormonal Imbalance,
other than those caused by pregnancy or birth control.
The main cause could be my body is producing too much estrogen or not enough progesterone, possibly due to a thyroid problem or from taking certain medications. (Iam not on any meds)

I know there could be other not likely serious causes too, like uterine fibroids or polyps, ovarian cysts or cervical or uterine cancer.

I am going to schedulle an apointment with my doctor next week... But was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.
I know there are kits you can buy at the drugstore that you can do at home & test your progesterone level... Has anyone done this before ?

if your doc can run a blood test, why test it at home? there're kits for everything, but they're usually more expensive and less accurate than a lab test through your doc.

i cant say for sure. but i want to try and get some attention put on this thread.
My ex wife had done this for some time. she started running and putting a stress on her body. this was very new to her and her periods became spotty 2-3 day before she got any heavy flow.
the doc told her its the stress she has put on the body and it would take care of it self when the body learned to relax.
i'm not saying this is what you are having. at first we had been worried just as you are i bet.
hopfully peeps see some action on this topic and jump in. (she was not medicated )
oh and the cycle only lasted 4 days and she was done.

Thanks Cyto33,
I guess I can do with less stress in my life... I do try to relax & take it easy when ever I can, but now days is kind of hard to distress... I'll have it check by the doctor, I feel fine besides the spotting, I have energy, & try to eat healthy... My husband was just worried that it might be something more serious... But Iam sure is probably like you said Stress or hormones out of wack...Thanks for your reply :)

if your doc can run a blood test, why test it at home? there're kits for everything, but they're usually more expensive and less accurate than a lab test through your doc.

You're right, I just tought I buy the kit & get the reults right away, I tought the kit would be cheaper.. I have to pay for he labs out of pocket, But I'll check with my doctor for sure...Thanks :)

your welcome.
you know your body better then we do ( your hubby that is) and me with my ex or even currant GF
we just want our girls safe cause we care and love them.
best of health.

Don't play around, I'm sure it just stress. Please not the home blood work, just get to the gyno asap. There are a lot of women who go through what you are going through so don't worry, it's nothing!
So just as my wife says suck it and get it done.

Last edited:
You're right, I just tought I buy the kit & get the reults right away, I tought the kit would be cheaper.. I have to pay for he labs out of pocket, But I'll check with my doctor for sure...Thanks :)

I wouldn't worry too much about this. I had the same symptoms at several points in my life, it was hormonal fluctuations which went away on their own. Also, if you've taken any supplements for athletic performance, this could bring this about.

Hi,

The main cause could be my body is producing too much estrogen or not enough progesterone
Absolutely.. When I had too much progesterone, I was spotting and had irregular periods. Plus hot flashes..

I am going to schedule an apointment with my doctor next week...
This is the best course of action!! Listen to your own advice!! :)

Good luck and keep us posted
Supes

Absolutely.. When I had too much progesterone, I was spotting and had irregular periods. Plus hot flashes..

This is the best course of action!! Listen to your own advice!! :)

Good luck and keep us posted
Supes

Thanks Supergirl :)

I went to BodyLogicMD which is doctor who specializes in hormone balancing. They do all sorts of tests, I had 50some tests done! I turned out to be low on progesterone and test. Google a doctor near you for "bioidentical hormone therapy" and see what you come up with. I had a great experience. Hope everything turns out ok!

I went to BodyLogicMD which is doctor who specializes in hormone balancing. They do all sorts of tests, I had 50some tests done! I turned out to be low on progesterone and test. Google a doctor near you for "bioidentical hormone therapy" and see what you come up with. I had a great experience. Hope everything turns out ok!

yeap !! , I'll check into this.. it's funny how sometimes you tell your symptoms to your doctor & they basically tell you to just wait & see..
you have to do your own research & do it your self... thanks for your input :)

ya i agree definitely go to the gyno asap. I had the same problem, and my period actually went away for a year and a half. Nothing, not even spotting. Mine was from excessive exercising. After blood work was done, i was comfortable knowing that nothing was actually physically wrong with my body, I just had low bf and my body was being over trained. That's something that's easily managed too.
You never really know what the issue could be so it's always safer to have things checked out!
You only get one body, treat it well :)

ya i agree definitely go to the gyno asap. I had the same problem, and my period actually went away for a year and a half. Nothing, not even spotting. Mine was from excessive exercising. After blood work was done, i was comfortable knowing that nothing was actually physically wrong with my body, I just had low bf and my body was being over trained. That's something that's easily managed too.
You never really know what the issue could be so it's always safer to have things checked out!
You only get one body, treat it well :)

Thanks WM,
I've heard that could happen when u have low body fat, your period goes away... I think in my case is probably a hormonal problem, I've always been very regular that why I was concerned, I have the appointment already with the gyno, so hopefully everything is fine & I can erase this from my to do list. Did the doctor send you anything to regulate your period ? or are u still going through the same thing ?

I never had this, I just had high natural test for a woman. They wanted to put me on something to lower it but, I refused. Let us know what happens with this. It is very common and a progesterone based bc will regulate your menstruation.

good luck

I never had this, I just had high natural test for a woman. They wanted to put me on something to lower it but, I refused. Let us know what happens with this. It is very common and a progesterone based bc will regulate your menstruation.

good luck

Thanks !
What does bc stand for ? I am just guessing it might be low progesterone based on my symptoms & what I have researched, I wonder what the doctor might send me to regulate my progesterone is it ends up being this.

Thanks WM,
I've heard that could happen when u have low body fat, your period goes away... I think in my case is probably a hormonal problem, I've always been very regular that why I was concerned, I have the appointment already with the gyno, so hopefully everything is fine & I can erase this from my to do list. Did the doctor send you anything to regulate your period ? or are u still going through the same thing ?

I have put one some bf since, and changed a few things and my period did come back. but now that I'm back to more intense training and dieting again, my period is gone. I never really get much of a period anymore. My gyno has checked my hormone levels and says that they're acceptable.
I keep making changes to my body so it never really adapts and it doesn't know what's going on.
He insist's that it's perfectly fine, and it's not a concern if I am not worried about having a period. This is common in alot of althetes and it may initally happen when people jump into intense or highly active exercies.
none the less, it's best to have your own doctor look into it. everyone's different

Back