Hey bros...depression...

eastarr69

Omniscient!
This is off topic a bit, but if the mods need to move it cool, there is just more traffice here...

Anyhow, my girl has been on prescribed zoloft for almost her whole life..for depression and migraines etc...she gains weight on it etc..but she is fine as moods go...she got off them and shed 30 pounds in a month, but she is a bit edgy and very moody as well as nutso...

is there anything out there that she can take to keep the edge off and not gain her weight back...anything beside hitting the zoloft again....

thanks bro..

E

I've been married for 13 years now, and my wife has the same problem. She is on zoloft and is overweight. I would rather her be a little heavy than being depressed, which depresses me and my kids.

As far as other meds, not sure about that. I take Sam-e and it really helps me. I don't hear many bros over hear talk about Sam-e but I know a lot of people take it for an anti-depressant. It's good for the liver as well.

Good luck.

She gains weighton it? I took it and it killed my appetite and made me shit like a madman I lost weight when I was on it.

I am in the same boat as your wife brother. I was on Paxil for 5 years. At the time I was put on it, I definitely needed it as I was suffering from major league anxiety/depression. I was never told at that time how much weight(fat) that SSRIs can cause a person to gain, and thus never adjusted my diet or anything. I believe that I was actually told that it would make me lose weight of all things. Nothing could've been further from the truth. Being that the Docs didn't inform me properly, it took literally YEARS, and eventually finding these Boards, for me to understand that the Paxil was indeed the reason I was gaining so much bodyfat. Initially, I thought that I was getting old, or sedentary, or whatever. Problem is though, is that noone in my family works out exept myself, we all have desk jobs, yet I was the only one who couldn't eat whatever he wanted w/o gaining MASSIVE amounts of fat! I think that initially, I put on 40 pounds of fat(went from 190 to 230) in like 6 weeks, I shit you not! Eventually, I adjusted my diet, and took alot of the weight off. The problem was, was that the diet was so low in calories, that it made me more miserable than eating my fill, even though I was shedding pounds. I mean, we are talking bunny rabbit meals here. VERY small.

I feel for your wife. The reason I went off them was because I decided that at this point in my life, I would more readily accept being psycho and skinny, than layed back & fat. Being a skinny psycho is WAY more socially acceptable quite frankly. I went off of them about 5 months agao. Initially, you feel wired. Luckily for me though, it was an easy adjustment. I am fine now, and didn't go back to the previous mindset I was in 5 years ago, when I was initially prescribed the drug. I can eat now too.

As far as recommending something for your wife, I can't and I'm sorry. Does she have an outlet for her tension/anxiety/depression? Does she workout? If not, maybe you could get her into it. Something to occupy her thoughts & time perhaps. Of course, St. Johns Wort is said to have positive effects, but who knows. I couldn't say for sure, as I have never tried it personally. It's worth a shot though. It's right down the street at Rite-Aid if you want her to give it a try. I wish both of you luck bro.

Last edited:
Gimp said:
Hey...well how long has she been off. Alot of people, despite what drug companies state, have withdrawal symptoms from zoloft and other SSRI's.

It may be that whatever reason she was taking the zoloft for is still a problem.

Most, if not all people gain weight on any psych meds and lose it when they come off.

There is nothing I know of that she can take for moods etc..... Some like St. John's Wort, but, it may just be a placebo.

Has she been assessed for depression now that she is off?

Classic signs are...decreased sleep, especially early morning wakening without being able to fall back asleep. Increased sleep, increased/decreased appetite. Increased/decreased weight loss (without trying). Low mood, lability of mood (quick mood swings) and usually feelings of guilt, rumination on past events and anhedonia (inabilty to experience happy feelings)

Good insight so far bros...

she has not been assessed yet...she goes to the doc in a week...she also gets bad migraines...she has a bad time sleeping also, and she wont eat...she has no appetite..she eats because i tell her to and generally only rice...she is beautiful...it kills me to see her like this...

she says that there is no problem with us, she is just confused about here...

the weight issues have always bothered her, but on it, she eats and i swear it slows the metaboolism down...

Off she does not want to eat...this is driving me nuts now...and i am already dealing with her and me being on...

E

Has she tried Serzone (nefazodone hydrochloride)?

I found this to lower my weight and help depression, I took it for three years. The funny thing is I have been able to stay off of it after starting steroid cycles.

I hesitate to recommend going off a prescription drug to try St. John's Wort, but since she has gone off zoloft before without major problems it may be worth a shot.

There is no way that SJW is as strong as prescription meds, but it did help me out.

I initially took it as an attempt to deal with insomnia, which I have suffered from interrmittently for as long as I can remember. I took all 3 caps before bed. It worked quite well and didn't leave me with a "hangover" like many other sleeping aids do.

As a bonus, it really helped with the work related anxiety I had at the time. I am a litigation attorney and back then the stress/anxiety was at times bad enough to cause inability to eat, upset stomach, irritable bowel, and surely contributed to my insomnia. I would lay awake at night thinking about how I was going to save so-and-so's ass.

Life is less stressful now than it was then and I've got a lot more confident in my ability to save people's asses. A few months ago I decided to stop the SJW in part because I was concerned it might reduce the gains from my cycle. I noticed no difference in my gains, but I also didn't have any more trouble sleeping and had no return of the anxiety.

The good news is that the side effects are minimal, really nothing other than increased sensitivity to sunlight, you can burn more easily. It has been shown to help a lot of people with mild depression. So I would think there is little downside to trying it.

I wouldn't recomend Kava, recent studies have indicated that it is hepatoxic.

Zoloft

There are other depression type medications such as wellbutrin, remeron, prozac, etc. Zoloft is heavy duty shit. Get her to talk to her doctor about what she can take that will result in the least amount of weight gain.

Good luck...

eastarr69, not sure if this will help you much bro., but you and your wife should look into Lexapro, suposedly it's like Zoloft w/o the negative side-effects. Hope everything turns out well!

Back