Crimping my vials - Not coming out right

C.Stunt

Bought a batch of 25 x 10ml vials, dishing up my brew etc, but when it comes to crimping, it just comes out poor.

I use a hand crimper. I put the vials on a flat surface with the butyl stopper pushed in. I gently ease the crimper over the septum that's placed on the vial, making sure they're level, I go as low as possible on the vial as not to crimp half way into the septum or something and then I squeeze the crimp firmly, not too fast, not too slow. My vials always come out with a ridge in the middle of the septum (like a 'lip') and the opening of the septum that's meant to be neatly tucked in and underneath itself is usually visible (at a 90o angle, or sometimes, even pointing down like barely any pressure has been applied). They're just eye sores basically. Not how I want them to be: neatly tucked, flat and smooth.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've looked up a few videos on youtube of people crimping, and I'm doing exactly what they're doing....

EDIT: Just had a thought, could it be that the opening of the vials don't 'come out' far enough, thus not allowing enough room for the septum to tuck underneath?

Last edited:
Post some pics!!

Crimper model, Vial neck size, etc.

Also please post a pic of your cap pre crimping......next to a finished vial with the outcome that you didn't like, and I think I can help you pinpoint the problem.

I can tell that it's probably not the vial....it's either your crimper isn't adjustable....or isn't adjustable enough.....or the lip on your vial caps isn't long enough....or a combination of both.

Think Progear has a point here bro, looks like you are doing it right, so maybe it`s not you but the equipment !

I use a spoon to crimp my vials and never had a problem

and spoons are much cheaper than crimpers!!

i plan on switching my vials to the crimping style i want to use it on 10ml vials so what size caps and what size crimper should i use? i have an idea but must be sure b4 i order it all

Most crimpers have a set screw to adjust for how much it crimps. If it's adjusted too tight the rolled edge will bunch together.

Back