I broke 200 on my bench!

bigjay00

let me start off by saying my dream (realistic) max is 225. i usually do 180 in the gym.....

today i decided to max out, i got all the way to 205! i tried 215 after that but it ended up being to much, couldn't bring it all the way down so i did not count it

now it might not be a big deal to the monsters on the board, but it feels good for me, just thought i would share

When I first started out, I never thought I would hit 200. Then it came and went then 300 was unreachable. I hit 300 last summer, but I have never really tried a max bench since. I really don't like to bench press at all. Dumbells and Hammer Strength make up the bulk of my chest routine.

i been trying to do 315 for the longest time and i have 20 pounds left on it.

I remeber when i was 16 and did 205 for the first time i was so happy. The weight just gets easier. Intill u hit 275 and u plateau

I haven't tried to max out for years but I can press 330 on my fourth set for 6 reps. What would a reasonable estimate be for a 1RM?

well what i would do is this:

usually people lift 80% their 1rm

just add 20% it should be about that

thanks. i figured i will physc my self out and figure my max next time in 6 months, hows that time frame sound?

I remember when I did 200 for the first time. I remember my max when I started that year was 155 and at the end of the summer 3 months later I did 200! I was really happy.

Then last week I did 225 for 15, probably could have gotten a lot more but I saved my energy for the next 2 sets.

"Congratulations!!! Keep at it. Just do it right and be careful!!" Ditto. I don't do BP anymore bec of pushing it - real stupid. Doc said pray every morn and thank God I can lift my arm. BS, I am lifting hard and gettin ggood results now. Just no BP.

BARRIERS, BARRIERS, BARRIERS! Sucks eh?! It's always the extra #45 plate, or a round number for me. First it was #225(2 plates/side). Then #300(round number). Then #315(3 plates). Now it's #405. I'm still waiting to hit that one. My best is #375 for a triple. Funny that I trained my ass off on triples, because at 80% of your 1RM, that is supposed to be the ideal weight to add strength. Turns out though, that my TRIPLES got alot stronger, but I could do singles for shit. STILL though, a guy who can get #375 for 3 should surely be able to squeeze a single rep out of 4 plates I think. So goes them BARRIERS though eh?! This one is more than likely mental. At #195lbs., and around 9% BF I think my flat bench poundages are quite respectable though. Still..I want #405!:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
SkedMedz said:
BARRIERS, BARRIERS, BARRIERS! Sucks eh?! It's always the extra #45 plate, or a round number for me. First it was #225(2 plates/side). Then #300(round number). Then #315(3 plates). Now it's #405. I'm still waiting to hit that one. My best is #375 for a triple. Funny that I trained my ass off on triples, because at 80% of your 1RM, that is supposed to be the ideal weight to add strength. Turns out though, that my TRIPLES got alot stronger, but I could do singles for shit. STILL though, a guy who can get #375 for 3 should surely be able to squeeze a single rep out of 4 plates I think. So goes them BARRIERS though eh?! This one is more than likely mental. At #195lbs., and around 9% BF I think my flat bench poundages are quite respectable though. Still..I want #405!:D:D:D:D
It's all about making goals in life bro. 315 is my DREAM bench! right now im about 195 about 14% bf, trying to cut down. I'm going to be increasing intesity with my shoulders/lats/tris for the next six months and see how it goes, of course, i will be careful :)

Back