My son wants and needs size

Bro my son was skinny until last year at about 11 and a half he started to gain weight and grow taller. So I'd give it some more time.

Sometimes what our kids want isn't always the best for them, sometimes what we want for them isn't either. Some thing to think about Bro, parent to parent;)

JohnnyB

I agree with JCP2.You sound like a father trying to live vicariously through your son.Let the boy be and let nature take its course.

Last edited:
Lancer,
Has he reached puberty yet? If not he'll probably really blossom when all that test hits.
My son is 13, hit puberty about a year and a half ago. Now he's approaching 6 feet and weighs 220! Scary!
I don't see you trying to force feed him or push him; sounds like he's into it, only you and he know for sure.
Trying to get our kids to eat right is a real challenge. Just because we did OK with Big Mac's, pizza, and soft drinks is no excuse for promulgating that idea in our offspring, as some have suggested.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with adding other FOODS (ie, protein supplements) to his regimen, based on his desire. Good protein supplements are something I wish I'd had as a preadolescent; I'd probably be taller than my 6 feet! I'd encourage him to eat good whole foods; regardless of sports, that habit will serve him well into middle age and beyond. Childhood obesity is epidemic because of refined carbohydrate intake and large amounts of hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. The health risks of this diet is high. The health risks of proper supplementation for your son are next to none.
The only other thing I'd say is this: sometimes kids have thyroid and/or adrenal dysfunction that is "flying below the radar" of normal exams and testing. Look into the Broda Barnes Foundation or other info, because this will not be found with your local family practice doc, or even the local endocrinologists, most likely. None of this is life threatening and may not apply at all to your son; I mention it only for the sake of being complete (BTW, yes, my son is on low dose thyroid supplementation).

MY, my, my... It just never ends! I give up! New post by Quiet man reads, I agree with JCP2.You sound like a father trying to live vicariously through your son.Let the boy be and let nature take its course. Now I'm trying to live through my son?? I'm done. This has gone way too far. Sorry guys, you don't agree, that's fine but slandering and accusing a devoted father to something so selfish, I guess I came to the wrong spot.

Thanks for the posts guys, JCP2 and buffdoc thanks for taking the time to stick with this disscusson and adding your opinions. Jonny B, I always take advice from another parent, thanks man! I'll tell him to stick with it andlook for those future hairs below the belt, lol.

Powerhouse9 said:
have him do squats, bench, basic curls, practically all the basic exercises , eat tons and most importantly sleep.

Bingo. A limited weight lifting regimen, and a bit of extra good quality food like chicken, turkey, milk, sounds like a good bet for him.

Victorian guy said:
Bingo. A limited weight lifting regimen, and a bit of extra good quality food like chicken, turkey, milk, sounds like a good bet for him.

Oh really? A weight lifting regimen at 11 years old? Pull your head out of your asshole, an 11 year old will suffer bone growth problems doing weighted squats and anything that puts that kind of pressure on his spine. Lancer, you want my advice? Go to a professional doctor. I'll be honest, after reading a lot of the posts on here I wouldn't trust these people as far as I can throw them. Good luck man.

Victorian guy said:
Bro a boy in a prepuberty stage of life doesn't need to be lifting weight, it could cause hernias. Once their testicles have dropped, then after a medical check for hernias, he can lift if he is ok.

JohnnyB

lancer said:
MY, my, my... It just never ends! I give up! New post by Quiet man reads, I agree with JCP2.You sound like a father trying to live vicariously through your son.Let the boy be and let nature take its course. Now I'm trying to live through my son?? I'm done. This has gone way too far. Sorry guys, you don't agree, that's fine but slandering and accusing a devoted father to something so selfish, I guess I came to the wrong spot.

Thanks for the posts guys, JCP2 and buffdoc thanks for taking the time to stick with this disscusson and adding your opinions. Jonny B, I always take advice from another parent, thanks man! I'll tell him to stick with it andlook for those future hairs below the belt, lol.
Bro when ever you ask a question that is controversial you going to get an array of answers especially on the net. Don't let this thread discourage you.

JohnnyB

I remember when I was 10 that all my jock friends were told BY THE COACH to drink a couple cans of some Ensure-like stuff (whatever was around in 1980), so I don't think Lancer's question is that out of line.

Of course, that's not to say that Lancer doesn't need serious therapy...

Lonewolf, it's a miracle man, we agree onsomething, lol! Your right lone there's some really bad info pumping out of this site.
DTOX, there's not enough therapy, prozac, paxil, zoloft for me man. Take care ya'll.

By the way, I'm suprised nobody advised me to grind up some A bombs in that shake, lol
lancer

TheQuietMan said:
I agree with JCP2.You sound like a father trying to live vicariously through your son.Let the boy be and let nature take its course.
I don't think i ever said this.

I think he was saying that he agrees with what you said, then he was adding his own input.. i thought the same thing at first, numbnuts;)

Lonewolf said:
I think he was saying that he agrees with what you said, then he was adding his own input.. i thought the same thing at first, numbnuts;)
Oh, is see now, lol.

Hey Lonewolf. :flipoff:

let the time take its course....playing with him at that age could result in slowing his metabolism and causing him to get fat.

JohnnyB said:
Bro a boy in a prepuberty stage of life doesn't need to be lifting weight, it could cause hernias. Once their testicles have dropped, then after a medical check for hernias, he can lift if he is ok.

JohnnyB

Alright. Forget what I said about a limited weight lifting regimen, I wasn't aware of the risks, i.e., hernia.
So more or less leave the kid be, encourage him to eat right (not eat alot) and forget about football for now.

Lonewolf said:
Oh really? A weight lifting regimen at 11 years old? Pull your head out of your asshole, an 11 year old will suffer bone growth problems doing weighted squats and anything that puts that kind of pressure on his spine. B]

Do you have to object in those terms? Looking for a flame war?
Really? Bone growth problems? Any studies backing this claim?
I said limited, i.e., nothing too intense. If you don't agree, fair enough.
No need to start swearing at people. This isn't the conversation/flame war forum.

Do I have to flame? No. Are my claims of bone growth issues proven? Yes. Should you give advice if you don't know what you're talking about? No.

Lonewolf said:
Do I have to flame? No. Are my claims of bone growth issues proven? Yes. Should you give advice if you don't know what you're talking about? No.

If possible, direct me to a source of info about bone growth issues and weightlifting. I started lifting when I was 15. Could I have stunted my growth? Steroids can cause growth plates to close- but weightlifting alone? I have never read of lifting weights affecting bone growth- except that it increases bone density.

Since you know what you are talking about, obviously you've researched the matter, and I'd like to enlighten myself.
So what book or website would you recommend, or if possible, the study(ies) proving your claims.
Thanks.

Back