protecting your liver

rollercoaster

cuban refugee
What are some methods you guys use to protect your liver when "on" a cycle.
I've recently started running some Anavar (var) and wanted to know how long I can expand it with the right liver protectors.

Keeping doses reasonable (400-600mg total Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) weekly); staying away from harsh oral Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) (Basically only use Oxandrolone); keeping cycles around eight weeks. If you do all these things, then liver protectants aren't really necessary. Do not think for a minute that liver protectants provide 100% protection.

DrJMW said:
Do not think for a minute that liver protectants provide 100% protection.

Surely not DOC.....but I completely disagree with.........

DrJMW said:
Keeping doses reasonable (400-600mg total Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) weekly); staying away from harsh oral Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) (Basically only use Oxandrolone); keeping cycles around eight weeks. If you do all these things, then liver protectants aren't really necessary

We have all (hopefully) "accepted" that the liver is adversely effected from most AS (either DIRECTLY or INDIRECTLY including injectables). The fact that this organ plays such an important role for us bb'ders (as well as ALL people) it's paramount to us bb'ers to maintain an optimally functioning liver. Supplementing (NAC/Thistle/ala..etc) fascilitates this extra protection and IMO, should be used YEAR-ROUND as some studiies haver indicated that some of these supps are more effective post-cycle (hepatogic recovery).

Some of the liver's most important functions include:

Metabolizing the nutrients for life: proteins, fats, carbohydrates.

Detoxification... Turns toxic materials into non-toxic substances for expulsion.

Manufacturing and secreting bile in order to absorb fat-soluble nutrients and eliminate toxic substances.

Purifying the blood... Filters bacteria, endotoxins, antibodies-antigens and other particles from the circulation.

Acts as a blood bank for 20 to 30% of the body's blood.

Manufacturing blood clotting agents and blood proteins.

Manufacturing metabolizing and storing hormones.

Fat metabolism... Controls triglycerides, cholesterol, other blood fats and body fat levels.

(to name a few)

:beertoast to a HEALTHY LIVER!

Last edited:
There aren't enough guys using over 1g+ weekly of AAS, taking liver protectants, and showing me healthy liver and kidney function on a blood test. I have to be practical. On the other hand, I do see lots of healthy liver and kidney function results with guys using 400-600mg total Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) weekly, proper ancillaries, proper diet and taking no liver protectants.

DrJMW said:
There aren't enough guys using over 1g+ weekly of AAS, taking liver protectants, and showing me healthy liver and kidney function on a blood test. I have to be practical. On the other hand, I do see lots of healthy liver and kidney function results with guys using 400-600mg total Anabolic Androgenic Steroids (AAS) weekly, proper ancillaries, proper diet and taking no liver protectants.
whats your opinion on how much laying off all alcohol and tylenol/etc. makes when you are cycling ?

I run lonnng cycles at fairly moderate doses for months at a time. I use large amounts of ALA, CLA, NAC, MILK THISTLE and GUGGUL LIPID year around, I also use alot of vitimins and extra minerals. I get bloodwork often and my kidney, liver and blood profiles are always quite good. I will say that I do not run any orals other than anavar for long peroids of time though.:chimney:

liftsiron said:
I run lonnng cycles at fairly moderate doses for months at a time. I use large amounts of ALA, CLA, NAC, MILK THISTLE and GUGGUL LIPID year around, I also use alot of vitimins and extra minerals. I get bloodwork often and my kidney, liver and blood profiles are always quite good. I will say that I do not run any orals other than anavar for long peroids of time though.:chimney:
i have similar results even though i do run winnie and dbol , but not massive amounts or long cycles . the only alarming blood work i ever had was when i had the flu and i didnt realize that all the different cold/flu meds i was taking had tylenol in them and my values went throught the roof , luckily the returned to normal

See the article I posted on "AAS and Your Liver." Chronic intake of orals and alcohol will stress the liver. All oral meds have to pass through the liver to be activated and many pass through more than once. Injectables, on the other hand, go right to the target tissues, so the liver is minimally involved. It is the chronic, excessive doses that involve the liver--what doesn't go to the target tisues, end up in the liver and kidneys for disposal. Obviously, for some people, the use of liver protectants seems to work, but again, I do not see enough blood testing to render a judgement. The word of a few people isn't good enough--I have to be practical.

DrJMW said:
See the article I posted on "AAS and Your Liver." Chronic intake of orals and alcohol will stress the liver. All oral meds have to pass through the liver to be activated and many pass through more than once. Injectables, on the other hand, go right to the target tissues, so the liver is minimally involved. It is the chronic, excessive doses that involve the liver--what doesn't go to the target tisues, end up in the liver and kidneys for disposal. Obviously, for some people, the use of liver protectants seems to work, but again, I do not see enough blood testing to render a judgement. The word of a few people isn't good enough--I have to be practical.

I run long cycles, but I rarely use any orals other than anavar, i rarely drink alcohol, I don't do any rec drugs and I hardly ever use any pain meds. Still I get fairly frequent blood work.

Good post DrJMW:)

Back