Donating blood while on accutane?

4GKenZy

I am banned!
I take a low dose of accutane as a means of preventing any acne from cropping up, because that's what typically happens when I switch to a cruise dose. It works great.

Theoretically, if my hematocrit during a blast were to get too high and I had to donate blood, how would I go about this? You're not allowed to donate blood while on accutane and if they find out that accutane is in my blood they will blacklist me. I heard a rumor that you can call the next day and tell them that you came down with the flu and they will throw your sample away - is this true? In any case, I don't want my blood to go to anyone because accutane has been proven to carry nasty nasty birth defects.

Any input is appreciated.

accutain is pretty harsh and i would not take it lightly. can mess you even years down the road and being off it.
antibiotics cycles if it comes to that but not accu. im against it after researching it alot. shit here they even make you sign a liability waver for doc before giving it to you. derms will down play it but its nasty stuff... not worth it imo ( and i had cycstic acne at some points)

accutain is pretty harsh and i would not take it lightly. can mess you even years down the road and being off it.
antibiotics cycles if it comes to that but not accu. im against it after researching it alot. shit here they even make you sign a liability waver for doc before giving it to you. derms will down play it but its nasty stuff... not worth it imo ( and i had cycstic acne at some points)

I think the side effects are overblown. A lot of the more dangerous ones like depression and chrohn's disease have an extremely low occurrence rate. I only get chapped lips. 20mg twice a week is all I need - that's an incredibly low dose. Derms prescribe 80mg ED.
That's besides the point though.

I'm going in on Sunday, so I can verify, but I think if you get a note for therapeutic phlebotomy from your doc - the red cross can still take your blood - Accutane and all.

Otherwise, time to ask your doctor for one.

The drug casues really nasty birth defects. do what ever it takes to not have your blood end up in the donor pool.

My blood bank says 30 days is enough to clear it out of your system

Back