focus lifting towards mma

teej

i wanna really start focusing my weight training on mma see as i hope to have my first fight by the summer.

just wondering if anyones got any good mma workouts, excercises, etc geared towards getting stronger but for mma primarily

Yeah do heavy as hell lifts, and ass loads of cardio... Only thing I know... You got to be a power house and a cardio freak.

i walk around at and 155 pretty cut, my coach said id probably fight at 145, maybe with the right coaching i can get down to that, i have no idea how to cut weight really ive been thin my whole life.

i know you gotta be strong as hell, but its a different strong than lifters or body builders. i know its more usefull to do high intensity and things such as kettlebell and explosive lifts just wondering if anyone who fights could give me some really beneficial workouts or exercises

MMA fighters tend to have a TON of lean muscle.

Not my favorite fighter but Lyoto Machida is definitely a prime example of the strength that MMA fighters have!

if you walk around at 155, whats meant by weight cut is how much water can you drop in time for weigh ins. if you lift very hard and do a ton of cardio, you arently likely to gain a lot of mass, but your strength should go up. id investigate a strength and conditioning coach. or maybe try and get some time training with a college wrestling team. what they do closely mimic what you need to do. not the technique but how they prep outside of the techniques.

If you are part of an MMA gym and have coaches, shouldn't you be asking them this question.

Your weight program should be based around your needs. Not some standard weight program.

You should be doing a combination of Weights, Stretching, Plyometrics, Cardio, Cross Training.

As important as standup and grappling classes are, strength and conditioning classes are also very important.

yea u kinda wanna do strength training.. you should be worried about growing... so high weight low rep.. lots of cardio (unless your getting it through your mma already)..

i fight at 265... and for the most part i follow a 5 day split.. one major muscle group per day...

then i grapple/box at night and on sat.. so my cardio is in pretty well into play on it's own.. it takes alot less for a 265lb guy to get to an aerobic exercise.. we have to use more energy and carry more weight..

^^^ ya i die about after 2, 3 minute rounds.
You want muscle endurance too. The last 2 sets of every exercise i do is a maxout set. So on chest days i do a max rep set with 225lbs(25) and 135lbs(38) the last two sets. This works for me.

Last edited:
Back