Gear, carbs & gains

i read a study stating you don't need nutrients IMMEDIATELY after working out and the first hour or so after lifting you absorb about 30% less of the nutrients you usually do. how much of this is absoloute fact i don't know. i'm not a scientist. i only drink a shake in the morning now to end my fasting from sleeping asap, whole foods besides that and gains are just fine.

I think people do a shake right after lifting because of the insulin spike. Although I read that just whey itself causes the insulin spike (makes sense since most food does) BUT the insulin spike that you do get is not very big. If you want enough insulin to make a large difference, well you know what you would have to do....

Also carbs around your workout time is best, but when you are bulking and taking in a lot of carbs, eating them at night is completely fine. The whole carbs at night thing and gaining fat is a myth. Now the carbs at night blunting GH production? That may be true, but I really do not know if it is enough to have a negative effect on you since the insulin spike isnt big to begin with, unless a study tells me otherwise.

Last edited:
absolutely ive felt like saying something like this for a long time....insulin response delivering nutrients etc

basmati rice
potatoes
sweet potatoes
brown rice
potato rolls (lot of these)
oats

every meal i have one of these carb sourses in it

I think people do a shake right after lifting because of the insulin spike. Although I read that just whey itself causes the insulin spike and the insulin spike that you do get is not very big. If you want enough insulin to make a large difference, well you know what you would have to do....

Also carbs around your workout time is best, but when you are bulking and taking in a lot of carbs, eating them at night is completely fine. The whole carbs at night thing and gaining fat is a myth.

CFM great to see you brother. I haven't talked to you in a while, you know you're one of my favorite dudes in these circles.

I do whey and maltodextrin immediately post workout to try to spike insulin and push nutrients into damaged muscle cells. I'm also on an all out bulk and I naturally stay skinny, so I just pound calories and don't worry about it. But I do stick to slow carbs otherwise, and whole foods, and a boatload of veggies. More veggies is better, you literally can't eat too many veggies.
I throw in some berries for carbs too earlier in the day, even though fructose is a sugar I feel the antioxidants and vitamins you get are worth it.
As far as cutting carbs at night, it totally depends on the person. A skinny dude like me can rail 500-600grams of carbs a day right up to bedtime and barely put on weight. A beefier guy who holds more fat would probably benefit alot from carb cutoffs at night in his diet. People who really struggle with bodyfat and want to be lean should probably only take in carbs at breakfast and pre and post workout. You just gotta find what works for you.

I love long carbs sweet potato, brown rice,whole wheat pasta,I eat a shit load of fruit not really a long carb but i eat the motherfuckers,lots of beans low sodium,white potato also not a long carb but damn good eatin,and nasty vegetables im a bundy we hate vegetables..Now dont laugh but I eat sweet potato baby food I buy like 50 of them fucks and eat it through out the day great source of energy and quick no cooking.Thats how I roll good shit CFM

Amen.... I preach the gospel of slow carbs all the time. Americans, especially, need to change their relationship to sugar. This includes white rice, white bread, white potatoes, milk, AND... ALCHOHOL! Once I dropped sugar completely, and substituted slow carbs religiously, I started to get big.
My fat fuck coworkers have started asking me how I'm getting so big. I tell them to start with diet. They don't want to listen. Usually the thought of quitting drinking stops them cold.

Amen.... I preach the gospel of slow carbs all the time. Americans, especially, need to change their relationship to sugar. This includes white rice, white bread, white potatoes, milk, AND... ALCHOHOL! Once I dropped sugar completely, and substituted slow carbs religiously, I started to get big.
My fat fuck coworkers have started asking me how I'm getting so big. I tell them to start with diet. They don't want to listen. Usually the thought of quitting drinking stops them cold.
Best thing I ever done stop drinking, harder than when I quit smoking.

Take in as many long carbs as you want EARLY in the day and cut them back later in the day and replace the carbs with fats from nuts and avocado.

funny you mention you should take in your slow carbs early in the day, as most fight camps training fighters, won't let their fighters take in any amount of carbs past noon or 1:00 pm in the day. interesting.

basmati rice
potatoes
sweet potatoes
brown rice
potato rolls (lot of these)
oats

every meal i have one of these carb sourses in it

Do doughnuts and twinkies count? LOL! Seriously great posts and way of thinking. We all associate muscle building with protein.

I always thought carbs were the enemy and I went on a cutting cycle and "cut" almost all my carbs out of my diet in order cut down, i gained but I obviously limited myself. Now, after my cycle, im eating more carbs and I feel/look better!!!! Fuck! live and ya learn i guess...

Back