I need some advice on my work out routine

camaro19781000

Chingon Rookie
I need some help bulking up I sarted doing alot of research on workouts and which ones worked better and what not to do and ect..So I made my own routine and this is what I came up with, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks(bulking routine 4 days a week)all exercises are as follows:
4set10x 1 moderate, 3 heavy 60 sec rest in between each one.

Monday-Chest and triceps
flat bench press
Inc Bench press
barbell flat tri ext
pull downs
cable one arm tri ext
dbell inc tri ext
dbell flat tri ext
ezbar inc tri ext
around the worlds
decline bench
incline bench
cross overs
dbell fly
push ups at the end 4 set 10x

Tuesday-Back bi's and some forearm
Wide grip lat pulldown
inc dbell curl
alt hammer curl
cable seated row
cable lateral raise
Middle back shrugs
v bar pull downs
seated one arm dbell palms up wrist curls
seated one arm dbell palms down wrist
bar drag curl
bar curl
dbell curls
dbell preacher curls
dbell hammer preacher curls
ezbar curls wide
ez bar curls close

WED- Shoulders
6am cardio run 1 mile
elptical 30mins
bike 2 miles
-weight training
bar shrug
bar shrugs behing back
cable shrugs
cable up right row
dbell arnold press
dbell cuban press
dbell front raise
dbell rear delt row
dbell shoulder press
standing military

Thursday-abs 4 sets 8x legs
Oblique crunches
leg raise
air bike
alt heel touchers
bent press
cable crunch
torso rotation
side bends
-legs
one leg kickback
pull through
glute kickback
calf press
reverse calf press
dumbell squat
frankenstien squat
leg extentions
leg press
flat leg curls

writing it down seem like alot this time
is this overkill??its a bulking routine
I read cardio kills you weight training if done in excess thats why so little cardio, abs i usally dont finish all of them i stop at the cable crunches and continue with legs.

I read cardio kills you weight training if done in excess thats why so little cardio, abs i usally dont finish all of them i stop at the cable crunches and continue with legs.

First - it's BEYOND overkill. It might be one of the most ridiculous routines I've seen in a while (no offense). Bulking happens with diet. A routine with that much volume is inefficient and ineffective.

Cardio - don't ignore this when bulking. As your body packs on the lbs, you need to make sure your heart is adapting to the change too. Lift before cardio, but definitely do cardio on an off day or after lifting.

ok so should i just do less number of work outs?? along with cardio right before or hours before weight training and every day?? thanks in advanced

wow. that's way too many, bro.

want to bulk? want to grow? want mass? want strength? keep it simple and basic. focus on compound movements.

when you hit a sticking point, then add in some accessory works then move on.

never ever sacrifice form for more pounds.

now, when you want to try other exercises like you want skullcrushers and cg bench for triceps, interchange it per week.

for example
first week, your triceps workout consists of dips and pushdowns and extensions. that's it. don't add in the skulls and cg bench. do then next week. so then, your next week's triceps workout would be skulls and cg bench only.

i know it's quite tempting to be doing a lot of exercises in one go for who knows what reason for, but in the long run, you'd just be stuck forever.

edit: cardio does not kill gains. wherever that came from, it's totally taken out of context and forever misunderstood.

if you're going to bulk, do it slowly. not in one go. with such, you'll gain more quality muscle and strength, fat is inevitable, but when bulking is done slowly, the ratio between fat and muscle won't be too far off from each other

Last edited:
I need some help bulking up I sarted doing alot of research on workouts and which ones worked better and what not to do and ect..So I made my own routine and this is what I came up with, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, Thanks(bulking routine 4 days a week)all exercises are as follows:
4set10x 1 moderate, 3 heavy 60 sec rest in between each one.

Monday-Chest and triceps
flat bench press
Inc Bench press
barbell flat tri ext
pull downs
cable one arm tri ext
dbell inc tri ext
dbell flat tri ext
ezbar inc tri ext
around the worlds
decline bench
incline bench
cross overs
dbell fly
push ups at the end 4 set 10x

Tuesday-Back bi's and some forearm
Wide grip lat pulldown
inc dbell curl
alt hammer curl
cable seated row
cable lateral raise
Middle back shrugs
v bar pull downs
seated one arm dbell palms up wrist curls
seated one arm dbell palms down wrist
bar drag curl
bar curl
dbell curls
dbell preacher curls
dbell hammer preacher curls
ezbar curls wide
ez bar curls close

WED- Shoulders
6am cardio run 1 mile
elptical 30mins
bike 2 miles
-weight training
bar shrug
bar shrugs behing back
cable shrugs
cable up right row
dbell arnold press
dbell cuban press
dbell front raise
dbell rear delt row
dbell shoulder press
standing military

Thursday-abs 4 sets 8x legs
Oblique crunches
leg raise
air bike
alt heel touchers
bent press
cable crunch
torso rotation
side bends
-legs
one leg kickback
pull through
glute kickback
calf press
reverse calf press
dumbell squat
frankenstien squat
leg extentions
leg press
flat leg curls

WOW, you could split each day into 4 workouts. You joints must hate you....

Last edited:
haha shock. That's for sure.

OP - What are your goals and current stats? We can offer some constructive criticism once we have a bit more info.

Im looking to bulk up gain mass, and strength..Im 6'1" 270lbs so im pretty big already so i just want to turn it into muscle, ive lowered the number of workouts and jack up the weight, i still do 4 sets 1moderate 3heavy,

ex. briceps and back
curls
lat pulldowns
v bar pulldowns
hammer curls
dbell preacher curls
barbell preacher curls
and finally
seated row

Dude, that's way overtraining! It's definitely holding you back at this amount! You've put a lot of research into specific exercises, but you should look at guidelines as well. Stick to 3 exercises per bodypart a day, and as the guys above said, stick to the compounds, which will give you the most results. You should be in the gym also no longer than 45m-1hr a day.

Also, another KEY advice I would give you is to space your workouts. Try to leave a day in between workouts and don't train more than two days in a row - you only grow when recovering.

Hope this helps!

Im looking to bulk up gain mass, and strength..Im 6'1" 270lbs so im pretty big already so i just want to turn it into muscle, ive lowered the number of workouts and jack up the weight, i still do 4 sets 1moderate 3heavy,

ex. briceps and back
curls
lat pulldowns
v bar pulldowns
hammer curls
dbell preacher curls
barbell preacher curls
and finally
seated row

Still doing too much. Also, you don't have 3 heavy sets in there. You have NONE. How do I know? Cuz you have the energy to do '3 heavy." Means you're not pushing yourself hard enough.

Also, you don't need all that bicep curl bullshit.

It sounds like you're just starting to work out?

I would check out "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. If you've been working out for a little bit already, then look up my previous post history and find the "Bill Starr 5x5" link I've been passing around.

Back