Deadlift anaylization

Smallguy

ok so this is what I know

I can conventional dead 345 for reps (4 or 5)

last time I did rack deads I missed 365... i was trying to max and jumped form 315 ot 365 but I know I could rep with 315

This week I did block pulls and was able to do reps with 275

so my goal was 4 plates tihs year but I think I can get that by the new year

so I guess my question is Should I keep rotating in different variations??

or should I concentrate more on either racks or block pulls??

I'm following exmqg's routine so if you want to wait for him to answer that's cool

What I'd like to know is how damaging deadlifts and squats are to the spine in the long run.

I think if you're following his routine, you should probably wait for him. The thing is, when you want to start working on a particular lift, you need to start being able to identify strengths and weaknesses. For instance, do you try to squat the weight, or are you all lower back? Where is your sticking point? What stance are you using?

Just things to think about.

putin said:
What I'd like to know is how damaging deadlifts and squats are to the spine in the long run.

Now I'm no doctor, but a friend of mine's dad, who is 55 or so, apparently he was quite into lifting at about my age and has kept it up throughout the years. He stopped doing deadlifts and such when he got less serious. A few years back he developed back problems and told me that since he started deadlifting again his problems are gone.

Anyways back on topic:

Depends where your weak point is on deads. If you have problems breaking the floor then focus on block pulls. If your problem is with locking out then rack pulls are the place to be. Of course rotating in goodmornings every few weeks will help with your pulling too. If you don't feel that straight up deads are stuck at all then by all means continue just doing those. I did nothing but conventional deads for a year or so and in that time put about 200lb on my 5 rep dead, I hadn't attempted a 1RM at the time I started so I don't know how much that increased.

I agree with Insane, my back has never felt better when I'm doing deadlifts. Got a 55-year old power lifter at my gym who pulls big numbers and says he's never had the slightest problem. I know these are far from scientific though.

Smallguy: pullinbig/exmqg is in Chicago for a few days, but I suspect that whatever types of deads you do kind of depends on your individual situation. If you are doing online training with him, then I guess he'll know about your individual situation, but it not, then....

Eat lots of food and keep doing those deads and I'm sure you will have 4 plates on the bar in no time.

Back