Decline bench... needed or not?

Chicago Made

My guy who used to compete said he has never done declines (even when he was competeing) and they are unneccessary.

Your guys thoughts?

you dont NEED them persay....and i usually dont do them, ive only recently threw them in my DC training.

You dont need them. I find they help out my bench #s however

I don't seem to be able to isolate my pecs with them, so I don't do em. I would definately trade decline for incline ANY day, and almost any pro BB agrees.

outlawtas2 said:
I don't seem to be able to isolate my pecs with them, so I don't do em. I would definately trade decline for incline ANY day, and almost any pro BB agrees.

you cant isolate your pecs in ANY compound movement.... hence the name compound movement.

I use them when my shoulders get achy.... it definately takes the stress off of them...and I recall reading a while back somewhere that declines actually work the pec muscle harder than inclines or flat bench..... I think it was talked about here a while back....

I can't do dips or declines anymore with any kind of respectable weight without hurting my shoulders. They do hit the triceps quite hard if you are looking for that kind of workout.

thefantom1 said:
I use them when my shoulders get achy.... it definately takes the stress off of them...and I recall reading a while back somewhere that declines actually work the pec muscle harder than inclines or flat bench..... I think it was talked about here a while back....

Yeah, awhile back there was a clip about it in Men's Health. They hooked guys up with electrodes to see which exercises hit the pecs hardest (most muscle fiber used). Decline dumbbell press outperformed all of them. But take that for what it is worth and be careful not to jump to any conclusions.

Mudge said:
I can't do dips or declines anymore with any kind of respectable weight without hurting my shoulders. They do hit the triceps quite hard if you are looking for that kind of workout.

Mudge you seem to be a power type could they increase reps & weights max??
Have not done them in 10yrs but might throw them in my next chest workout!
Also have you ever done 100's??
or 3 sets of 30+ reps & would they help?

thefantom1 said:

I have read that in a couple of magazine, yet almost all pro BB'er say to do inclines.

Mudge said:
....but flat bench doesn't aggravate your shoulders? If so, that's seems opposite of how it should be. The more you abduct and externally rotate your humerus the more stress you're putting on the shoulder joint. Decline should make pressing easier on your shoulders.

yeah i agree with docj....actually reading up before i take my PT test this month and that is something li literally came cross 15 minutes ago

DocJ said:
....but flat bench doesn't aggravate your shoulders? If so, that's seems opposite of how it should be. The more you abduct and externally rotate your humerus the more stress you're putting on the shoulder joint. Decline should make pressing easier on your shoulders.

Agree. Right now I'm recovering from a rotator cuff injury and I can't do any presses but I can do dips or decline better.

Back