New, need advice...

I agree that she should be lifting AS WELL as cardio but cardio and diet should be her MAIN focus. ie my comment about lifting (building mass) being her secondary focus.

A person weighing 182 is going to have a bf% high enough to endure longer cardio sessions without burning muscle.

ChicOnSwole said:
I agree that she should be lifting AS WELL as cardio but cardio and diet should be her MAIN focus. ie my comment about lifting (building mass) being her secondary focus.

A person weighing 182 is going to have a bf% high enough to endure longer cardio sessions without burning muscle.

I disagree...

Why endure longer cardio sessions when she can be burning more calories through her raised metabolism from her new muscle that she has from lifting weights?

I do agree that diet should be number 1 on her list though to nail down...

Then everything else will fall into place!
1st - Diet
2nd - Weights
3rd - Cardio
4th - Supplements

They are all based upon one another, however if you do not have the 1st one, you are not going to see much results with the rest!!

:afro:

Why? Because you get from your body what you give. So, why not? You will not get the same result with just tweaking your diet. You should be BOTH tweaking your diet AND busting you ass on cardio.

Okay here is my point once again. She should be doing BOTH but she needs to do longer cardio sessions in ADDITION to her training.

Look, I do long cardio sessions and balls to the wall training and was 205lbs 15-16% bf 5'6" (pre cutting cycle) and have been 185lbs 12% bf so losing muscle mass is apparently not as easy as you think. ;)

Disagree with me on diet #of carbs when to eat them etc and you may be right but don't disagree with me on how to train. Your body is a result of your training ... I will post my results and backup my advice.

Cardio should be your main focus ... drop your bodyfat first.

I DO NOT mean for this to come off as bitchy by any means but when personal experience (my own) proves differently I refuse to just go along with what someone may have read somewhere. If someone comes on this thread who is bigger or has better result than I do, fine I will listen but until then...

I have given good advice and stand by it 100%

ChicOnSwole is right on this one. Training is training, I dont care who you are. If you have a lot of excess fat, not just some college beer fat, but a LOT of fat, there is the hard way to lose it, and the harder way.

The hard way is busting you ass with cardio...LOTS of cardio. The harder way is worrying about muscle loss and limiting your cardio. Now it is true that if you half ass your cardio sessions, and begin losing muscle by not weight training, you may very well make no progress at all. But if you BUST your ass, then you will shed fat when combined with a good diet.

All principles of bodybuilding say that you should burn off excess fat before you concentrate on bulking, or building new muscle. Chic is not suggesting that she do no weight traaining at all, but that it should be a secondary motivation. And brenyy, she is not going to elevate her metabolism enough by adding muscle that it would surpass the effects of an intense cardio schedule. Conversely, losing a LITTLE muscle due to the stress of an intense cardio program is not going to effect her metabolism negatively enough for this program to be inefficient.

This is not magic people. You can only get big or fat if you feed your body with the calories it requires to do so. If it does not get these calories, and you increase the amount of calories consumed(through intense cardio) then you will lose weight. Argue about diet all you want, there are many sucessful diet programs, but the fact of the matter is, without intense cardio you will not lose the amount of fat that you are looking to lose. You(nevaeh) were in the army, you should know this...im sure you ran your ass off in basic.

I'm not even going to get into Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use here because it seems like most of you woouldn't agree with me anyways, but that is beside the point. Run, bike, etc, your ass off...and dont ignore weight training but dont focus on it either for now. I stand by my advice 100% as well, and I have never hidden behind a keyboard...my pics are posted for those who doubt me.

Osiris of dis Shit said:
ChicOnSwole is right on this one. Training is training, I dont care who you are. If you have a lot of excess fat, not just some college beer fat, but a LOT of fat, there is the hard way to lose it, and the harder way.

The hard way is busting you ass with cardio...LOTS of cardio. The harder way is worrying about muscle loss and limiting your cardio. Now it is true that if you half ass your cardio sessions, and begin losing muscle by not weight training, you may very well make no progress at all. But if you BUST your ass, then you will shed fat when combined with a good diet.

All principles of bodybuilding say that you should burn off excess fat before you concentrate on bulking, or building new muscle. Chic is not suggesting that she do no weight traaining at all, but that it should be a secondary motivation. And brenyy, she is not going to elevate her metabolism enough by adding muscle that it would surpass the effects of an intense cardio schedule. Conversely, losing a LITTLE muscle due to the stress of an intense cardio program is not going to effect her metabolism negatively enough for this program to be inefficient.

This is not magic people. You can only get big or fat if you feed your body with the calories it requires to do so. If it does not get these calories, and you increase the amount of calories consumed(through intense cardio) then you will lose weight. Argue about diet all you want, there are many sucessful diet programs, but the fact of the matter is, without intense cardio you will not lose the amount of fat that you are looking to lose. You(nevaeh) were in the army, you should know this...im sure you ran your ass off in basic.

I'm not even going to get into Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) use here because it seems like most of you woouldn't agree with me anyways, but that is beside the point. Run, bike, etc, your ass off...and dont ignore weight training but dont focus on it either for now. I stand by my advice 100% as well, and I have never hidden behind a keyboard...my pics are posted for those who doubt me.

Nice post, I agree!

I agree that cardio should be the #1 focus, lose excess bf, weights for metabolism, and concentrate on muscle in the fall... I dont see the debate in this situation - she doesn't have much muscle to be concerned about....

ChicOnSwole said:
Why? Because you get from your body what you give. So, why not? You will not get the same result with just tweaking your diet. You should be BOTH tweaking your diet AND busting you ass on cardio.

Okay here is my point once again. She should be doing BOTH but she needs to do longer cardio sessions in ADDITION to her training.

Look, I do long cardio sessions and balls to the wall training and was 205lbs 15-16% bf 5'6" (pre cutting cycle) and have been 185lbs 12% bf so losing muscle mass is apparently not as easy as you think. ;)

Disagree with me on diet #of carbs when to eat them etc and you may be right but don't disagree with me on how to train. Your body is a result of your training ... I will post my results and backup my advice.

Cardio should be your main focus ... drop your bodyfat first.

I DO NOT mean for this to come off as bitchy by any means but when personal experience (my own) proves differently I refuse to just go along with what someone may have read somewhere. If someone comes on this thread who is bigger or has better result than I do, fine I will listen but until then...

I have given good advice and stand by it 100%

Whoa! No one has said you've given bad advice.

Training is an individual thing. What works for you may not work for her. We are all here to learn and help one another. Please don't get defensive when someone's experience differs from your own.

Back