deadlifts are killing my back!!

bAdGeNetIcS

i have good form...but for some reson the left side of my back kills after deads...arce there any other excersises i could do to replace deads?

in a way no. Deadlifts are a whole body functional work out.
So you can do Pull ups, barbell rows, shrugs. Those will replace deadlifts. I know i missing something

Keep the bar tight to your shins, so you're losing some hairs each rep. Seriously, that'll save your back.

Good mornings are a good assistant to deads. I wouldn't stop deadlifting though, if you want to keep growing.

slobberknocker said:
Keep the bar tight to your shins, so you're losing some hairs each rep. Seriously, that'll save your back.

Good mornings are a good assistant to deads. I wouldn't stop deadlifting though, if you want to keep growing.

Good post Slobber
Keeping the bar as close as possible to your shins will keep the strain off of your lower back.....

bAdGeNetIcS said:
i have good form...but for some reson the left side of my back kills after deads...arce there any other excersises i could do to replace deads?
hopefully your still able to squat . try like these guys said with keeping baR CLOSER TO SHINS/LEGS ETC. & i dont recommend any of them crazy deadlift 3 days a week things , thatll rip back flesh for sure if your not un super roids to heal .

its actually both my left side and my lower back

thanks for the input guys...ill definatley try to keep it closer to my shins

Fuck deads! I don't care how careful you are, eventually they will hurt you and then you are fucked. I herniated a disc last fall from deads and had to get surgery, it was a party!

You can use rack deadlifts, good mornings, reverse hypers -- all of which will help increase your muscles and stabilizers to give you MORE stability and strength on your deadlift.

The reason one side of your back is hurting, is either you have a major pre-existing injury -- which doesn't seem to be the case here, or you are having a form breakdown... which is probably more apparent.. .especially with an exercise like deadlift.

Have a look into the other exercises that can help bolster your dead... I might suggest rack deads for the time being, it will help you concentrate on your form... and add in some reverse hypers and good mornings... these will all help strengthen the area.

C-ditty

slobberknocker said:

No doubt.

I have the same problem when doing deads. One side of my lower back will start to hurt like a mofo. I have sence been doing GM's, and rack deads.

bigdelt69 said:
I have the same problem when doing deads. One side of my lower back will start to hurt like a mofo. I have sence been doing GM's, and rack deads.
I have this problem from time to time, one of my shoulders is a disaster and causes some inconsistencies in my pulling, i try to minimize it as much as possible. Also if you pull with the standard one under one over, try putting both your hands over the bar and use wraps, as it is much tougher to not use raps with this grip. As long as you are not a competitive powerlifter wraps shouldn't be much of a big deal. With teh standard grip you may be straining one side of your body a little more. That is why I have heard bodybuilders recommend shifting each hand you put under the bar every workout, to avoid imbalances.

Whoever said if you form is good it shouldn't hurt, that is an oversimplified answer to this question.

As far as real-world and athletic benefits, there is NO replacement for Deadlifts. If all you're looking for is hypertrophy of specific muscles, you have to do numerous different exercises to replace what you can get from Deadlifts.

From the sound of it, you are most likely using an alternating grip which can easily promote strength and flexibilty imbalances in the back. As a result, there is more potential for back pain and injury. Competetive powerlifters just want to be able to put up the biggest numbers possible according to the rules of competition in the shortest amount of time, so it's not as big a deal to them. That means they're willing to take bigger risks. As a result, a lot of them train with the same alternating grip all the time. But the imbalance problems can be avoided by using a double overhand grip all the time while doing some supplemental grip work (which incidentally will keep your forearm growth from lagging behind your other muscles) or just by alternating your over and under hands on each set. You can also significantly increase your grip for double overhand deadlifting by using a hook grip (fingers over thumb).

Last edited:
i have seen a lot of people accelerate the bar off the ground while leaving to much slack in their arms , have your arms fully extended and start with a steady pull on the bar before you explode up with it

i love deads. i dont know what would do with out them!!! i move furniture part time and my back embraces deads like a horny wife greeting a sailor after a 6 month deployment. it must suck to be in that situation. i hope i never get there. i take my time when doing deads and dont have any probs. i lve them i cant say it enuff.

Your lower back muscles...or your spine???

Don't forget...when your chest gets sore you love it. When your back muscles get sore...love that too!!!!

It just means that you are building bigger muscles and that you DID work that area...THAT is why it is sore. Don't be afraid of lower back soreness!!!!

What are you doing to increase your lower back strength? Good Mornings, reverse hypers, lots of ab work for strength?

There is no replacement for deadlifts...well...maybe another gram of test. I'd rather do deads though:)

B True

Back