Blood Pressure; What Do Those Numbers Mean?

StoneColdNTO

Administrator
I have seen a few posts where there is some confusion or misunderstanding of what blood pressure numbers mean. I found this little explanation, hope this clears things up.

What Do Those Numbers Mean?
Your doctor tells you your blood pressure is 120 over 70 (written as 120/70). Should you be elated or concerned?

The first number refers to your systolic blood pressure. Systolic is your maximum pressure, taken right after your heart pumps. The second number refers to your diastolic blood pressure. Diastolic is the lowest pressure you have, measured when your heart is relaxed.

Miller says, "120/70 is an optimal blood pressure for adults. People are identified as hypertensive if their systolic number is above 140 and/or their diastolic number is greater than 90."

Wartime100 said:
Guess my blood pressure is kinda high. Just took it. 150/90. Probly from the 50mg of dbol and the 75mg of fina ed.

It wasn't that long ago that a systolic rate of 140 was considered in the normal range...

Do you guys use digital bp monitors or the pump it yourself type with a stethoscope? Just thought I'd throw it in, since this thread just got bumped!

Semper Fi

if you use the one at like safeway and pharmacies and your arm is bigger then the recommended size will it increase or decrease your bp readin?

I was just at docs yesterday and he said the new standard is 120 or lower. He said above 120 is pre-hypertension. I think it changes like their opinion on eggs. One year eggs are healthy next year eggs are the worst food in the world etc....

Went to the doc this am for a chest cold
5'10, 273lbs, on 500 mg test
130/80, both times she took it

Just some further information:

The systolic pressure has to always be greater than that of the diastolic pressure because the diastolic pretty is essentially that of which is in your veins coming back to the heart. For the blood to circulate effectively, your left ventricle has to contract hard enough to send the blood through the aortic semilunar valve to the rest of the body. I know it may seem common sense, but the freshly oxygenated blood is what is pushing the deoxygenated blood back to the heart.

The higher your diastolic pressure is, the harder that right ventricle has to contract. This is where, especially with exogenous hormones, excess left ventricle hypertrophy comes into play.

Moral of the story: for longevity, keep that b.p under control!

Back