Is 2 SETS per excersise enough?

shainesboostin

So, if I am on a "Muscle a day" split, so I am hitting each muscle with multiple excersises, is 2 sets for some enough? I know this is a beat to death subject. Some say you need ATLEAST 3 sets per excersise, some say for bodybuilding/hypertrophy do 4+ and on the opposite side, such as Dorian Yates, advocate 1-2 sets per excersise balls to the wall is enough....

For example-

CHEST DAY:

Bench 3x8
Decline 2x8
DB Incline 2X8-12

Flies 4X8-12

Would the Decline and Incline be wasted with only 2 sets?

It really depends on a lot of things, and there's no one size fits all answer. If you feel you've done enough after two sets, then okay. If you do it for a while and see progress, then it works for you. If you see no progress, you probably need more volume.

IMO If you go the route of 2 sets you could throw in another exercise or two into that, but you might also want to consider adding some form of periodization in your training, IE
do 2 sets one week, adding in a couple of sets each workout for the next couple weeks, then dropping back down to 2 sets.

If you can go INTENSE on those 2 sets then yes. However, that's not an easy thing to do sometimes. It's mental as was. That's where the challenge comes in. You'll be surprised how much more you can do with tunnel vision locked in.

Its possible but depends on a lot of factors... I personally fell like I NEED at least 3 but typically do 4. A system that really helped change it up for me is the method where you choose a weight you can do 15 reps with it but only do 10. 4 sets of 10 reps with 30seconds or less between sets. If you get them all on the last one throw in a drop set to burnout and up the weight on the next time you do that muscle group. This method has worked wonders for me.

I also make sure I am getting 3 varieties of exercise types for each group... midrange lift, stretch lift and contracted lift.

remember that Dorian is a FREAK and that most of us don't have his genetics or mental drive. If your going to do just 2 sets, push them to failure, get a buddy and make sure that they are intense

the difference between flat, incline and decline bench is the amount of weight you can push. period. your pectoral muscle is one muscle, there is no upper, middle and lower pec. doing decline won't make the bottom bigger than the top. the entire muscle gets hit on decline, and you can push more weight on decline so that is where i do the majority of my work. the only reason i see to hit flat a majority of the time is if you are a power lifter and are training for a meet. also pushing more weight on decline means your tris and shoulders are getting hit harder. i would say progressively warm up to your working weight, then if you can go intense enough on two setsw then that is all you need. like someone said above, you need a spotter. they can help you get some forced reps after you hit failure. also focus on tensing your body, contracting your muscles, slow negatives, pause at the bottom and explode on the concentric portion of the lift. i like to get up to my working weight on on my big lifts of the day, and fuck myself up there. the accessory lifts i'll use a moderate weight and just do two sets or so, just 2 or so exercises. maybe some cable flies. i hit shoulders and tris on chest day as well so just one big movement for them, maybe 5x5.

i think 2 sets is enough for example my chest days....... flat bench- 5x5 (slow reps), incline 2x8, cable flys, 2x10 (i switch up the sets of 2 with different exercises every month) works GREAT! u will find (i did at least) that im always adding more and more weight, every chest day one if not more of my exercises is either stronger or consists of better form

In my opinion, hell no 2 sets isn't enough. I believe in high intensity workouts. I know different things work for different people, but I've trained a lot of people in my life and this is what I found to work best for the majority. I have seen guys in the gym for 2+ years that weren't making gains and once I put them on my routine the started seeing gains and couldn't believe it. Sure, it's tough, but hard work pays off. Don't forget that without a good diet, you're wasting your time period!

I dont count, but im sure as hell 2 is not enough. lift HEAVY for 25-40min per muscle group with 2-3 styles/angles per workout. *1-2 muscle groups at a time, 1-2 times a week and only 3-4 days a week for workoing out*
works well for me.
no way its taking you 10min for one set.

if they are heavy sets it can definitely take you 5 minutes or more to recover, I don't consider two high intensity sets to be undertraining at all.
Actually i recommend it from personal experience over 5 x 5 bs for natural lifters, that how i have made most of my gains.
This is only for lifts like deads and squats and maybe bench.

I dont count, but im sure as hell 2 is not enough. lift HEAVY for 25-40min per muscle group with 2-3 styles/angles per workout. *1-2 muscle groups at a time, 1-2 times a week and only 3-4 days a week for workoing out*
works well for me.
no way its taking you 10min for one set.

2 is not enough

Back