Glutamine & Creatine, SOmeone tell me wtf

xzon

Master of the Universe
Glutamine will not work good at all if you take it at the same time when you are going through your Creatine cycle. I will explain why.
Creatine and Glutamine depend on many of the same substrate carriers and cotransporters. When the two are competing with one another for the same carriers, one wins and one loses. Let's say for example you have a molecule of sodium (sodium is a carrier for both glutamine and creatine) available to carry a molecule of creatine or glutamine into the muscle cell. Well it's only going to attach to one of them. It's not going to carry both. Therefore one is out of luck and thus will perform some other possibly mundane task or just get excreted as waste.

what the fuck is up with that shit? i read everywhere else that ucan take both at the same time no problem. but this seems very scientifically based, so whats the deal? take C & G at the same time or not?

Glutamine doesnt work with anything, its a scam, creatine on the other hand works well with Dextrose.

hey Yj I thought you had to take dextrose post workout?Maybe I,m takin my creatine at the wrong time?

70w30 said:
hey Yj I thought you had to take dextrose post workout?Maybe I,m takin my creatine at the wrong time?

You should be taking your creatine before and after your workout in my opinion. Both times, take it with Dextrose and definitely take it with alpha lipoic acid. Sportlabs Plasma Vol is a really good creatine,glutamine,ALA stack.

YellowJacket said:
Glutamine doesnt work with anything, its a scam, creatine on the other hand works well with Dextrose.

Well, that would be a matter of opinion here I guess.
I use Glutamine for it's antioxidant properties and I really do feel it helps me with recovery.

Here's a little piece that I pulled from Power Eating by Susan Kleiner, thought it was interesting and informative

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in your body. Most of it is stored in your muscles, although rather significant amounts are found in your brain, lungs, blood and liver. It serves as a building block for proteins, nucleotides(structural units of RNA and DNA), and other amino acids, and it is the principal fuel source for cells that make up your immune system.
Emerging evidence shows that glutamine may optimize recovery-in at least four possible ways. Glutamine spares protein, stimulates the formation of glycogen, protects immunity, and enhances protein synthesis.
During intense exercise, the muscles release glutamine into the bloodstream. This can deplete muscle glutamine reserves by as much as 34 percent. Such a shortfall could be problematic, because of a deficiency of glutamine promotes the breakdown and wasting of muscle tissue. But if sufficient glutamine is available, muscle loss can be prevented.
Glutamine also stimulates the synthesis of muscle glycogen. In a study involving subjects who cycled for 90 minutes, intravenous glutamine administered during a two hour period after exercise, doubled the concentration of glycogen in the muscles. It's not clear exactly how glutamine works in this reagard, though. Scientists speculate either that glutamine itself can be converted into muscle glycogen or that it may inhibit the breakdown of glycogen.
Glutamine is also the chief fuel source for cells that make up your immune system. As noted, stenuous exercise depletes glutamine and researchers believe this shortage may be one of the reasons for the weakened immunity seen in hard training athletes. Supplementing with Glutamine may fend off infections that may sideline your training.
Glutamine assists with controlling hydration levels of cells, called cell volumization. By helping maintain cell volume, protein synthesis is stimulated and protein breakdown is decreased.
Glutamine thus may have benefits for anyone who wants to maximize performance, muscle repair, and immunity. The recommended dosage is between 5 and 15 grams a day.

Fyre said:
You should be taking your creatine before and after your workout in my opinion. Both times, take it with Dextrose and definitely take it with alpha lipoic acid. Sportlabs Plasma Vol is a really good creatine,glutamine,ALA stack.

"word":)

There's an extensive thread on this board and mine with over 20 abstracts & studies & peer review articles that scientifically prove glutamine to be useless to weight training athletes.

Yellow

are you referring to all glutamines?

for some are different than others......

some are

glutamine peptides

some are

l-glutamnine

some are

arganine/glutamine combinations......etc.

I believe the studies you are refering too has to do with pure refined l-glutamine, which just has immune system properties

Last edited:
Im refering to l-glutamine. And there's no physiological link between it and the non-specific immune system and its function, just a scam.

Again, what works for one, might not work for another.
I, myself will continue to use Glutamine as it does work for me.:)

Fyre said:
Again, what works for one, might not work for another.
I, myself will continue to use Glutamine as it does work for me.:)

I agree Fyre, both creatine and Glutamine have/ do work for me.

the changes in my body composition when doing both, and the way I feel is so diffrent when I am injesting it.........that I know its far from being the simple placebo effect.

Yellow also.......sometimes glutamine ( or anyother product) that has been sitting on the shelf for a long time degrades, this coupled with the fact that they are put into inferior jars makes the possibility of it changing in composition a likeley hood.

I never understood this............why the industry puts a pure, and sometimes expensive products into jars or containers that allow vapor to get in.

most are put into HDPE jars those white ones......they have no vaopr barrier, and thus do not protect the product from anything.

PET jars which are clear plastic give the protection to foods and supplements that glass jars do...................sure they are more expensive........but it keep thing pure.

on my end as a producer, I know that when a product leaves the store, it is the same product when it sits on top of your refridgerator......for up to a year.

no presevatives, no nothing just good packaging..........

Last edited:
I have several (around 20) peer review abstracts on the ineffectiveness of glutamine, it has nothing to do with the container.

well I hope that those studies wont prevent you form trying one more kind of glutamine:)
one that we will be sharing =)

glutamine works period , that being said it is not the fountain of youth or a miracle drug , however it has its purpose , if your on a bulker eating children and farm animals whole then glutamine supplementation probably wont make a big diff , but if you are cutting especially extreme low calories or using t3 or dnp then glutamine is a lifesaver , also it is a big help in recovery for us dumbasses who overtrain , i dont have eleventeen studies to post and back this up but this is based on real world experience of myself and those i have advised , if you never believe anything else i say believe this , it is fact peace

DADAWG said:
, if your on a bulker eating children and farm animals whole then glutamine supplementation probably wont make a big diff

, i dont have eleventeen studies to post and back this up but this is based on real world experience of myself ,peace

hey I just had to say that the eating children and farm animals comment , plus the "eleventeen" cmment made me laugh for quite a while:yesway:

not trying to rouse critics here its just hat was damned funny:)

OMEGA said:
hey I just had to say that the eating children and farm animals comment , plus the "eleventeen" cmment made me laugh for quite a while:yesway:

not trying to rouse critics here its just hat was damned funny:)
DAWG aims to please if you dont believe me ask my main squeeze :p

Back