Here is my split - When should I throw in DLs?

Trucker111

I haven't been doing DLs since I've been putting explosive movements in its place (for football).

Here is my split, when do you think I should put them in to minimize negative effects on other days? Since I'm tall (about 6'6), with relatively short arms for my height - I've done them sumo style, which hits the legs pretty hard.. I'm going to try to switch it up though, if I can keep from sacrificing form.

Monday - Hamstring/Calves
Tuesday - Chest/Light Tris
Wed - Off
Thursday - Quads, Calves (Squat day)
Friday - Shoulders/Heavy Tris
Saturday - Back/Bis
Sun - Off

I would be inclined to say monday. Although I usually do them on back day, that might be too close to squats.

Insane_Man said:
I would be inclined to say monday. Although I usually do them on back day, that might be too close to squats.
That's what I was thinking.. do you think this would negatively effect growth due to back being 2 days earlier?

On hamstring day, one of my main exercises is straight legged deadlifts, I guess doing conventional DLs instead would work..

Trucker111 said:
I haven't been doing DLs since I've been putting explosive movements in its place (for football).

Here is my split, when do you think I should put them in to minimize negative effects on other days? Since I'm tall (about 6'6), with relatively short arms for my height - I've done them sumo style, which hits the legs pretty hard.. I'm going to try to switch it up though, if I can keep from sacrificing form.

Monday - Hamstring/Calves
Tuesday - Chest/Light Tris
Wed - Off
Thursday - Quads, Calves (Squat day)
Friday - Shoulders/Heavy Tris
Saturday - Back/Bis
Sun - Off
on saturday...i do my deads w/back/bis and have gud resuts
i also do deads 1st in my workout then back then bis

Deadlift fits with back. Stiff legged deads or Romanian deads are perfect for your hammy day. If you are working more hammy on your deadlift, you need someone to check your form.

You can put them where you want, but most folks tend to put them on back day.

In DC training, it is considered a back thickness exercise...and NEVER a hamstring exercise unless you do one of the aforementioned variations.

Swellin said:
Deadlift fits with back. Stiff legged deads or Romanian deads are perfect for your hammy day. If you are working more hammy on your deadlift, you need someone to check your form.

You can put them where you want, but most folks tend to put them on back day.

In DC training, it is considered a back thickness exercise...and NEVER a hamstring exercise unless you do one of the aforementioned variations.

Regardless, do you think he could go full out on deads two days after squatting? I don't think I could. If he's set on this split I maintain my recommendation.

Trucker - what exercises do you do on back/bi day?

Swellin said:
QUOTE]
I agree.. I said straight leg deadlifts, I usually call them stiff legged.. same thing though.

Insane_Man said:
Regardless, do you think he could go full out on deads two days after squatting? I don't think I could. If he's set on this split I maintain my recommendation.

Hmmm I usually change it up a good deal..

I do the t-bar style rows w/ the bar in the corner and the close-grip handle over the end, pull downs (close and wide), 1 arm rows, wide grip low rows, upright rows, pullovers..

Bi's - straight bar curls, hammer curls, rope curls, hammer strength preacher curls, db curls.. etc etc.

Not all of these are on the same day obviously.. I'll usually do three/four seperate for back, sometimes superset another in there. Like I said, I change it up weekly.

Last edited:
Insane_Man said:

I do this all the time it is no big deal.

Back