grunting, to do or not to do

AngryMuscles

question: is grunting a bad thing to do? I mean, grunting during PRs or weights beyond your limit. is it an etiquette? isn't grunting somehow helps with lifts, mainly them last 2 reps or so?

thanks

i seem to grunt on heavy lifts/pr. I don't know if it helps but i like to think it does. maybe its mental.

i really want to have a warehouse type gym where there will be strongman, pl, mma and the likes put all together and big ass speakers!! shit that would own. grunting at our gym is mostly frowned upon due...to what??? the old groupies who are doing cardios with heavy ass make ups. it is really sad

AngryMuscles said:
i really want to have a warehouse type gym where there will be strongman, pl, mma and the likes put all together and big ass speakers!! shit that would own. grunting at our gym is mostly frowned upon due...to what??? the old groupies who are doing cardios with heavy ass make ups. it is really sad

i hear you muskles. My gym really don't frown on this but the gym you describe would rule this town. Me and a couple of other bros of mine are actually looking for land to possibly build one, a hardcore gym like the one you speak of. these types of gyms are few and far between.

if you got 250 on the bar you may get some laughs. if you got 550 on the bar you can grunt all you need.

AngryMuscles said:
question: is grunting a bad thing to do? I mean, grunting during PRs or weights beyond your limit. is it an etiquette? isn't grunting somehow helps with lifts, mainly them last 2 reps or so?

thanks
It's annoying to EVERYONE around you. So, dont do it.

tman55 said:
if you got 250 on the bar you may get some laughs. if you got 550 on the bar you can grunt all you need.
Good point; there was a guy at my gym who was small and doing 25lbs for shoulder press and he was GRUNTING the WHOLE TIME! Pretty much everything he did, small weights, he grunted.

But he doesnt do it anymore, at least not at the new gym. Maybe someone told him to stop doing it.

Last edited:
I get loud and angry during heavy lifts, usually only making much noise during the last couple reps that I'm literally fighting for. I never used to do this but you have to employ every means necessary to keep pushing the limits.

Yeah I'd have to say it depends on the situation and on whether or not you're doing it for show. I would atleast recommend breathing one way or another, whether it's grunting or nose breathing just to prevent a pneumothorax (popping a lung).

I couldnt give a fuck what other people in the gym think, i'll make whatever noise i need to complete my lift. Incidentally, for me personally its very little. If you go to train thinking about what other people think of you and your lifts you've already lost on the platform. Tunnel vision.

I think grunting in the gym is fucking irritating unless you're huge, lifting monster weight. Needless to say, I don't do it.

outlawtas2 said:
I don't grunt, but I do let out some loud breaths

Same here................probably blow out a candle from twenty feet away on deadlift days.

Once in a while on really heavy lift I might grunt a little but nothing anyone across the gym would hear.

But I get the biggest chuckle listening to the buck fifty's yelling while trying to lift the 45 plates off storage racks.

Depends;

You can tell if the guy is on his last rep, and last set throwing up some serious weight and gives out a grunt or two to squeeze it out as opposed to the retard that's grunting every fucking rep on every fucking set.

Last edited:
Rez2k1 said:
Depends;

You can tell if the guy is on his last rep, and last set throwing up some serious weight and gives out a grunt or two to squeeze it out as opposed to the retard that's grunting every fucking rep on every fucking set.
. :afro:

Back