Length of rest, does it matter?

Blondie_Bombshell

A study, which they published in 2005 in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, shows that your progression will be the same whether you take a 5-minute or 2-minute break.

Strength training manuals advise short rest breaks between sets. Two minutes’ rest is the maximum that the average trainer is likely to allow you. The researchers questioned how well founded this guideline actually is. So they did an experiment with a dozen men who’d all been doing weight training for an average of 6 years.

Half of the subjects first trained for three months taking 2-minute rests [SR]; the other half took 5-minute rests [LR]. When the three months were up the groups changed over: the group that had first taken 2-minute rests now took 5-minute breaks and vice versa.

The researchers detected no differences in hormonal response to strength training with 2-minute and 5-minute rests. They do note, however, that the athletes who took shorter rests produced slightly more growth hormone.

Get it --> www,fitnessparadiseworld.com <--

I usually take about 5-6 minute breaks up my main lifts such as bench, deadlifts, Leg press, shoulder press. But on the rest of my lifts like incline DBs, Leg curls and things like that its around 2-3 minutes.

i take no more than one minute inbetween all my sets. by the time im done with my workout im wiped out, and dripping sweat while everyone else is lifting and watching the game or sipping on their shakes.

My gym has no ac and I work out this way as well.
i take no more than one minute inbetween all my sets. by the time im done with my workout im wiped out, and dripping sweat while everyone else is lifting and watching the game or sipping on their shakes.

Back