Leg development without squats

barnzy7

rome wasnt built in a day
No squat racks in gym, I switch it up going high rep, heavy weight etc, pounding everything I can but still struggling to really get any development or big growth in legs. Any suggestions? Its not lack of strength I DL just below 600, strength is there, just not progressing how I would like.

Right now leg day consists of ham curls, calve work, leg ext, lunges, inverted leg press

I don't say this to be a dick but gym not having a rack = time to find a new gym or make one at home. That is the FIRST piece of equipment I look at when checking out a gym. Run, don't walk, away from any gym that can't see the benefit of a squat rack. You could do what they did in the old days where you could only squat what you could clean and press onto your back, get squat stands, get a new gym, make or buy a rack for home...

I don't say this to be a dick but gym not having a rack = time to find a new gym or make one at home. That is the FIRST piece of equipment I look at when checking out a gym. Run, don't walk, away from any gym that can't see the benefit of a squat rack. You could do what they did in the old days where you could only squat what you could clean and press onto your back, get squat stands, get a new gym, make or buy a rack for home...

3rd gym in the area to get rid of squat racks, the only gym that has one I left because it was $60 a month and cost me another $50 a week in gas to drive to.

all the REAL gyms closed shop and moved, live in a poverty stricken area, $9 a month gyms have taken over, and we all know what those are about

all the REAL gyms closed shop and moved, live in a poverty stricken area, $9 a month gyms have taken over, and we all know what those are about

I hear you bro and similar to me. We have a Snap fitness which is all machines and cardio I think, Planet Fitness which is all smith machines and no grunting, and the other bullshit chains. There is one powerlifting gym but it's 1hr 15min away EACH way I found a $10/month gym that was pretty decent but a new gym just opened down the road from me and I'm working the owner to get a bunch of squat racks. Sucks but my dream would be to fabricate my own rack and equipment and get some bars and plates.

Having freeweights in your home is the best, it is a kind of a huge investment but totally worth it...I spent about 1500 on everything I have so far, just need to get a heavier adjustable db set and im golden

I hear you bro and similar to me. We have a Snap fitness which is all machines and cardio I think, Planet Fitness which is all smith machines and no grunting, and the other bullshit chains. There is one powerlifting gym but it's 1hr 15min away EACH way I found a $10/month gym that was pretty decent but a new gym just opened down the road from me and I'm working the owner to get a bunch of squat racks. Sucks but my dream would be to fabricate my own rack and equipment and get some bars and plates.

You sound like me lol. I practically begged the owner to bring in more weights and squat racks..he agreed...a year later no change, so left that gym, a week after I signed up the racks were taken out. Nothing makes me more upset than to see gyms move from actual lifting of heavy weights and bodybuilding to the t-rex cables and cardio filled gyms. I mess with power cleans every once in a while as well as DB snatches. I may start adding in front squats to the movement after the clean.

Any other ideas?

Having freeweights in your home is the best, it is a kind of a huge investment but totally worth it...I spent about 1500 on everything I have so far, just need to get a heavier adjustable db set and im golden

I wish...recent college grad, working in a field i didnt go to school for. Spend too much money on my car, and trying to save for a house. for right now I cant do it...my apartment is 400sq ft if im lucky

Dang i love my gym, full of power racks, platforms, olypmic bars, landmine to put bar in to do real t-bar row convient, chalk provided, belts and dipping belts provided as well. Best part is the main gym population is older people or familes not interested in freew eights so i have free range on everyhing. Fucking love it. The only reason the yhave it is the run a parisi speed school in it.

You sound like me lol. I practically begged the owner to bring in more weights and squat racks..he agreed...a year later no change, so left that gym, a week after I signed up the racks were taken out. Nothing makes me more upset than to see gyms move from actual lifting of heavy weights and bodybuilding to the t-rex cables and cardio filled gyms. I mess with power cleans every once in a while as well as DB snatches. I may start adding in front squats to the movement after the clean.

Any other ideas?

Where do you do barbell press if you do it at all?

They have everything but power racks...and DB's only go up to 100

What I'm asking is where do you start the bar from in a barbell press if you do them? Is there no rack or set of pins to start it from sternum height? Can you use that piece of equipment to start your squat from? My gym has no power rack per se but they have this thing:

View attachment 556257

Bar starts on the incline part and I have to walk outside the rack (back behind the horizontal bars) bc when I go down into the bottom position the bar will hit. Basically I use the thing to hold the bar and I rack it. I do my squats in the wide open.

What I'm asking is where do you start the bar from in a barbell press if you do them? Is there no rack or set of pins to start it from sternum height? Can you use that piece of equipment to start your squat from? My gym has no power rack per se but they have this thing:

View attachment 556257

Bar starts on the incline part and I have to walk outside the rack (back behind the horizontal bars) bc when I go down into the bottom position the bar will hit. Basically I use the thing to hold the bar and I rack it. I do my squats in the wide open.

We dont have that, just 2 or 3 benches. the only way I could do it is to clean/press it and put it behind my back

We dont have that, just 2 or 3 benches. the only way I could do it is to clean/press it and put it behind my back

That's exactly what they did in the old days before squat/power racks. Looks like you might be getting weird looks in the future :D

That's exactly what they did in the old days before squat/power racks. Looks like you might be getting weird looks in the future :D

Im the only guy there that does any powerlifting type movements and uses chalk...I walk out of that place looking like I rolled around in a bag of coke...believe me I already get the looks. Im going to give it a try though

Im the only guy there that does any powerlifting type movements and uses chalk...I walk out of that place looking like I rolled around in a bag of coke...believe me I already get the looks. Im going to give it a try though

Obviously be careful and start low. Easy to get injured if you're reckless. Can you fabricate your own rack and squat at home? Maybe buy the squat stands (pretty cheap compared to the price of a rack) and 'donate' them to the gym lol?

Obviously be careful and start low. Easy to get injured if you're reckless. Can you fabricate your own rack and squat at home? Maybe buy the squat stands (pretty cheap compared to the price of a rack) and 'donate' them to the gym lol?

Apartment isnt big enough, I wish. I could be the weird neighbor and set it up outside haha..between the chalk all over my face and the squat rack outside...id probably get the cops called on me

I use a leg blaster sold by frank Zane. Allows me tomsquat at home with nu barbell discomfort. Best weight training tool I ever bought. My legs are shredded and !massive from it!

Wow, and I thought my gym sucked... Haha.
Gotta appreciate what you have I guess.

Dare I say it?... Smith? Better than no squats at all.

Back