Regarding HSV-2 (genital herpes)

old timer

brazilian jiu-jitsu guy
Hey guys,

I've decided to make a thread regarding the subject of having hsv-2(genital herpes) and joining the military(navy, airforce, coastgaurd, etc.)

If I wanted to join the navy or coast gaurd, for example, will I be rejected from the application process due to having genital herpes.

As far as medications, I take only one tablet of valtrax(500mg) per day.

I just want to know if having hsv-2 puts me in a dis-advantage in regards to joining military or even civil police.

Thanks guys and God bless,

Jeff

ther's a guys registered here, ( could not connect by now) he told me cyclaradine is usefull for these things.

From what I know, it wouldn't be so much the herpes as it would be that you take a rx-med daily. Most of the time they want you med free for all of basic and AIT/tech training. I know several guys who's records had them on sometime "daily" and they were disqualified. They eventually got in but had to go off the meds and have a doc make a statement that they were fine without daily therapy of drug-x.
I think you'll be fine though.. Not to sound dishonest but I wouldn't say anything about it unless you KNOW they will find out. You know it doesn't effect you so it shouldn't matter. You can usually be honest with your recruiter though and he'll coach you on what to say, etc.. I know mine did :)

Back