Effects of antidepressants on muscle and fat?

Jean-Claude

Hey guys, I've been on a test cycle but have been through really tough times and as a result, started taking some antidepressants (celexa) and seems like my shape might have deteriorated.. I was wondering if these types of medication can possibly have a catabolic effect on muscle and encourage fat storage? Hopefully it has nothing to do with it cause I don't feel like I can stop them right now... Anyone knows anything about it? Thanks!

I haven't looked into your specific SSRI, but I do know some can drastically increase estradiol. This sudden increase in estradiol can greatly increase water retention and fat storage.

I'd get a blood test personally, although it may be other factors quite easily as a poor diet due to depression.

My .02c :)

Okok I am taking letro though so I guess the estradiol would be "neutralized" regardless right? Also, diet is back to normal now, it did decrease my apetite for 2-3 weeks.

Okok I am taking letro though so I guess the estradiol would be "neutralized" regardless right? Also, diet is back to normal now, it did decrease my apetite for 2-3 weeks.

Depends on the dose of letro, how your body responds, the dose of aromatizing AAS, and if the SSRI is causing it - just how much. :)

even a minute dosage of letro will crash your estrogen.. why are you taking letro??

even a minute dosage of letro will crash your estrogen.. why are you taking letro??

I had some bitch tits that just would not go away.. Even after a few weeks on letro, still have small (er) hard lumps and pretty emotional still... I definitely don't feel like I need more estro lol.

Really? I thought letro was a killer and eliminated all traces of estro..

Nope, that's a common misconception. Letro IS the most potent of the AIs we have at our disposal, but like any of the others, it's dose dependent. 250mcg is roughly the equivalent of 0.3mg of adex, while 2.5mg of letro is roughly the equivalent of 1.5mg of adex. The difference being that each dose per volume (size of pill/amount of liquid) is much less with letro.

Due to this, it's much easier to obliterate estradiol with letrozole. I use liquids, and 1ml of letro would be great for say 1.5g of testosterone (my numbers) at 2.5mg/ml, while 1ml of adex would maybe cover a gram of test.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Nope, that's a common misconception. Letro IS the most potent of the AIs we have at our disposal, but like any of the others, it's dose dependent. 250mcg is roughly the equivalent of 0.3mg of adex, while 2.5mg of letro is roughly the equivalent of 1.5mg of adex. The difference being that each dose per volume (size of pill/amount of liquid) is much less with letro.

Due to this, it's much easier to obliterate estradiol with letrozole. I use liquids, and 1ml of letro would be great for say 1.5g of testosterone (my numbers) at 2.5mg/ml, while 1ml of adex would maybe cover a gram of test.

Hope that makes sense. :)
Ok then I'm definitely not stopping letro anytime soon.. Thanks a lot!

Hey guys, I've been on a test cycle but have been through really tough times and as a result, started taking some antidepressants (celexa) and seems like my shape might have deteriorated.. I was wondering if these types of medication can possibly have a catabolic effect on muscle and encourage fat storage? Hopefully it has nothing to do with it cause I don't feel like I can stop them right now... Anyone knows anything about it? Thanks!

In regard to the use of SSRI medicines you should have no problem. I have been on many different antidepressant in my career and had no problems as far as catabolic sides. I have been on Prozac for many years and for me it is a life saver.. quite Literally.

Over the years I have plugged in other meds to piggy back the affects and again it never caused a problem with my use of AAS. I was competing back in the 80's and I stared on SSRI's in 75'

Good luck......

In regard to the use of SSRI medicines you should have no problem. I have been on many different antidepressant in my career and had no problems as far as catabolic sides. I have been on Prozac for many years and for me it is a life saver.. quite Literally.

Over the years I have plugged in other meds to piggy back the affects and again it never caused a problem with my use of AAS. I was competing back in the 80's and I stared on SSRI's in 75'

Good luck......
Thank you that is quite encouraging!

it can mess up alot of things, from libido and erections to stability and health.
I would try alot of cognitive therapy before ever even considering these antidepressants that they give out like candy nowadays...
IMO

Good luck......

Prozac. The original selective serotonin re uptake inhibitor from which all the other s basically sprang to life. Frenchman s home brew run amok right ?

Move 1 carbon molecule or how hydrogen reacts to whatever-boom-new patent that MAY just do the trick may not but WILL generate another billion clam s.

I too have run the gamet and settled on test/the gym/ a wee bit cialus AND STAYING BUSY.

OP, if u think it s helping your half way there. I keep Lexapro handy for X mas but at 10 mg s it s the placebo I m sure.

But that s my protocol for normal cognitive logical thinking but the underlying cure for me is kicking my ass in the gym my son and chasing tail and making mo tax free money.

U2 will find what work s

For you.

Last edited:
it can mess up alot of things, from libido and erections to stability and health.
I would try alot of cognitive therapy before ever even considering these antidepressants that they give out like candy nowadays...
IMO

Crap, once again I left my post and there was more to input here, so OP Jean-Claude, hopefully you will return to the site.

Let me clarify because I almost could classify myself as an authority on the use of antidepressants (not quite ) There is much truth to the side effects of using SSRI's. As porkchop said it can play havoc with things like libido an others. Even suicide has been on the list of sides on Prozac but look at what I said it IS for ME a LIFESAVER

It is true that all these meds are given out like candy , and oh all these people thinking and being told they are Bi-Polar...BVLLSHIT. AND we have the people being told they have a depression disorder... BVLLSHIT with this. Many people have mood swings and move of a degree then the average and they are not bi-polar so things to keep you busy and therapy etc can help as porkchop said and do not need and should try to stay away of SSRI's. Like the person who gets depressed from a death or divorce etc, should try therapy and other things first.

HOWEVER sometimes a small dosage and for a short time can be beneficial without some sides. Also use common sense, if unwanted sides, Simon Says stop them...Hello!

Now I have seen myself and I have experienced myself that some of these meds are very GOOD. Ya hear that everyone. Really effective in the right way. As we use exogenous hormones we have other unwanted sides and so we learn to deal with them and sometime it's just with diet not more chemicals.

A person must be aware of the dangers associated and deal with. Now in my case and many others I am a Type I classic and quite a serious case of Bi-Polar. I would be dead, or maybe committed homicide if it weren't for the help of SSRI's and more. I have been in hospitals and the State hospital once for a short stay. Not proud and of course not boasting but that's due to my chemical imbalance. SO I can say I have experience this 1st hand and for many years. What came first was the disorder NOT the meds as some may think.

If you have this problem due to an environmental situation and this is to pass , well be aware. But if you are on a shot term plan go with it. Even sometimes if it is just a placebo as my friend Teut says this is a good thing. Knowing that you will only take the med for a short time.

SO back to the original question do they interact and I tell you NO. I think for your case a short interval of medication can help bring you quickly out of a depressed state and keep you moving with things that help your emotions to bring out of the funk. I'm not a doctor of course but I advise you be open with your doctor and tell him you don't want this to RUN your life.

Finally people say all kinds of shit about these meds and don't know shit. Again keep your focus on your positive, and TRY not to be dependent on the medication.

As Milton said let us know what up, how it goes. We like people to tells their outcomes so we all learn.

Last edited:
keep up the fight brother! your a part of bb'ing army so you can handle some heavy weights on your shoulders;) life is slippery at the best of times, YOU are in charge of your life, do whatever makes you happy, if 1 anti depressant doesnt work - try another until you find the one that works for you ... keep us posted brother, help is always here

Crap, once again I left my post and there was more to input here, so OP Jean-Claude, hopefully you will return to the site.

Let me clarify because I almost could classify myself as an authority on the use of antidepressants (not quite ) There is much truth to the side effects of using SSRI's. As porkchop said it can play havoc with things like libido an others. Even suicide has been on the list of sides on Prozac but look at what I said it IS for ME a LIFESAVER

It is true that all these meds are given out like candy , and oh all these people thinking and being told they are Bi-Polar...BVLLSHIT. AND we have the people being told they have a depression disorder... BVLLSHIT with this. Many people have mood swings and move of a degree then the average and they are not bi-polar so things to keep you busy and therapy etc can help as porkchop said and do not need and should try to stay away of SSRI's. Like the person who gets depressed from a death or divorce etc, should try therapy and other things first.

HOWEVER sometimes a small dosage and for a short time can be beneficial without some sides. Also use common sense, if unwanted sides, Simon Says stop them...Hello!

Now I have seen myself and I have experienced myself that some of these meds are very GOOD. Ya hear that everyone. Really effective in the right way. As we use exogenous hormones we have other unwanted sides and so we learn to deal with them and sometime it's just with diet not more chemicals.

A person must be aware of the dangers associated and deal with. Now in my case and many others I am a Type I classic and quite a serious case of Bi-Polar. I would be dead, or maybe committed homicide if it weren't for the help of SSRI's and more. I have been in hospitals and the State hospital once for a short stay. Not proud and of course not boasting but that's due to my chemical imbalance. SO I can say I have experience this 1st hand and for many years. What came first was the disorder NOT the meds as some may think.

If you have this problem due to an environmental situation and this is to pass , well be aware. But if you are on a shot term plan go with it. Even sometimes if it is just a placebo as my friend Teut says this is a good thing. Knowing that you will only take the med for a short time.

SO back to the original question do they interact and I tell you NO. I think for your case a short interval of medication can help bring you quickly out of a depressed state and keep you moving with things that help your emotions to bring out of the funk. I'm not a doctor of course but I advise you be open with your doctor and tell him you don't want this to RUN your life.

Finally people say all kinds of shit about these meds and don't know shit. Again keep your focus on your positive, and TRY not to be dependent on the medication.

As Milton said let us know what up, how it goes. We like people to tells their outcomes so we all learn.

totally agree. i remember doc gave me "samples" of effexor when i was "depressed" in highschool for various reasons... when all i needed to do was figure my shit out and get out of the "rebel to society" stage.. iv never felt soo fucked up as i did on that drug.. ever... even friends where asking if i popped xtc because my pupils would go big and small in fluctuations and apparently i was acting very strange.. after a few weeks i stopped, i felt sooo unhealthy it was not even funny...
another guy i know got them because he was very depressed after a break up... tossing a pill at situations that need to be dealt with like that is a bandaid and wont help, only start you down a bad path of pills and meds if you didnt truly need them. piss's me off!
thought causes chemical changes in the brain, so its not always the chemical imbalance but a thought pattern that needs to be addressed for many. but what money is there in that for big pharma?
I do believe in some cases it helps (like yours it seems), I just always warn people to try every other option before going on the long hall of a pill to help. if can be avoided it is best. and as you say for some severs cases of trauma it may play a short term role as well.

here was a little interesting article i found, mor eon it, but anti D's deff can play a roll in with loss and gain, there is other research out there on it and not all meds are the same> http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/04/29/antidepressants-that-cause-weight-loss-wellbutrin-is-best/

Last edited:
Quote Pork Chop: ... I do believe in some cases it helps (like yours it seems), I just always warn people to try every other option before going on the long hall of a pill to help. if can be avoided it is best. and as you say for some severs cases of trauma it may play a short term role as well. End Quote.

Good post pork chop as I said these short episodes of depression due to the environment , divorce, death and so on should be treated with therapy and other rather then meds, until the person shows the lacking ability to come out of it. In 75' they only gave me something mild to help me sleep for a while. I took a leave of absence and went to the lake house with my family. after a month of getting worse I went into long term therapy with a Psychiatrist MD. Then hospitalized when suicide became my option , so I thought.

After 3-4 weeks I was diagnosed as having manic - depressive psychosis. That was what Bi-Polar Disorder was call then. You need to realize in my case I had already had been having manic episodes for most of my childhood. Medication of SSRIS was the only thing that stabilized me. BUT remember I was quite ill for over two months and watched in a, in house setting before we realized this was long term.

In regard to fat increase or decrease certain meds have their own inherent side effects and some are opposite what one subject has even on the same medication. BUT this is applicable to mostly FAT and water but not LMM.

Enough of this subject on this forum a well as my testimony but I wanted to put this, with pork chop's post in the right perspective. I hope we have covered your Q's now !! :wavey:

Sorry another long post from Uncle Mike

Last edited:
Back