Right Hip is killing me when i do squats

Theonlyoperator

By about my third set my right hip and groin are killing me when i squat, has anyone had this problem and if so are there some excersises i can do to help strengthen this area?

Hopefully its not an injury here are a few thing to consider....

-stretch before \after workouts
-make sure you have enough warmups sets
-Do the ab\adductors
-Do your core\heavy abs work

Hope this helps. There are alot of experienced guys over here and I am sure they will chime in and help you out as well.

Last edited:
yeah i didnt used to warm up, just some light stretching and a warm up set. But now that my hip has started to hurt i warm up for like 5 mins. on an excersize bike then stretch out thouroghly. I do good mornings on the same day as squats and heavy abs twice a week. thanks for the advice man.

how much weight we talking? and post a video up to see if its a form issue. mister 69 was right though it could be an injury that needs to heal. not enough info.

you could have a problem with your hip flexor,
it's an extremely sucky injury. i would suggest stretching a lot beforehand.

in H.S. i ran 50-60 miles per week from June (right after my junior track season),
until next march (beggining of my senior track season), and there was of course some
mixing up with cross country workouts from august-october. and then after a few meets into my season, BAM...my hip got jacked up & now i'm paying for college instead of having an athletic scholorship....haha

get used to stretching regularly ..... i used to have that problem,,,,, then i started stretching and its MUCH better. . . .

i dont know if i could get a video, but i'll see what i can do. My form is pretty solid though, i had a great lifting coach in highschool. I'm not moving that much weight yet im only doing 5x5 with 240 (I've never maxed on squats). My hip/groin hurt sometimes doin deads if i didnt get enough rest between my squat and deadlift days, but if i get 72hrs it doesnt really bother me. Does anyone know any good stretches to do? Right know i touch my toes with my feet together then apart, then i sit down and touch my toes then i do this like butterfly stretch to stretch out my groin then i stretch my quads out then a side to side movement with my legs spread standing up.

to be honest, look up some simple yoga stretches. I've never stretched better since I've studied some yoga and learned a little bit. You can find a ton of stuff that you won't look like an idiot in the gym while doing, haha.

Those are all good streches, but remeber you dont want to go crazy and try and stretch like a female dancer and hold it for 3 minutes lol. Just where yuo feel comfortable but still feel a decent stretch hold for a few. Always have 2 full days between squats and pulling. So squat monday and pull thurs or frid.

Try riding the bike before and after leg days to help loosen you up and see how taht goes.

Hope all is well . Oh btw #'s dont mean shit...as long as you are getting stronger all is good. 240# for 5x5 aint bad at all considering you going ass to grass.

Take care

Theonlyoperator said:
i dont know if i could get a video, but i'll see what i can do. My form is pretty solid though, i had a great lifting coach in highschool. I'm not moving that much weight yet im only doing 5x5 with 240 (I've never maxed on squats). My hip/groin hurt sometimes doin deads if i didnt get enough rest between my squat and deadlift days, but if i get 72hrs it doesnt really bother me. Does anyone know any good stretches to do? Right know i touch my toes with my feet together then apart, then i sit down and touch my toes then i do this like butterfly stretch to stretch out my groin then i stretch my quads out then a side to side movement with my legs spread standing up.

Thanks for all the advice guys I'm gonna try warming up and cooling down for 5 mins on the bike then thouroghly stretch out before squats and see that goes.

Theonlyoperator said:
Thanks for all the advice guys I'm gonna try warming up and cooling down for 5 mins on the bike then thouroghly stretch out before squats and see that goes.
most of your stretching should be done after the lift and at home..... then as your body becomes more limber the pain should dissipate. .. too much stretching previous to the lift actually temporarily weakens the muscle. get a quick stretch in the morning when you wake up, after your MAJOR compound lifts and at night when your sitting around watching tv….. one good stretch for the hip is as follows.. kinda hard to describe but I will do my best. Lay on your back with one leg bent foot planted knee up, take the other leg and bring it across the planted leg. (like if you were to cross your legs while sitting in a chair: man style ;) ) …. This gives a nice stretch in the hip area.

On saturday i couldn't even finish my 2nd set on squats cause the pain was so bad. I'm gonna go see a chiropractor when I'm considered a full time student again, and get my health insurance back.

Back