Protein Powders - which ones for me?

bigben66

I’ve lost track of the amount of times in the last couple of months, that people have asked my opinion on ‘what is the best protein powder on the market?’.

Gym-goers are obviously gearing themselves up for a big push as the New Year gets underway, and want to be sure that they have all the angles covered with regard to supplementation.

But let’s take a look at that word ‘supplement’.

If you look in the dictionary, the word ‘supplement’ means “a thing added to something else in order to complete it, or enhance it”.

So here’s my advice for all those people who want to know what the best protein powder is on the market.

Buy the powder that agrees with your stomach, comes at a reasonable price, and tastes half decent. Because unless you are tracking every macro, and ticking all the boxes with regard to beef, chicken, eggs, turkey, fish etc – it isn’t going to matter one aota whether your powder is an isolate, a concentrate, a milk protein or a caseinate.

It’s like the guy that goes to McDonald’s and orders 2 x Big Mac’s and a diet coke. The diet coke isn’t going to make a dent in the other crap he is throwing down his neck!

Conclusion: Protein powders should only be used to fill in the gaps and make up the numbers for what your whole food diet lacks. If you’re necking 3 or 4 shakes a day to make up your quota, then I respectfully suggest you overhaul your dietary plan.

good post, i see it all the time, people work in 3-4 shakes a day into there diet.

i was told years ago to EAT your protein. shakes are used as a supplement only for me. normally no more than 1 a day. 2 on really busy days.

It***8217;s like the guy that goes to McDonald***8217;s and orders 2 x Big Mac***8217;s and a diet coke. The diet coke isn***8217;t going to make a dent in the other crap he is throwing down his neck!

Conclusion: Protein powders should only be used to fill in the gaps and make up the numbers for what your whole food diet lacks. If you***8217;re necking 3 or 4 shakes a day to make up your quota, then I respectfully suggest you overhaul your dietary plan.

That is so true about adding a diet coke to a meal from Micky D's, just makes me shake my head in frustration at the stupidity of people who are not stupid at all, these are intelligent educated people, but when they think that a diet coke ( and alot of us in here know what really is in a diet soda and how much worst they are than the basic soda) can negate the ill effects of burgers and fries I just sigh. Look at me talking about taking short cuts, I took shortcuts half my life and ended up in bad places I just dont want anyone else to have to go through what I have.

and like Jack3d14 says, supplements are supposed to supplement your diet not replace it. Well said Bigben

Last edited:
i agree but sometimes if you are having stomach problems which kind of protein powder does matter.In that case i would use iso besides that i just use a good tasting whey concentrate

i know alot of strict dieters are anal about it though. Which is understandable

Ok I have to play devil's advocate and say that regardless of how many burgers you are throwing down, it DOES make sense to drink diet soda over regular soda. 50-100 grams of pure sugar on top of all that saturated fat WILL make a measurable difference. This is especially true if you think about it over the long term. If someone drinks 3 cans of soda every day and replaces it with 3 cans of diet soda, that's 150 grams / 600 calories of sugar per day eliminated from their diet. It could be the difference between relative health and ********* syndrome for someone that doesn't take great care of themself.

Ok I have to play devil's advocate and say that regardless of how many burgers you are throwing down, it DOES make sense to drink diet soda over regular soda. 50-100 grams of pure sugar on top of all that saturated fat WILL make a measurable difference. This is especially true if you think about it over the long term. If someone drinks 3 cans of soda every day and replaces it with 3 cans of diet soda, that's 150 grams / 600 calories of sugar per day eliminated from their diet. It could be the difference between relative health and ********* syndrome for someone that doesn't take great care of themself.

Interesting POV.

There is a site that actually checks up all the protein powder to see which one has the most accurate label. Idk if its against the rules to post up such sites so i wont till i know.

Back