Chest: Why not twice a week?

Chicago Made

An honest newbie question. I've posted before that I did chest twice weekly and did not get good feedback.

Is it ok to do one particular area twice if you really want to get that area bigger/ stronger quicker or are lacking in that particular area more than others? And, If not, why?

I really appreciate it guys!

B.B

You have to judge for youself, if you can handle 2 chest workouts and make progress then all is well. Me personally If I work out the way I feel I should then its overtraining going more than 1x a week.

^ for better growth. Everyone knows or should know that the more frequency the more times you will grow... the problem is a lot of people dont know how to work the volume/intensity to do this.

Easto said:
Why would you need to workout chest twice per week????

YOu don't kill it both days. FOr example, speed day 1 haevy max effort day 2. DYnamic day/ME day. Auxilary day// max effort day.

I bench pretty big and now I only bench once per week. I feel like the speed work and extra day helped me at one pooint but once I got to a certain level all it did is start to beat me up and make my shoulders hurt. My bench has not suffered from going to one day a week. It has continiued to go up.

Reading this post, I highly doubt this guy is doing any type of WSBB, not does he care to do a PL routine.

Yeah true that, but you dont have to do WSBB to do chest days twice a week... DC trainees do it and other programs use it too...... think about it... twice a week = 2 growth periods as oppose to once a week.

That makes sense. Day 1 fast, lighter and shorter break time, Day 2 heavy, regular rest. That's if one was to do it twice a week.

I'm just asking because although I have been working out, on and off, for several years I've never really taken the time to truly UNDERSTAND the basic principles behind it all.

You guys have been more than helpful. I really can't explain all the insight I've gotten from reading this board and posting threads.

And I realize my "newbieness" pisses some of the vet's off, for that I apologize for my ignorance. We all learn somewhere though, right.

Thanks again everyone!

B.B

ive been doing DC for a quite a while now and that routine icorporates chest twice a week but since on those days you only do one heavy compound movemnet until failure so you really arent over training. this routine works miracles if done correctly.

Easto said:
Reading this post, I highly doubt this guy is doing any type of WSBB, not does he care to do a PL routine.

True but a westside routine would be one example of a training program that uses two bench days and clearly shows how one is a light and one is heavy. Even if he used the westside routine and applied it to a raw bench his chest would grow for sure.

MuffDyver said:
ive been doing DC for a quite a while now and that routine icorporates chest twice a week but since on those days you only do one heavy compound movemnet until failure so you really arent over training. this routine works miracles if done correctly.

well how about doing a few exercises not til failure twice a week? that would work too. and DC's program can leave some over trained. I have found better growth in a tad more volume and leaving 1 rep short of failure as opposed to going balls to wall

doing mid volume routines are good as well because you are doing a couple of excersises per pody part and doing about 3 sets each one. however, these routines should still be split into a 3 day splits. i will never do a body part twice a week if i did about 3-4 sets of multiple excersises for a paticular body part..to me that is over training.

and as far as DC leaving people over trained, this is not true. this was the case before he made a 2 day split which being overtrained on this routine is almost impossible. plus the fact that he incororates "cruise weks" allows for minimal platuea and over training.

we bench 2xw. tuesday is low end work and friday is top end work.

an example is tuesday is full range or off a two board paused. friday is off a 3 or 4 board with straight weight, bands or chains. either shirted or raw.

however remember that is kinda specialized for powerlifting and normally after 4 or 5 weeks of this i need a week off or at least a deload week or two.

hope this helps.

read iron addicts thread on powerlifting routines in the stickies.

there are some valuable info thier

bingo_soothes said:
Couple questions:

What is:

1. "DC"don't know

2. "westside routine" westside barbell, owned by louie simmons;powerlifting guru

3. "WSBB" same as #2

4. "PL routine" Powerlifting routine

???

:)

Back