Do you snore a lot since taking up bodybuilding? Bodybuilding and Sleep Apnea

asianlifter808 said:
I'd see the doctor if I were you. I used to brush it off the same way as you. But its caught up with me. High blood pressure and high red blood cell count. The chance of a sudden heart failure is real. It will take me years to correct this as mine is pretty severe so its better you start sooner than later.

Besides, if you 're really honest about making good gains from your hours of lifting in the gym, you'll need complete recovery and that means you got to find a solution to this problem of sleep apnea. I'm looking forward to making some good gains as a result of getting better sleep now.

Here's a really useful site by the University of Maryland Medicine Dept - http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/how_serious_sleep_apnea_000065_5.htm

If you need more info as to how the sleep test is conducted or anything else I'll try to help out. Just go see your doctor soon. Because it is SERIOUS!

100lbs in 5 years is impressive. ... how much of it was natural and how much 'assisted' ? Whats your stats?

About 75 lbs was natty and 25 was assisted. Stats are 6' 245lbs approx 15%bf. I'd like to be leaner but that's another topic. Three bigs lifts (raw): Bench 345lb, Dead 585 lbs, Squat 525 lbs. Bench is terribly weak in comparison.

The only reason what you said concerned me is because I have those lethargy symptoms to a 't'. And I know my gains are suffering because of it. Evebn on a good solid cycle my gains are subpar now.

I have found that when I am bulking and really heavy, I snore pretty bad, but when I am not holding a lot of water, or am leaner, it pretty much goes away. I never thought about apnea as I tend to sleep okay, at least I think so

needsize said:
I have found that when I am bulking and really heavy, I snore pretty bad, but when I am not holding a lot of water, or am leaner, it pretty much goes away. I never thought about apnea as I tend to sleep okay, at least I think so
i do the same anytime im in the high 200s or more i snore but once i get down to the mid 200s i stop snoreing .

I thought I may have a condition such as this - still do to be honest. the doc made me go to this sleep clinic and they gave me this machine to take home and wear while I slept. it hooked onto my finger, sort of like a heart monitor at the hospital I guess. next day I brought it back to them and they told me everything was fine.
although I have all the symptoms that are described here. still not sure what I should do?

Let me tell you that I ALWAYS thought I was sleeping well. My reason was: (1) I know I dream and often remember them vividly, (2) I have no problems falling asleep; put head on pillow and within 5 mins I'm out, (3) I'm dead to the world when asleep ie deep sleep and it would take a bomb to wake me.
But I also showed typical symtoms of sleep apnea and waking up was like getting out coma each morning. Well the sleep test told the real state of how I was sleeping. And its been going on for many years. So much so that my body has tried to compansate for the lack of oxygen by producing way more red blood cells. The body is amazing!

Last edited:
speller said:
I thought I may have a condition such as this - still do to be honest. the doc made me go to this sleep clinic and they gave me this machine to take home and wear while I slept. it hooked onto my finger, sort of like a heart monitor at the hospital I guess. next day I brought it back to them and they told me everything was fine.
although I have all the symptoms that are described here. still not sure what I should do?

Take a machine home and it only hooks to your finger??? That test doesn't sound right at all!

Do some research about sleep tests and you'll find that you'll have at least a dozen wires to your head alone to record brain waves, a few electrodes on your face to record eye movement, two chest straps to record the expansion of your chest, more wires to you feet to record lower body movements and finally a clip that hooks to your finger to record pulse. You are filmed all night and also audio recorded for sounds. I was amazed that the technician could tell I needed to take a leak that night! LOL! It has to be done in a sleep lab as the technician will ask you to confirm the connections of the electrodes eg he asked me to blink, move my eyeballs while eyes closed - left then right up and down (I wanted to test the accuracy so I deliberately made a couple of mistakes ... and behold! He'd say: "No look the other way!", think of something happy, twich my toes, etc ... you get the idea. Oh and I forgot to mention detectors just at the nosrils to record air pressure coming out of the nose.

Finally they do a second comparative test to compare your sleep readings with a CPAP machine. The machine has to be calibrated to a certain pressure.

So I would seriously think about getting another test with another clinic. What you had sounds really bogus, sorry to say.

Last edited:
I can't fall asleep on my back unless its an hour + or something, so that crap would bug the heck out of me. I sleep primarily on my side, although I usually wake up on my back.

when I did lots of ephedrine I suffered from it

when I quite it took several months to normalize........

somhow I believe its CNS related

now I have no probs

I weigh 330 right now at 6'3

and have no probs

so I am not sure its weight related

at least for me

house1 said:
i have to use a cpap machine when i go to sleep - i am close to 300 lbs at present and stop breathing alot during sleep-

sleep apnea is nothing to ignore -- because of the rapid drop in oxygen when you stop breathing , it can cause a stroke or heartattack-

damn :(

best of luck

I NEVER used to snore...but lately my wife wakes me 2 to 4 times a night complaining that I wake her with my snoring. It has gotten MUCH worse since starting Testosterone Replacement Therapy over a year ago. It also gets REALLY bad when I cycle (over a gram of test per week, plus numerous other anabolic compounds like Anadrol, Tren, Deca, etc.).

I read in my Androgel literature that "Sleep Apnea" is a "Side Effect".
Interesting!

OMEGA said:
when I did lots of ephedrine I suffered from it

when I quite it took several months to normalize........

somhow I believe its CNS related

now I have no probs

I weigh 330 right now at 6'3

and have no probs

so I am not sure its weight related

at least for me

Damn at that weight you MUST compete! Sure would like to see a pic of you. Anyways, if you read most sleep study sites they say it is weight related but its not the only thing that causes sleep apnea.
Never-the-less, you should worry about what sleep apnea does: causes high blood pressure, stroke, buildup of excess red blood cells, reduces your ability to function during the daytime, affects the lives of people around you like your love ones, affects your sex life, work, school etc.

Spartie said:
I NEVER used to snore...but lately my wife wakes me 2 to 4 times a night complaining that I wake her with my snoring. It has gotten MUCH worse since starting Testosterone Replacement Therapy over a year ago. It also gets REALLY bad when I cycle (over a gram of test per week, plus numerous other anabolic compounds like Anadrol, Tren, Deca, etc.).

I read in my Androgel literature that "Sleep Apnea" is a "Side Effect".
Interesting!

Shit that's a truck load of gear! How big are you again?

I have the worst case of sleep apnea my doctor has ever seen and he is chief of medicine at the hospital.

I would wake up violently every 2-3 hours at night and my lips and feet would turn blue.

I would fall asleep anywhere...and I mean anywhere...falling asleep on the toilet was probably the worst. lol

One night I was woken up by a loud "pop" from my chest, I couldn't breath and pain shot from my chest to my wrists. I got out of bed and paced around for a few minutes.

It was about 4 am.

At 9am I went to see my doctor, a few days later I was booked for a sleep study.

My resting heartrate a few weeks after the incident was 144.

Sleep study determined I was averaging 4 secs of REM sleep. The doctor couldn't beleive I was still alive. He uses my file as a study case at the University

I ignored the problem for a long time and as soon as I was put on the CPAP, I lost close to 30 lbs in about a week and a half or so...that's how much excess water I was holding (I was 292 lbs at my heaviest)

BigAndy69 said:
I have the worst case of sleep apnea my doctor has ever seen and he is chief of medicine at the hospital.

I would wake up violently every 2-3 hours at night and my lips and feet would turn blue.

I would fall asleep anywhere...and I mean anywhere...falling asleep on the toilet was probably the worst. lol

One night I was woken up by a loud "pop" from my chest, I couldn't breath and pain shot from my chest to my wrists. I got out of bed and paced around for a few minutes.

It was about 4 am.

At 9am I went to see my doctor, a few days later I was booked for a sleep study.

My resting heartrate a few weeks after the incident was 144.

Sleep study determined I was averaging 4 secs of REM sleep. The doctor couldn't beleive I was still alive. He uses my file as a study case at the University

I ignored the problem for a long time and as soon as I was put on the CPAP, I lost close to 30 lbs in about a week and a half or so...that's how much excess water I was holding (I was 292 lbs at my heaviest)

Now that's bad!!! Wow, 292lbs! Ht?

The doctor was surprised that I was still walking around too. She said I shouldn't drive. The sleep test showed I hardly slept too. They have a scale of which if you're a 32 you're considered having severe OSA. Mine was 63.5!

What brand of machine are you using? I like my ResMed Mirage Activa mask but was thinking of getting my own machine rather than renting it so I'm looking around.

asianlifter808 said:
Now that's bad!!! Wow, 292lbs! Ht?

The doctor was surprised that I was still walking around too. She said I shouldn't drive. The sleep test showed I hardly slept too. They have a scale of which if you're a 32 you're considered having severe OSA. Mine was 63.5!

What brand of machine are you using? I like my ResMed Mirage Activa mask but was thinking of getting my own machine rather than renting it so I'm looking around.

Height is 5'8 and a half.

Sleep Apnea created many problems for me and made me gain a lot of weight as well.

Actually, if I had refused treatment, they would have taken my driving license away. The doctor had to report me to the ministry of transport or whatever...

I'm not sure of the name, I'm not at home right now... I got the best machine they had with "C-Flex", it makes it easier to breath in and out, you don't exhale against the airflow. It cost me $1,800. Insurance coverd $1,200

They are currently going to release a new mask with no straps.

5'8 and almost 300lbs!!!! I was thinking more like 6'2. Damn you are one huge dude! What's the bodyfat if you don't mind me asking?
Taking away your driver's license is drastic but I guess its a safety thing! Well good thing you insurance covers a good part of the cost of the machine. Mine doesn't :( Yep, I'm told if I can afford it CiPAP is better. But its so expensive :(
So how are you feeling now? Did they figure out what that 'pop' was? It doesn't sound good at all. How long have you been using the machine?

Last edited:
Back