Difficulty Sleeping (any OTC or remedies?)

one way step

Does anybody have any major issues sleeping like I do? If so what type of remedies or medication do you take?

I was on valium and ambien for sleep for about four years but I got off those drugs in September and my body's natural ability to sleep is still shot. I've tried melatonin and unisom and neither have worked unless I take like 5 of them.

The only OTC ive found to work is the melatonin pills that disolve under the tongue. Even thats hit or miss though. I have a sleep issue as well and nothing works all the time unfortunately.

I'm on TRT (test, hcg, adex).

No drug or alcohol issues; the valium and ambien was prescribed by my endo to deal with sleep issues that TRT was causing.

TRT usually helps one sleep better.

I too am a huge melatonin fan. 1-2mg an hour or two before you want to sleep. If you can't plan ahead like that, take about 5mg right when you want to go to sleep. But the former is preferred. The melt under the tongue variety works better.

One note, it helps you fall asleep, but not stay asleep.

Last edited:
Are you having issues falling or staying asleep?

I made a thread about this a few months ago and got a lot of feedback so it might be worth checking out the helpful suggestions people made:
http://www.steroidology.com/forum/anabolic-steroid-forum/672892-experience-sleep-supplements.html

As mega said, for staying asleep (my main issue) melatonin (as well as its precursors such as 5-htp & L-tryptophan) is pretty much useless due to its high sensitivity to light.
IME, only doxylamine (anti-histamine recommended by 3J - thanks buddy) was effective at helping me both fall & stay asleep every time I used it. Though I don't recommend using it daily.

I made a thread about this a few months ago and got a lot of feedback so it might be worth checking out the helpful suggestions people made:
http://www.steroidology.com/forum/anabolic-steroid-forum/672892-experience-sleep-supplements.html

As mega said, for staying asleep (my main issue) melatonin (as well as its precursors such as 5-htp & L-tryptophan) is pretty much useless due to its high sensitivity to light.
IME, only doxylamine (anti-histamine recommended by 3J - thanks buddy) was effective at helping me both fall & stay asleep every time I used it. Though I don't recommend using it daily.
Is doxy what is found is unisom?

I always try to have sex or a big wank before bed. I usually sleep really well afterwards.

anytime.. that stuff knocks me on my ass... love it for when im sick or dealing with insomnia

I am surprised as just how well the sublingual melatonin helps me get to sleep. I use 10mg and within 20 mins I am out. Very nice, thanks for the suggestion in this thread!

Yes I am going to try the under the tounge technique tonight too.

My doctor gave me trazodone to help me sleep a week before I created this thread since I was literally wasn't getting a wink of sleep. I'm pretty sure my system is still fucked up from the benzodiazepine withdrawal.

Anyway I took the trazodone for about two weeks and, while it helped once I figured the proper dose, I put on 9 pounds since being on it. I was eating my regular healthy diet and everything.

Back to the OTCs.

Oh man that stuff is horrible. I took it for a short time and although it does help you sleep (12+) you wake up feeling like you got kicked in the face by a thoroughbred.

Back