If i were to acsidently inject into a vein

GOON

what is the best thing to do call an ambulance, i really have no clue but it is a good thing to no?

Usually you will know when you hit one. I was told that when you hit a vein you sometimes get a funny taste in your mouth. Has anyone else heard this?

vauto said:
Usually you will know when you hit one. I was told that when you hit a vein you sometimes get a funny taste in your mouth. Has anyone else heard this?
you are way more likely to push the needle through a vein than actually inject in a vein , most of the panic cases you see on the net are people who bleed excessively when they remove the needle and they assume they injected into the vein but usually the needle passed through the vein and when you withdraw the needle it bleeds and they panic

vauto said:

I get that with my b12 injection. Never with gear.

You wanna know what happens if you inject oil into the vein-nothing. Nothing at all. Its always a good idea to aspirate, but die from oil emboli, not a chance. I say this as a medical professional who specializes in this field. I rule out clot in the vascular system all the time, I routinely inject several cc's of air into the veins as well to determine cardiac anatomy. Nothing happens, nothing is ever going to happen.The truth is that small emboli go to the lungs all the time and nothing happens. Sure if a big clot broke off from a DVT you could die, but those things are pretty damn big, some day Ill post pictures of some my interesting cases. I have numerous posts about this topic on another board. I mainly specialize in the heart though and youre Rt ventricle isnt going to blow out b/c of this either. Again a large Pulmonary embolism will cause volume overload, but a cc of oil or two, no way.

luciasbrown said:
You wanna know what happens if you inject oil into the vein-nothing. Nothing at all. Its always a good idea to aspirate, but die from oil emboli, not a chance. I say this as a medical professional who specializes in this field. I rule out clot in the vascular system all the time, I routinely inject several cc's of air into the veins as well to determine cardiac anatomy. Nothing happens, nothing is ever going to happen.The truth is that small emboli go to the lungs all the time and nothing happens. Sure if a big clot broke off from a DVT you could die, but those things are pretty damn big, some day Ill post pictures of some my interesting cases. I have numerous posts about this topic on another board. I mainly specialize in the heart though and youre Rt ventricle isnt going to blow out b/c of this either. Again a large Pulmonary embolism will cause volume overload, but a cc of oil or two, no way.

awesome post. I'd love to see those pictures if you don't mind posting them. Thanks for the info

ive only been in a vien once when i aspirate, most of the time the only reason that you bleed is b/c you pass through a vien

Lonewolf said:
awesome post. I'd love to see those pictures if you don't mind posting them. Thanks for the info

Ill work on it, the problem is that the images I have the patients name is on the screen or films so I have to figure out to block that before I post them or else I get sued big time. But I post on alot of these topics so Im going to working on getting visuals to help explain. Its always easier to see it. I just did a patient that came in the Er with a clot that went to his lungs. I believe he was 44 and he died. Its a pretty classic case, but they usually die before we can see it.

Last edited:
What about Milos Sarcev? Did'nt he almost die from a 3 cc shot of Synthol in a vein. He was doing a tricep shot, actually his wife was giving the shot.

Excerpt of Milo's statements:

<<The site being injected was the triceps, but the needle inadvertently went straight into a vein. Almost instantly, I fell to the ground feeling the most pain I have ever felt in my life. I can only describe it as lightning striking me in the chest. For 30 seconds, I couldn't breathe. I thought I was going to die. I was later told that the oil had gone into my heart and lungs, and that I had gone into respiratory shock.

<<Eventually, I was able to breathe again, but it was labored and very painful.
I was so weak I lay on the floor for two hours, unable to call 911. I finally crawled to the phone, called 911 and was rushed into intensive care. The doctors diagnosed that I had congestive heart failure, my vital signs were weak and my family was told I had only a 50-50 chance of survival.

<<For 24 hours, my life hung in the balance; then my vital signs began to get stronger. I was in intensive care for three days, and when I came out of the hospital I was totally exhausted and had lost 20 pounds.

<<I saw the doctor three weeks later and he told me I could begin training, but I still don't know whether I can compete again. Whether I do or not, I will never use Synthol again. It nearly killed me.>>

THE injection was actually given by his wife but the story has been changed to protector from any legal actions.

These events occurred in July, and although Milos was telling friends at the Y2K NPC USA in Las Vegas that he was O. K., his preparation for the Mr. O had definitely been derailed.

The IFBB has added Synthol to its banned-substance list and is investigating the means by which a test can be formulated to detect its use.

That just doesnt make sense, he was told he had congestive heart failure. That effects the left side to the heart. A pulmonary embolus effects the lungs and backs up into the rt heart. And who knows what synthol does to the lungs anyway, I mean its injected to cause swelling of the muscle that its injected into, what will that do to the lungs I have no idea, also and who knows if he is being completely forthright with all the details after all what vein in the tricep is big enough to accept a 3cc bolus without collapsing first. It just doesnt pass the sniff test. Ill humbly apologize if Im wrong- if anyone can find in any research or case studies where someone died or was injured by an oil embolism, I certainly havent found any and it doesnt jive with my real world experience or my education. As I said before its not a bad idea to aspirate, but to worry about dying from hitting a vein, No way. Its like the BS that someone died from shooting an air bubble up his arm. We have all heard that one right, impossible unless its like 100cc or something crazy. I think alot people honestly believe that is possible and continue to repeat it with realistic and colorful stories of someone having this happen to boot. It has no basis in reality and I inject air into peoples veins all the time. So bottom line, aspirate so you dont waste your gear, but dont worry and dont call 911.

luciasbrown said:
That just doesnt make sense, he was told he had congestive heart failure. That effects the left side to the heart. A pulmonary embolus effects the lungs and backs up into the rt heart. And who knows what synthol does to the lungs anyway, I mean its injected to cause swelling of the muscle that its injected into, what will that do to the lungs I have no idea, also and who knows if he is being completely forthright with all the details after all what vein in the tricep is big enough to accept a 3cc bolus without collapsing first. It just doesnt pass the sniff test. Ill humbly apologize if Im wrong- if anyone can find in any research or case studies where someone died or was injured by an oil embolism, I certainly havent found any and it doesnt jive with my real world experience or my education. As I said before its not a bad idea to aspirate, but to worry about dying from hitting a vein, No way. Its like the BS that someone died from shooting an air bubble up his arm. We have all heard that one right, impossible unless its like 100cc or something crazy. I think alot people honestly believe that is possible and continue to repeat it with realistic and colorful stories of someone having this happen to boot. It has no basis in reality and I inject air into peoples veins all the time. So bottom line, aspirate so you dont waste your gear, but dont worry and dont call 911.
bro i dont want to get him in trouble but a vet friend of mine got a call at the end of the day but it turns out the cow was to far gone to save but he was out of the meds he needed on his truck so he tried to put it out of its misery [ broken leg ] by injecting air into a vein he used syringe after syringe and nothing so he had to go back to the office for the meds

luciasbrown said:
Ill work on it, the problem is that the images I have the patients name is on the screen or films so I have to figure out to block that before I post them or else I get sued big time. But I post on alot of these topics so Im going to working on getting visuals to help explain. Its always easier to see it. I just did a patient that came in the Er with a clot that went to his lungs. I believe he was 44 and he died. Its a pretty classic case, but they usually die before we can see it.

If you send the file to me(i'm a mod on another board) or maybe a mod on this board, we'd be happy to block out all personal information and post it up. lemme know

DADAWG said:
bro i dont want to get him in trouble but a vet friend of mine got a call at the end of the day but it turns out the cow was to far gone to save but he was out of the meds he needed on his truck so he tried to put it out of its misery [ broken leg ] by injecting air into a vein he used syringe after syringe and nothing so he had to go back to the office for the meds

Thanks, thats what Im talking about. Ive done echocardiograms on patients that tried to kill themselves by injecting air into their veins, they were still kicking with no obvious damage. I feel I should revise the oil embolism position. Although I am still of the opinion that absolutely nothing will happen to a person, common sense should apply so dont go injecting 5cc of oil into your vein to test out the theory. I dont think its possible to accidentally put that much into a superficial vein anyway. A deep vein yes, so stay away from the inner thigh b/c the common femoral and the saphenous vein run there. Also dont inject into the calf b/c that is dangerous b/c of the unique anatomy and vascular physiology can lead to clot. (the clot can grow and then go to the lungs and really kill you):afro: All this can pretty complicated and hard to keep from being wordy so any particular questions anyon has just find me on the board or pm me I dont mind answering specific questions. Sometimes for the sake of brevity I leave out alot of the big picture in these posts.

Lonewolf said:
If you send the file to me(i'm a mod on another board) or maybe a mod on this board, we'd be happy to block out all personal information and post it up. lemme know

No that wont work, they just passed patient privacy laws in Washington called HIPAA. Pretty brutal like 100,000$ fines and jail time if patient info got out. The hospitals I rotate between have had massive education and a zero tolerance policy on this. Everything with pt info or name goes into a shred bin. I just cant risk it I'll see what I can do.

Back