Hurricanes win 10-9 on walk-off HR

Foggy Doggy

Coral Gables, Fla. - Freshman Ryan Braun hit two home runs, including a game-winning blast in the bottom of the ninth inning, to lead the Miami Hurricanes to a come-from-behind 10-9 victory over the Wolfpack of North Carolina State Saturday afternoon in the first game of a three-game series in NCAA Baseball Super Regional Tournament action at Mark Light Field on the campus of the University of Miami.

The best-of-three series continues Sunday afternoon at Mark Light Field with a contest slated to begin at 2:35 p.m. Eastern time. Game three of the series, if needed, is slated for a 1:05 p.m. ET start Monday.

A crowd of 3,750 looked on as Braun, hitting with two outs in the bottom of the ninth, broke a 9-9 deadlock when he smashed a 1-0 pitch high over the left field fence to give the Hurricanes the victory. The home run capped a comeback by the Hurricanes, who trailed by as much as six runs at 9-3 in the sixth inning. Braun's game-winning shot was his team-best 12th game-winning hit of the season and gave the Hurricanes an all-important edge in the series whose winner advances to the College World Series.

The victory marked the first time this season that Miami has won when trailing after six innings. The Hurricanes were previously 0-11 when trailing in the late innings. The comeback tied the biggest of the season for the Hurricanes, who trailed Georgia Tech 10-4 in the second inning on March 30 at Mark Light Field.

Miami relief pitcher Shaun Valdes-Fauli (4-0) picked up the victory by working a scoreless ninth, allowing two hits and striking out one. Joey Devine (6-3) took the loss for N.C. State, working one and a third innings and allowing only one hit and one run. The blast by Braun was the freshman's 18th of the season.

The Wolfpack had built a 9-3 lead heading into the bottom half of the sixth inning by erasing an early 3-0 Miami advantage. The Hurricanes had taken the 3-0 lead in Miami's half of the first on Braun's first home run blast, a three-run shot to left that scored Danny Figueroa and Adam Ricks.

N.C. State struck back with two runs in the third. Matt Camp reached on an infield single and scored when Justin Riley was safe on a throwing error by Braun. One hitter later, Matt Orvella scored on a fielder's choice by Colt Morton. The Wolfpack tied it in the fifth when Orvella, who had reached base on a walk, advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored on a single to center by Morton.

The Wolfpack exploded for six runs in the sixth to take a 9-3 lead. Camp gave N.C. State a 5-3 lead with a two-run single to center and Justin Riley blasted a grand slam home run (his 18th of the season) to left for a 9-3 advantage.

Miami responded immediately with five runs in the bottom half of the sixth. Gaby Sanchez popped a three-run home run to score Ricks and Braun, then Eric San Pedro doubled down the left field line to score Joey Hooft, who had walked, to trim the N.C. State lead to 9-7. Danny Figueroa singled to score San Pedro to make it 9-8.

The Hurricanes tied it in the eighth. Sanchez doubled to center field and was moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Hooft. Sanchez scored to tie it on a sacrifice fly to right by San Pedro, setting up the final frame.

Ryan Braun second home run of the day was the game-winner in the bottom of the ninth inning.

Foggy did you watch the game....You know i turned it off around the 7th inning.......I like State though....BTW did you watch the ACC Tournament a couple of weeks ago.....It was awesome GT beat FSU in the 9th......I suppose you are picking Miami to win in Omaha???

grafix-gnc said:
All i can say is LSU Baby!
Great win for the Tigers today.....by the way, you can thank the U of Miami for all of your success. Skip Bertman was a Hurricane baseball player 1959-62 and Assistant Head Coach 1967-84. :D He learned his trade at the U of Miami from The Wizard of College Baseball, Ron Frazer (UM Head Coach 1962-92)

Brett_Weir said:
Foggy did you watch the game....You know i turned it off around the 7th inning.......I like State though....BTW did you watch the ACC Tournament a couple of weeks ago.....It was awesome GT beat FSU in the 9th......I suppose you are picking Miami to win in Omaha???
Anytime, ANYONE beats F$U in a sport it makes me happy except if its the Florida GayTurds :D

Foggy Doggy said:
Great win for the Tigers today.....by the way, you can thank the U of Miami for all of your success. Skip Bertman was a Hurricane baseball player 1959-62 and Assistant Head Coach 1967-84. :D He learned his trade at the U of Miami from The Wizard of College Baseball, Ron Frazer (UM Head Coach 1962-92)

freakin Florida people. When i was younger i went to Skip's baseball camps, the man is great, terrific guy.

I read in the news something about Miami becoming part of the ACC....Any truth to that.....They are conference USA with Notre Dame and East Carolina, Louisville right???

Brett_Weir said:
I read in the news something about Miami becoming part of the ACC....Any truth to that.....They are conference USA with Notre Dame and East Carolina, Louisville right???
They are in the Big East, but the Big East is not a TRUE conference.....it is a loose organization with separate membership in football, baseball and basketball. Some members play basketball but don't have football, Miami for instance is an independant in baseball, much as Notre Dame is in football....no conference. So going to the ACC as a full member is great news. It is still not a done deal but it's just a mere formality at this point.

The SEC is definitely in there in both men and womens sports....The SEC WEST and East........................

grafix-gnc said:
but we all know that the SEC is king.
Bwahahahaha ! Yeah riiiiiiiiiiiight..........now lets see, when was the last SEC national Champ in baseball or football ? Hmmmmmmmmm looks like Miami has won one of each since then (Miami baseball national Champs 2001 and Football National Champs 2001 :D :D :D :D) SEC won the football in 1997 and Baseball in 2000.....seem to be having a drought bro :D Even the Big East has played for the football NC 4 times since you even had one.

The SEC fools everyone because they have big stadiums full of people. That doesn't constitute being the best on the field. Not even close.

Oh by the way last year Miami won AT Tennessee 26-3 and AT Florida 41-16....not bad for a weak team from a weak conference LOL.

Brett_Weir said:
The SEC is definitely in there in both men and womens sports....The SEC WEST and East........................
I think they are a lot of smoke and mirrors.....LSU does have a chance this year in baseball though.

Foggy, i am thinking of the entire athletic program......The SEC has a strong fan support and there is no doubt.......The ACC does as well...Spend a Saturday in Death Valley at Clemson or any ACC home game.....Academically the ACC is strongest but Vanderbilt is as good as any.....Having great sports is not the be all end all....I went to Emory and they rank in the top ten every year and year end year out, but that is in Academic Disciplines...

Foggy Doggy said:
Bwahahahaha ! Yeah riiiiiiiiiiiight..........now lets see, when was the last SEC national Champ in baseball or football ? Hmmmmmmmmm looks like Miami has won one of each since then (Miami baseball national Champs 2001 and Football National Champs 2001 :D :D :D :D) SEC won the football in 1997 and Baseball in 2000.....seem to be having a drought bro :D Even the Big East has played for the football NC 4 times since you even had one.

The SEC fools everyone because they have big stadiums full of people. That doesn't constitute being the best on the field. Not even close.

Oh by the way last year Miami won AT Tennessee 26-3 and AT Florida 41-16....not bad for a weak team from a weak conference LOL.
hmmm ever hear of a guy called bear bryant , the yankees and the westerners dont like it but sport for sport men/women over the years the sec kicks ass:cool:

Brett_Weir said:
Foggy, i am thinking of the entire athletic program......The SEC has a strong fan support and there is no doubt.......The ACC does as well...Spend a Saturday in Death Valley at Clemson or any ACC home game.....Academically the ACC is strongest but Vanderbilt is as good as any.....Having great sports is not the be all end all....I went to Emory and they rank in the top ten every year and year end year out, but that is in Academic Disciplines...
This is also one of the reasons Miami is leaning towards joining the ACC...the academic association with schools like Duke, UVa and Wake Forest...Miami is a small private school with high academic standards (takes a 1350 on the SAT to even apply).

DADAWG said:
hmmm ever hear of a guy called bear bryant , the yankees and the westerners dont like it but sport for sport men/women over the years the sec kicks ass:cool:
Ancient history....and with that Bear Bryant was a racist.....he didn't allow any blacks on his team until he was forced to in 1970. Miami on the other hand was the FIRST school in the Deep South to have black players, starting in 1960. :D

DADAWG said:
Oh by the way....the Pac-8/10 can claim WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more national championships in ALL sports than almost all the other conferences put together ;)

Not to say the SEC doesn't and hasn't had some good players and teams, but best conference.......no way, not even close. As said before, big crowds, big stadiums and lots of $$$ don't mean anything unless you prove it on the field, and for all the hype and hulabaloo the SEC hasn't done a whole heck of a lot for all the $$$ spent, especially the last few years.

foggy, it has certainly changed at Bama......Another reason they have not raced back to the top is all the NCAA violations and sanctions placed upon them, whch is their own fault....

BTW my best friend went to Miami and it is tops all the way around, especially academically....

Back