how do AAS affect gut flora?

clman8585

bro im like 3% bf i swear
Either negative or positively. I have never seen this subject discussed. I always feel different down in that region while on cycle.

Either negative or positively. I have never seen this subject discussed. I always feel different down in that region while on cycle.

i have no experience with this subject, however i do take digestive enzymes and probiotics... i doubt AAS would have a negative impact

Last edited by a moderator:
Steroid hormones do alter meta-bolic pathways of pathogenic & microbiota bacteria within the gut flora.
Whether this is a good or bad thing depends on what part of the gut flora we're talking about & what steroids (test is a immunesuppressor, estradiol activates the immune response, etc).

Feeling different in that region could be your gut bacteria simply working hard to get rid of anything that it considers to be polluting your body.
I don't think steroids damage the gut flora but the fillers/caps/non-sterilized equipment used by labs may be another issue.

If it worries you then supplementing with pre & pro biotics should help.

because we my friend are obviously not as smart as say.....you. I DID know to some degree...never heard of it called flora...

I thought maybe he ate watermelon seeds and had a plant growing in there like my mamma told me would happen lol

Flora is basically any plant or bacteria. It is interesting that a large minority of the biologics in the intestines are actually fungi, which used to be classified as flora but have been reclassified as heterotrophs. Since the term intestinal flora has been used for so long and most of the biologics living in our intestines are bacteria (most of which die when exposed to air, interestingly enough) the name has stuck and most likely will never be changed even though it is not quite correct.

Another interesting aside is that the bacteria that CAN live when exposed to air are in an oxygen poor environment, they cause fermentation instead of acting how normal cells do (use oxygen to create energy). This fermentation leads to gas buildup in the intestines which, obviously is expressed as nasty farts.

But to directly answer the OP, I have found no information that says any injectable steroids cause damage to the intestinal flora. I have found anectodal (non-tested or proven, but quite possibly true anyway) evidence that shows taking steroid pills causes damage due to the other items contained in the pills. Basically what Mrrippedzilla said. As chicago712 said, taking probiotics can only help...even if there is no harm being done. There are many side effects and diseases that can happen when the good bacteria is killed off in the body and some of the bad bacteria start to take over (the most common side effect is horrible gas), so if you are worried, just pop some probiotics and let the worry vanish.

It is a great question and gave me a topic to research today. I love research, it makes me happy...yes, I am strange that way. :)

Last edited:
Kefir and raw milk for me. I'm hypo thyroid and it tends to cause problems with the production of stomach acid. It is painful when I switch to a leto diet and my body hasn't adjusted yet. I'm into day 3 and fee like I have an obstructed bowel. Great topic you should look into the work done by Dr Natasha Campbell Mcbride.

Flora is basically any plant or bacteria. It is interesting that a large minority of the biologics in the intestines are actually fungi, which used to be classified as flora but have been reclassified as heterotrophs. Since the term intestinal flora has been used for so long and most of the biologics living in our intestines are bacteria (most of which die when exposed to air, interestingly enough) the name has stuck and most likely will never be changed even though it is not quite correct.

Another interesting aside is that the bacteria that CAN live when exposed to air are in an oxygen poor environment, they cause fermentation instead of acting how normal cells do (use oxygen to create energy). This fermentation leads to gas buildup in the intestines which, obviously is expressed as nasty farts.

But to directly answer the OP, I have found no information that says any injectable steroids cause damage to the intestinal flora. I have found anectodal (non-tested or proven, but quite possibly true anyway) evidence that shows taking steroid pills causes damage due to the other items contained in the pills. Basically what Mrrippedzilla said. As chicago712 said, taking probiotics can only help...even if there is no harm being done. There are many side effects and diseases that can happen when the good bacteria is killed off in the body and some of the bad bacteria start to take over (the most common side effect is horrible gas), so if you are worried, just pop some probiotics and let the worry vanish.

It is a great question and gave me a topic to research today. I love research, it makes me happy...yes, I am strange that way. :)
Spot on answer here. Well said.

Back