New program - training after shoulder surgery

Melbourne

The surgery worked. The damage in my shoulder was repaired. Pain and restriction have continued due to adhesions and inflammation.

I am back in the gym. I am allowed to workout within the limitations of pain. That's all I wanted to hear. After a whole year of not training, I'd be more than happy to train with some pain.

The question is: How do I get the most out of my training now? I have done the slow and steady work to rebuild the muscles around my shoulder and I am ready to start builiding up some size and strength. I have discovered the 5x5 program and am starting to get into it. I had a go at it last year but the shoulder was not ready. My legs are pretty strong because I was able to train them with squats and deads while I was injured. No big weights yet but I think my technique is sound.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What do you think will work best?

I have always thought that bumping your own thread was lame so I'll only do it once.

I would be, as always, grateful for any suggestions.

yeah but wat was the surgery. was it just scope or open for labral repair and have they cut through deltoid

for the moment I would stay with higher rep ( 10 at minimum) and work it like this for at least the next 3 months.

generally you are gonna be ok as most activities aren't going to impinge on the labram anyhow.

I would probably steer clear of upright rows and just focus on your standard pressing lifts. how did you do it in the first place?

Rugby tackle.

As for my training, I have already done the hard yards to slowly correct my posture and develope my shoulder muscles. I'm ready to move on.

Last edited:
Melbourne said:
Pain and restriction have continued due to adhesions and inflammation.

I am back in the gym. I am allowed to workout within the limitations of pain.

The question is: How do I get the most out of my training now?

What do you think will work best?

mate I don't know what else to tell you. If you still have pain and restriction in the joint then I would not be doing 5x5 or anything heavy until that was 100%.

I hear you saying that you are ready to move on, but until you have painfree movt, then you are not ready for heavy lifting. Stick with higher reps and slowly increase the weight as you feel better and better.

is there any instability in the shoulder??? If so there are specific exercises to help with this.

good luck

No, there is no instability. There is still some restriction due to inflammation but it has quitened right down to the point where it is pretty good. I've been given the okay to get stuck into gym, but I have to be careful about the biceps tendon which seems to be the main culprit in the ongoing problems.

If I wait for the tendonitis to go away I could be waiting for years, or so the physio says. I'm not prepared to wait. I'm 40.

Melbourne said:
I've been given the okay to get stuck into gym, but I have to be careful about the biceps tendon which seems to be the main culprit in the ongoing problems.

If I wait for the tendonitis to go away I could be waiting for years, or so the physio says. I'm not prepared to wait. I'm 40.

so whats the point in asking for help, you are obviously just going to do what you want anyway.

In all the cases I have seen, tendonitis does not recover unless it is given rest. smashing heavy weights in the gym is not going to help.

but what the fuck? your 40 ,and you can't be fucked waiting,go fuck your body up some more and come back and post up how you need some rehab help in 3 months time cause your shoulders still stuffed

good luck champ

Back