Best Entry Level AR 15 - What do you guys think?

IMT staff

Official Sponsor
Hey Fellas,

Looking to get my first AR, not interested in building one cause I just don't have the time. I want to get something inexpensive to play with and tear down and learn about them and then maybe next year build one.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

For AR's under $800 I have landed on the Smith and Wesson M&P Sport II in FDE. From what I see out there there are no bad reviews on this one and I have a couple M&P pistols that can take a beating.

Let me know what you guys think!!

If you really want to go entry level , check out the DPMS panther . Similar to the s&w in specs, but about $150 cheaper. light weight and handy, I got a couple for the wife and kids to learn how to shoot . For myself I lean towards my Rock River Arms elite tactical operator in .308

Awesome man! Thanks for the heads up on those. How are the range reports on them?

I am with you on the 308, when I build one I am going to do that for sure, just wanted one to tinker with for now.

I've found Palmetto State Armory to be a decent rifle. You can assemble one fairly cheap. I purchased the upper that I wanted separate from the lower so technically I didn't build the rifle I just assembled it. The upper and lower were already complete so all I had to do is put them together which is simply two pins. And for an affordable Ar I'm really happy with it

I've found Palmetto State Armory to be a decent rifle. You can assemble one fairly cheap. I purchased the upper that I wanted separate from the lower so technically I didn't build the rifle I just assembled it. The upper and lower were already complete so all I had to do is put them together which is simply two pins. And for an affordable Ar I'm really happy with it

i recommend you get something with a low gas block and skip the iron sights.. you can put some flip up mag pulls on them until youre ready for a decent sight..
if you dont, then you have to spend the money for conversion down the road.. the iron sight is annoying when you want to put your scope on.. esp since youll likely have to use a riser.. which means another piece of equipement that can get get lose and make you lose your battle zero.. nothing is more annoying!

Nice updates here thanks guys!! I actually got the flip up magul on the back and just ordered the flip ups and a rail for the front.

3J you were right, as usual :)

Back