how come bench presses feel like more tris and forearms being worked

mass rookie

Benching to me feels like the tris and forearms get worked more then the pecs! Am I doing somthing wrong? no matter incline or flat wide grip or narrow feels like more in the arms then pecs! :(

just stick with it. My brother had the same problem when he first started out. Or you can just do the bottom part of then bench and not go too lock out. Try pre-exhuasting your chest

Yea, like Beat said, partial reps are good to take the tris out of the equasion. The tris kick in about 1/2 way up so come up 1/2 way, then do a full rep for 1, come up 1/2 then do a full rep for 2, ect. You won't get 10 out with your usual weight but you will feel the pecs more. Also, maybe take a wider grip, benching too close almost totally isolates the tris
AngerOut

^ what he said. I like to move my grip around from slighty inward to a wide grip to vary the way I hit my chest.

hmm, try benching this way....

Lay down flat on the bench. Pull your legs as far back close to your head as possible, this will allow for a good arche. Now pull your posterior delts onto the bench, arche your back and stabalize with your lats. Now come down to your lower chest, approximately your sternum, breathe deep, and exhale and explode off your chest. Make sure your elbows are IN, not out. ery important.

Remember, a big bench doesnt mean a big chest. In order for a big becnch, you need a good back, strong triceps, and strong shoulders, and of course, strong chest.

grafix-gnc said:
hmm, try benching this way....

Lay down flat on the bench. Pull your legs as far back close to your head as possible, this will allow for a good arche. Now pull your posterior delts onto the bench, arche your back and stabalize with your lats. Now come down to your lower chest, approximately your sternum, breathe deep, and exhale and explode off your chest. Make sure your elbows are IN, not out. ery important.

Remember, a big bench doesnt mean a big chest. In order for a big becnch, you need a good back, strong triceps, and strong shoulders, and of course, strong chest.

thats right...besides, most of the bench is the tris...imo...and back, lats etc...

and even on dumbells you are going to be hitting the tris, unless you damn near do flies...

i use the above method for traing on bench...and IN on the elbows are a must...try doing your normal weight you do while trainig, and bring the elbows in on it, i bet the weight moves better for you...i found it did for me, but i had to hammer the tris to help get that bench up...and for some reason, deads helped also....

E

like they said above, pull your elbows in. i posted on this page on a dudes thread about "my pecs wont grow"

i disagree with arching your back though. that will make your bench go up in weight instantly, but it wont help you grow. it just gives you more leverage and shortens the distance you press. good for competition, but dont do it when working out. my opinion anyway

if your a powerlifter, you do ti when you train, you want it to feel as natural as possible and get used tot he motion when competition time comes.

grafix-gnc said:
if your a powerlifter, you do ti when you train, you want it to feel as natural as possible and get used tot he motion when competition time comes.

good point, but i get the feeling this kid is new to training in general, and definitly not a pl.

maybe you need emphasis on your triceps and forarms for 6 weeks . i also agree that eventually the triceps will not be lacking , keep hitting the bench but dont try to max out each time or you'll hit the wall and start spinning your wheels .

I read that Serge Nubret relied on bench presses for his tricep development, and only worked them directly near contest time. He had outstanding tris. Keep benching.

mass rookiee said:
If the bench is a tri exercise, then other than flyes what exercise builds your pecs?

any press will build your tris
flyes are good.
incline press tends to not use the tris as much (for me)

dips, leanin far forward.

Back