New guy and need a brewing home!

warmouth

I have been reading over all these great posts here, and since I am no longer welcome from another "place" this seems the one. You guys have alot different methods than I am used to trying or reading about others, but it does make sense. Many of you say autoclaving is outdated, and baking is a better choice. Really cool there. I find that even though there is some good in autoclaving, it isnt necessary, for me anyways, becasue I use 3%BA typically, and hold off using for a few days. I do have alot of questions for you knowlwdgeable brewers, but before I ask alot, Ill read through older threads first to see if my answers can be answered without bugging y'all. Thanks guys. Glad to be here!

Autoclaving is most certainly NOT outdated. Autoclaving is superior to "baking" in every way except for cost, and that's only because you already have an oven. Autoclaving also sterilizes all of your tools and other materials. Check out Autoclave bags for small, low temperature items like butyl stoppers and magnetic stirrers

Welcome aboard. Where are you no longer "welcome"?

Autoclave is basically just a pressure cooker, autoclave can reach higher pressures then most normal pressure cookers, but I think 15psi is around the norm. And an increase of 1psi increases the boiling point of water roughly 3°f so instead of boiling at 212f it will boil around 257°f.

Basically the combination of the pressure and higher temps make for alot better sterilization of items in the autoclave/pressure cooker.

Edit- its also obviously a wet and pressurized heat instead of a dry heat, which I believe makes it sterilize more effectively and quicker then dry heat alone.

Last edited:
What questions did you have. There are basic recipes that are tried and true.... I'm new to this board too.....

Back