M.r.i. Report Back

Mad Dawg

Found out that i tore my hybiscus under the knee cap oh not sure exact spelling. Anyway its a in and out surgery. They say a couple weeks recovery with some kind of exercise treatment afterwards. Just wondering if anybody else has had this type of surgery. If so let me know what else i might expect with this surgery. Oh will i be able to still do upperbody workouts while recovering or do i have to put a halt on workouts until iam healed up. DAM i hope not. P.S. can a person return to normal leg exercises after recovery or are we limited. Oh its microscopic surgery by the way. Mad Dawg!!!!!

Will they be replacing anything in your knee? Microscopic surgery usually has speedier recovery times. I do think that you should totally rest though. You won't be able to walk well for the first 3-4 days and then you'll have to be careful with bending/extending your knee. IMO 2-3 weeks off the gym is absolutely necessary. Physical therapy MUST follow when you can walk better after a week or so.

Knee surgery Hey Musclemar!

As long as i dont tear it any more than it already is they say it should be standard repair. But the only thing that sucks is iam trying to get by until late october. Reason being that the work i do is seasonal here. But its looking like iam not going to out last the wait for october. Just had a knee brace put on today because the pain is getting worse. Most of the pain is being tranfered to the inside of my leg and not directly over the knee cap. My guess is iam screwed. I thought about asking for a shot of some cortizon but anyway time will tell. Mad Dawg!!!!:40oz: :40oz:

You will know after surgery whether you can lift or not. I doubt it, I felt like dog shit after my surgery for almost 3 weeks. Sick, achey, tired. Of course mine was back surgery, but lifting was the last thing my body was telling me it wanted.

if it is just a tear in the meniscus they will just tidy it up, ie remove the shitty torn parts.
the menisci is made of fibrocartliage, there are two in the knee joint, the medial and lateral.You have probably only damaged one of them. The menisci have a few functions, they act as shock absorbers,help with weight bearing across the joint, help smooth the surfaces between the tibia and the femur, aid lubrication in the joint, and help the locking mechanism of the joint ( like when you stand straight up).
Hopefully it is only a small tear, and will easily be reapaired by the surgeon, it is not good if they remove a large amount. No meniscus=arthritis( bone on bone articulation, and wear)
Yes you can still train upper body. Most people recover from "key hole" surgery in a matter of weeks , depending on what is done of course. Some football players return to the field within weeks of surgery. Just make sure you do all of your post op rehab exercises and you should be fine
good luck

Back