do deadlifts thicken waist

thursdays back and hame workout was interesting. on my last warm up of rack pulls i pulled something in my side. had a sharp pain shoot thru my side just above the belt. i normallly dont wear a belt on these but did tonight as my back was still tight from squats on manday. i wanted to post some pics but they did not turn out well. first day with new camera. plus some weightlifters taking the pics didnt help. :D i will post 2 pics of rack pulls though. one at lockout and one at the ending position when i felt the pain. :mad:

rack pulls were a no go today. injured on last warm up with 675.

high rows on hammer. 12 plates. 2 x 5

seated cable rows. 300lbs 2 x 5

that was it. side is sore but i live to battle another day. i'll get the camera figured out and post some pics of board presses, box squats and some of the other lifts we do.

needsize said:
to me, every exercise is about going as full range as you can, as thats what stimulates growth. I dont care how much weight is on the bar, just that I'm going as deep as I can with it. This attitude has brought my legs up in a big way over the years

I use to go all the way ass down doing squats but now my knee hurts everytime I do them. I no longer do squats to the ground. I do them knees parallel and partials. As far as leg press I go all the way but now my knees are hurting again. Any advice?

Bimmer said:
I use to go all the way ass down doing squats but now my knee hurts everytime I do them. I no longer do squats to the ground. I do them knees parallel and partials. As far as leg press I go all the way but now my knees are hurting again. Any advice?

without seeing you squat it is hard to tell. i have widened my stance a bit as of late and turned my toes further out and the pain in my kness is substantially less. also wrapping your knees will make a big difference. you will have to do more weight but the kness are protected very well. get a good quality wrap and snug um up pretty tight. once a hit over 500 i wrap cause if i dont my knees will be sore for several days. post a pic if you can of your squat stance and on the leg press.

pullinbig said:
try backing down on the weight and see how it feels. go deep!!!! leave your ego at the door and try it.

i have done floor presses. I like them but dont like laying in the floor. lololol i do board presses and rack presses for tri strength.

I paid close attention to my form on friday, it feels a little better.

As for floor press, you think that laying one's feet off the edge of the bench, not pressing on the floor could provide the same effect? I suppose you would lose some stability, which may hurt the bigger lifts. I don't often have a spotter, and I dont like lying on the floor, but nothing murders my chest as mercilessly as floor presses.

Sorry to hear about your pain on the rack pulls. Get well soon!

I look forward to your videos.

Arnold was a big fan of belts... He said the reason that your waist gets bigger when you do squats and deadlifts is because you recruit your obliques to stabilize.

So, to counteract this, Arnie says to cynch your belt down as tight as possible, to put pressure on those stabilization muscles. If there is an extreme ammount of pressure on muscles to begin with, it will be harder to contract them, and will effectivly stunt their utilization on a given exercise.

So -- take it for what it's worth.. but I tighten my weight belt till I can hardly breath when I work out. I've got a 30" waist, 25+" legs, and a 42+" chest

majic said:
Arnold was a big fan of belts... He said the reason that your waist gets bigger when you do squats and deadlifts is because you recruit your obliques to stabilize.

So, to counteract this, Arnie says to cynch your belt down as tight as possible, to put pressure on those stabilization muscles. If there is an extreme ammount of pressure on muscles to begin with, it will be harder to contract them, and will effectivly stunt their utilization on a given exercise.

So -- take it for what it's worth.. but I tighten my weight belt till I can hardly breath when I work out. I've got a 30" waist, 25+" legs, and a 42+" chest

thats fine if you dont want to develop the most important part of your body. if anrie competed today agaist the top in the game he would finish last. why because the guys of today are more heavily muscled. neglecting the core areas costs you on all your lifts as far as strength gains go. increasing strength is the key to growth.

i have a 40in waste, 34in legs and a 56in chest. 6 ft 300lbs.

Insane_Man said:
I paid close attention to my form on friday, it feels a little better.

As for floor press, you think that laying one's feet off the edge of the bench, not pressing on the floor could provide the same effect? I suppose you would lose some stability, which may hurt the bigger lifts. I don't often have a spotter, and I dont like lying on the floor, but nothing murders my chest as mercilessly as floor presses.

Sorry to hear about your pain on the rack pulls. Get well soon!

I look forward to your videos.

try doing presses in the rack. set the pins up at different heights and this will hit it almost identical to the floor presses and you wont need a spot.

I do all of my deadlifts without a belt except for my heaviest set. Deadlifts develop and strengthen my abs and back more than any other exercise.

huskyguy said:
I do all of my deadlifts without a belt except for my heaviest set. Deadlifts develop and strengthen my abs and back more than any other exercise.

i found out thursday how much pressure is put on the core area when I pulled something in my side doing rack pulls. ouch. gotta squat tomorrow, hope it feels OK then. I didnt bench yesterday cause my side is very tender.

OK here is tonights leg workout.

squats
1 x 5 605

box squats
2 x 4 425

tried leg presses but dey was painful at the bottom. side is tender and discolored. must have torn sumpin. I am gonna try deads thursday and see how it feels. got a meet coming up so that will determine if i am gonna do full power or bench only. peace my bros in iron and remember always clean up your weights and be courtious to the next lifter.

bench assitance work tomorrow. I am going to film some board presses and rack lockouts. dont know if i can post them here but i will try. if not i can IM them thru msn messnger for those of you who want them. i was gonna take clips of squats and box squats tonight but forgot the camera. duhhhh!!!!

bench assistance work tonight.

4 board
365 x 3
385 x 3
405 x 3

5 board
425 x 3
445 x 3
475 x 3

lockouts
405 x 3
435 x 3
465 x 3
495 x 3

thats it. I got some footage but i can not post it on my website. freebie. if someone has a website i will send clips to you and then we can link them to here. gonna try to pull deads thursday. if i can with out too much pain then i'll do the full power meet next weekend. if not bench only will have to do.

hey..... you guys make sure to pick up your weights and leave your area cleaner than when you found it. i went into the gym tonight and someone had loaded the leg press up with 100lbs plates and left them there. aint nothin sorrier than a lazy gym rat. part of working out is loading and unloading plates. you guys be safe.

I disagree with arnolds comment re using a belt. I have 28" quads, with a waist that was 29.5" on contest day, and havent used a belt in many years

Bimmer, wierd that squats to the floor hurt your knees more as when you go below parallel, the stress actually shifts from your knees to your hips, which is a stronger joint anyway

Needsize, when you squat, how far apart are your feet?

BTW, Your ab routine kicks ass!

Insane_Man said:
Needsize, when you squat, how far apart are your feet?

BTW, Your ab routine kicks ass!

glad to hear you like the ab routine
Anyway, my feet are about shoulder width apart, toes pointed out. Heres a video of a set of squats, its was 405 x 10
squat video

nice looking squats. dumped um on you back a bit at the end but with higher rep sets fatigue plays a roll. i'll post some footage of a few of us squatting and doing box squats soon. do you have a web site, if so maybe i can send the footage to you and we can link it from there.

needsize said:
glad to hear you like the ab routine
Anyway, my feet are about shoulder width apart, toes pointed out. Heres a video of a set of squats, its was 405 x 10
squat video

Awesome video.

Thanks for the vid Needsize. That's some nice squatting.

I always worry about my form because I usually get a spotter to tell me how I'm doing, but most people at my gym squat like shit.

pullinbig said:
nice looking squats. dumped um on you back a bit at the end but with higher rep sets fatigue plays a roll. i'll post some footage of a few of us squatting and doing box squats soon. do you have a web site, if so maybe i can send the footage to you and we can link it from there.

Thanks, I do have a website, so I can host it for you if you want

I've got a few other vids that I shot recently too

Heres a bench one, 405lbs for a single, its not huge but not bad for someone who doesnt train at all for strength
bench vid

Heres a deadlift vid, 525lbs for 7 reps, my back is a little rounded, I woke up with a cold that morning and my strength sucked ass, but wanted to do the vid anyway
deadlift vid

A little off topic, but a few vids from my show in the fall
routine
mandatories

needsize said:
Thanks, I do have a website, so I can host it for you if you want

great!! do you have msn messenger? the files are too big to email, so i can get them to you thru messenger. if you dont have it is a free down load. or if you have a better alternative i will do what i need to to get um to you. so far i have board presses and lockouts on video. just figured out how to use my new camera. :) i have a meet next weekend then after that i'll get some more clips of us working out. i think its important for the guys/gals to see proper form and the different training styles to build strength. your clip is a good example. a pic is worth a thousand words and a clip worth 10,000.

Back