O/T: Anti-hangover pill

gorilla_boy

Special
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,1047700,00.html

Movie stars get hung up on KGB's anti-hangover drug

Nick Paton Walsh in Moscow
Tuesday September 23, 2003
The Guardian

A drug created by the former KGB to keep its agents sober so that they could drink opponents under the table before stealing their secrets is being sold on the internet to Hollywood stars as a defence against hangovers.
The drug, known as RU-21, is made in Russia and sold as a natural remedy on the internet. Hollywood actors are said to be fond of the fix, called after the American legal drinking age, which enables them to make the most of LA's party circuit without red eyes or pounding headaches detracting from their delivering the goods on the film set next morning.

Its makers claim that it stops the body making an enzyme which turns alcohol into acetaldehyde, a toxic chemical which can damage tissues.

The pill lets you get drunk, but indefinitely delays the hangover and damage to the body's organs.

A little less convenient, the makers say that you have to take two pills before or during every two drinks - a suspicious activity in trendy watering holes.

The KGB invented the drug just after the second world war.

The secrets of the pill were declassified in 1999, and it was developed into a market commodity by scientists at the Russian Academy of Sciences as part of an extended study of alcohol's effects on the body. Its makers and Californian marketeers say it is selling to the tune of $10,000 (£6,000) a week.

"Russians can out-drink anybody in the world anyway," said Emil Chiaberi, head of Spirit Sciences, which sells the pill in the US.

"I don't know why they needed a pill."

Wow it is available over the counter. This could be very good for AS users that also like to have a few drinks but are worried about liver damage.

No its legal I have read about it and seen it on the boob tube.
I have started to use Chaser it is all natural and it works pretty good!

I would like to get a hold of some of this stuff where is a good website?

LION

Taken from www.ru-21.com

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
RU-21 is an all-natural supplement that has been clinically proven to regulate alcohol metabolism in order to prevent alcohol-related damage to the vital organs of the body. RU-21 was developed by the scientists at the Russian Academy of Sciences in the course of a 25 year-long research project studying alcohol metabolism.

HOW IT WORKS
When alcohol is consumed, it enters cells and is broken down into acetaldehyde. Acetaldehyde is an extremely toxic compound believed to be responsible for both, most alcohol-related diseases and the addictive process itself.
The reaction is as follows:
CH3CH2OH+NAD+® CH3CHO+NADN+H+ (1)
Then an enzyme called aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2) converts the acetaldehyde into acetic acid, which is non-toxic and can be readily used by the body to provide energy, eventually breaking down into water and carbon dioxide. However, the body is only able to metabolize a certain amount of acetaldehyde within a certain period of time regardless of how much alcohol is being consumed. Consequently, alcohol consumption often results in excess acetaldehyde entering blood stream and causing severe damage to the vital organs and functions of the body.

RU-21 balances alcohol metabolism by slowing down the process of ethanol oxidation into acetaldehyde, so less acetaldehyde occurs in the first place, and then speeding up the process of acetaldehyde decomposition into acetic acid and then water and carbon dioxide.

The first task – slowing down ethanol oxidation into acetaldehyde was accomplished by the inclusion of dextrose (glucose) into the formula. Dextrose rapidly oxidizes in cytosol of liver cells using the same cytosol NAD pool used by ethanol to convert into acetaldehyde, thereby creating a deficit of cytosol NAD needed for the reaction (1) shown above.

Further, the acceleration of decomposition of acetaldehyde and acetic acid into CO2 and H2O and the energizing of mitochondria were accomplished through activation of aerobic oxidation processes in mitochondria by way of introducing substrates (Succinic Acid, Fumaric Acid), which activate the second half-cycle of tricarboxylic acids. Succinate substrate, which is independent of NADN-dehydrogenase prevents acetaldehyde from causing hypoxia, which often results form the accumulation of suboxidized metabolites, and from impeding NADN oxidation in the respiratory chain of cells.

L-Glutamine was added to the formula to speed up the mitochondria-cytosolic malate-aspartate shuttle, which plays key role in the course of acetaldehyde intoxication development. It also speeds up succinate oxidation process (by preventing oxalic and acetic inhibition of succinate dehydrogenase). In addition, it transforms itself into a-ketoglutarate during a rapid oxidation in Crebs cycle. And finally, the proper concentration of L-Glutamine positively influences glutamate and GAMC synapses in the brain, improving coordination and inhibition processes affected by alcohol intoxication.

Ascorbic Acid was added to the formula in order to activate anti-oxidant systems of the central nervous system, liver and hormone-active tissues (affected by hypoxia and acetaldehyde) and to support adrenal gland cortex, which produces anti-stress hormones.

Wow. This DOES sound good. As was posted above, it also seems to have the ability to help mitigate liver-related sides for people who were leery of drinking while on gear. Bump for info on its legality.

STANG 98 said:
Wow. This DOES sound good. As was posted above, it also seems to have the ability to help mitigate liver-related sides for people who were leery of drinking while on gear. Bump for info on its legality.

It is over the counter bro and available from the companies website,
www.ru-21.com

When I first read this I thought it was bullshit. Now that I read their description, I am even more skeptical. Look at the ingredients: dextrose, vitamin C, glutamine, and succinic acid, fumaric acid. You don't need a pill to get dextrose or vitamin C, and the glutamine won't get absorbed anyway, so essentially the only thing you are getting is some succinate and fumarate. Sounds like BS to me.

Back